Relax?

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Re: Relax?

Postby Mike James » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 pm

I put Helibar risers on the bike a few weeks ago and it has made all the difference in the world. I'm much more erect and not leaning on the grips anymore. This is a much more relaxing position and I don't feel any loss of control.

The extra Powerlet outlet is nice too. (Gotta say it was a pain in the @$$ moving all those cables around for the riser.)

The only problem is that I can't keep my face shield as open as I'd like, being up in the breeze now, but it's a small price to pay.

Thanks for the tips people. =D>

Mike
1993 K75 S ABS
2007 F800ST
2013 Victory Cross Country
2001 YZ250F dirt bike for the farm

"If you don't ask, the answer is always No."
Does something smell bad in here, or is it just me?
Mike James

Postby henwin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 am

Mike James wrote:I put Helibar risers on the bike a few weeks ago and it has made all the difference in the world. I'm much more erect and not leaning on the grips anymore. This is a much more relaxing position and I don't feel any loss of control.
The extra Powerlet outlet is nice too. (Gotta say it was a pain in the @$$ moving all those cables around for the riser.)
The only problem is that I can't keep my face shield as open as I'd like, being up in the breeze now, but it's a small price to pay.
Thanks for the tips people. =D> Mike

Whether you can keep your helmet visor open is more a function of the helmet and visor system, than anything else. Some shields stay open in the breeze =D> and some don't. :( On my Shoei X-12 (still for sale, by the way!), my face shield will stay open to about 50--maybe even higher--if I remember correctly (don't count on it! :lol: ). My Schuberth, not nearly as high. #-o OTOH, My Schuberth flows much more air =D> than the X12 ever did, so it's just a question, for me, anyway, of where the air is coming from.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby BeamerDreamer » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:53 am

Most folks who are learning how to control something machine like for the first time have one thing in common.
It is common to have them feel or think that the machine has to be controlled every millisecond and even a momentary lack of