BMWBMW Map Of Members

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Postby dukestodd » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:05 pm

Cool! Go for it!
dukestodd

Postby DUKR » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:29 pm

mrenloe wrote:I made this sticky.

What do you all think about adding this to the www.bmwbmw.org main page?

Sure - why not? It's already public, only those who want to be on there are listed, and it was made beneath the club name...I think it's a fun little feature!
DUKR

I'm in

Postby PhilAger » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:05 pm

Why not show our public face to the public? The spooks and the credit agencies already know everything there is to know... :roll:

I've sent the Nov Spokes to Ted, so the monkey's on his back now...
Ciao! Phil
PhilAger

Making the mapping program a link from the BMWBMW website

Postby georgefalcon » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:10 pm

mrenloe wrote:I made this sticky.

What do you all think about adding this to the www.bmwbmw.org main page?

It's cute, but misleading... in that it would tend to persuade computer-literate members that the entire membership of the club is represented on the map.

I'd like to see a thorough job done (and maintained) in mapping current membership from month to month using the real membership database, correlating that to a map (perhaps one of the DeLorme products I have can show this, or maybe we need an upgrade) and deriving from that a weighted average latitude and longitude which would show the geographic center of the club's membership each month. This would shift slightly each month as memberships expire and renew, new members join, and old farts like me die off. :-)

Knowing the geographic center would serve two constructive purposes:

1. provide recruiting competition incentive, and

2. show us which locations for holiday parties, SRR alternative sites, and RTEs would be most convenient for the greatest number of members each month.
georgefalcon

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:43 pm

Good idea, but many would protest adding their addresses to an open internet forum!

Nice bike George! Gold is your color!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Hello Kitty » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:56 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Good idea, but many would protest adding their addresses to an open internet forum!

Jim 8)

You really did admire George's eyes in the moonlight, didn't you? And here I thought that was joke. Silly blonde - oops redhead now!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby IAMBOB » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:55 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Good idea, but many would protest adding their addresses to an open internet forum!

Jim 8)

You sure it's gold.. thought that was Champagne.. or is that color just a little TOO ghey??
IAMBOB
Board Wizard

Postby DUKR » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:59 am

Jim 8)

I like George's idea...His logic makes a lot of sense for the reasons posted. Would be beneficial to better understand club demographics. The first things that crossed my mind were 1) have events in areas most populated by members for convenience to the greater membership, and alternatively, 2) have some smaller events in areas where membership is sparse, be sure we advertise in the local bike shops (if any) in those areas, those that can will have a nice ride to the event, and hopefully we will generate a few new members.

Jim also has a valid point. Some people have very strong feelings about internet vs privacy issues which need to be considered.

Could a simple compromise be the following:
In order to get the accurate data for any demographic analysis, we integrate the membership database with a mapping program. (Could we do this on our own site?) For those who do not want their addresses associated with a name perhaps only a lat/long point be added? If a name is required for the mapping graphic, it can be something generic like BMWBMW Member.

Just thinking out loud...-so to speak... :wink:
DUKR

Postby dukestodd » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:04 am

Isn’t the address confidentially really a non issue since the map only gets as specific as the zip code? The name isn’t even really an issue since many people only have their “screen name” posted.
dukestodd

Postby MrE » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:07 am

BOXR wrote:

Jim 8)

I like George's idea...His logic makes a lot of sense for the reasons posted. Would be beneficial to better understand club demographics. The first things that crossed my mind were 1) have events in areas most populated by members for convenience to the greater membership, and alternatively, 2) have some smaller events in areas where membership is sparse, be sure we advertise in the local bike shops (if any) in those areas, those that can will have a nice ride to the event, and hopefully we will generate a few new members.

Jim also has a valid point. Some people have very strong feelings about internet vs privacy issues which need to be considered.

Could a simple compromise be the following:
In order to get the accurate data for any demographic analysis, we integrate the membership database with a mapping program. (Could we do this on our own site?) For those who do not want their addresses associated with a name perhaps only a lat/long point be added? If a name is required for the mapping graphic, it can be something generic like BMWBMW Member.

Just thinking out loud...-so to speak... :wink:

I think ZIP code is specific enough. I don't see a need to get to street level accuracy. Members get the membership directory which I think sorts people by ZIP code so you can find people in your area. The map gives a general population distribution, then members can look in the directory and find the exact address of those close by if they desire.

My intent to putting this on the front page was to get people who don't post here to add their names. Text added to the link can indicate that this only shows people who posted their own names so it should not be misleading to anyone. I like the idea of adding everyone in the club to the map but there would need to be an opt out mechanism (or opt in) and maintenance becomes a real chore. Maybe this is something we'll tackle in 2006. For the time being, I'll see if Anton will add it to the front page.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby docpc » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:31 am

JimSnitker wrote:This is great! Good to see where people are, relationally. Funny...they don't recognize my zip code (Philomont, 20131), demonstrating once again that I really do live OUT IN THE STICKS! You CAN hear the banjos from here! :D

I had some communication with the Frapper folks after I found the map wouldn't recognize my ZIP code. Turns out for cost reasons they aren't using the USPO monthly feed of data; they're using the last Census data instead 'cause it's free.

I believe they added my ZIP in to the data base, manually. ;-)
docpc

Postby Flash! » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:31 am

This is waaaay off topic, but I learned a bit about the accident Jim was referring to in his post earlier in this thread. We came on the stopped traffic shortly after crossing the gap, and it necessitated a u-turn and a second trip over the mountain for my little group of riders:

JimSnitker wrote:I was out in Sperryville on Sunday too. Took 211 to the Park and the park to Front Royal; then back south on 678/675 (a great road Jim VB showed me a couple of months ago - and a better ride then the park, especially on weekends). I tried to ride back to Sperryville on 211 from West, but it was closed solid for an accident. The guy putting out flares said a car clipped a MC and it was fatal - but I havn't seen anything in the papers on it since. Did you run into that or hear about it?

One of the other riders sent me this:

On 10/20 Times Community Newspapers, Rappahhannock News wrote:Sports car collides with sport bike on US 211

The Virginia State Police are still investigating an accident involving a Porsche and a motorcycle that occurred on a sharp curve on US-211 west near Turn Bridge on Sunday afternoon. According to Trooper KerriAnne Corbett there are several conflicting accounts of the incident, complicating the investigation. What is known is that 28-year-old Michael Azzarello and his 2000 Honda Motorcycle collided with the 2005 Porsche driven by William Trevillian, 69, of Charlottesville. Police are still investigating whether Azzarello crashed his motorcycle before or after both were struck by the Porsche. Trevillian was not injured but Azzarello was airlifted to UVA hospital following the accident, where he is listed in good condition. The investigation has been complicated by the lack of witnesses, and even the participants in the accident have been unable to provide police with details. According to police Trevillian was not sure if Azzarello was on the motorcycle at the time of the collision or not. Rescue personnel at the scene attempted to find out from Azzarello what had happened but reported that he seemed confused by a possible concussion and did not even know that he had been riding a motorcycle. According to police there is evidence that both parties in the accident were travelling at excessive speed prior to the crash. The posted safe speed for the curve where the incident occurred is 25mph.

Jody
Last edited by Flash! on Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby JimSnitker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:51 am

docpc wrote:
JimSnitker wrote:This is great! Good to see where people are, relationally. Funny...they don't recognize my zip code (Philomont, 20131), demonstrating once again that I really do live OUT IN THE STICKS! You CAN hear the banjos from here! :D

I had some communication with the Frapper folks after I found the map wouldn't recognize my ZIP code. Turns out for cost reasons they aren't using the USPO monthly feed of data; they're using the last Census data instead 'cause it's free.

I believe they added my ZIP in to the data base, manually. ;-)

Cool Doc - you actually got a response from someone at a public website. I'm impressed. I'll email 'em and see if they can add mine too. Where are you that you also live in such an out of the way place?
JimSnitker

Postby JimSnitker » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:55 am

Flash! wrote:This is waaaay off topic, but I learned a bit about the accident Jim was referring to in his post earlier in this thread. We came on the stopped traffic shortly after crossing the gap, and it necessitated a u-turn and a second trip over the mountain for my little group of riders:

I was out in Sperryville on Sunday too. Took 211 to the Park and the park to Front Royal; then back south on 678/675 (a great road Jim VB showed me a couple of months ago - and a better ride then the park, especially on weekends). I tried to ride back to Sperryville on 211 from West, but it was closed solid for an accident. The guy putting out flares said a car clipped a MC and it was fatal - but I havn't seen anything in the papers on it since. Did you run into that or hear about it?

Sports car collides with sport bike on US 211

The Virginia State Police are still investigating an accident involving a Porsche and a motorcycle that occurred on a sharp curve on US-211 west near Turn Bridge on Sunday afternoon. According to Trooper KerriAnne Corbett there are several conflicting accounts of the incident, complicating the investigation. What is known is that 28-year-old Michael Azzarello and his 2000 Honda Motorcycle collided with the 2005 Porsche driven by William Trevillian, 69, of Charlottesville. Police are still investigating whether Azzarello crashed his motorcycle before or after both were struck by the Porsche. Trevillian was not injured but Azzarello was airlifted to UVA hospital following the accident, where he is listed in good condition. The investigation has been complicated by the lack of witnesses, and even the participants in the accident have been unable to provide police with details. According to police Trevillian was not sure if Azzarello was on the motorcycle at the time of the collision or not. Rescue personnel at the scene attempted to find out from Azzarello what had happened but reported that he seemed confused by a possible concussion and did not even know that he had been riding a motorcycle. According to police there is evidence that both parties in the accident were travelling at excessive speed prior to the crash. The posted safe speed for the curve where the incident occurred is 25mph.

Jody

Good info Flash - I was stuck in that downhill traffic and U-turned also, back to 340 and up to Front Royal to get home. My riding buddy Karl sent me this description last night from DC sportbikes website:

Here is the skinny from DCSportbike.com on the crash last week.

Karl

Re: Crash on 211 sunday 10/16

Neither were doing anything wrong..the accident happened in front of me and a few friends as we were heading out.

There was oil in one of the turns which caused the crash...the rider wasn't doing anything wrong and this could have taken out pretty much anyone since it was in a blind spot.

The porsche happened to be coming down the hill just as the rider stepped into his lane (most likely disoriented from the lowside)

My friend and I rode down the the volunteer fire department which is located towards the bottom of the mountain for help while the other two in our group stayed with the rider who was in shock.

When the ambulance arrived he appeared to be ok as far as severe injury but at this point I have no more information.

The scary part is we ran into the two guys (both on yellow bikes) just before we rode up and they seemed pretty cool. Basically, his friend reached the top and had to turn around to find his friend on the ground.

The whole incident was bad both for the rider and driver and it was annoying to see everyone act like it was a side show and decide that they know what happened even though they were not there.

Anyhow, that's all the info I have so I thought I'd post up since people who had no clue what they were talking about decided to post up that the rider was riding over his limits, he wasn't period.

Ride safe out there!
JimSnitker

Re: Dave Herring

Postby Texun » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:02 pm

dukestodd wrote:The Dave Herring that posted on the Map as being located in Washington D.C. isn't by any chance the same Dave Herring that I met last year in Kansas City at the Power Plant that rides a R1200C?

Maybe, maybe not. :twisted:
Did I do anything that will result in a summons? Ha, Ha.

No I ride an RT even though I have been to KC many times.

Dave "Texun" Herring.
Texun

PreviousNext

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links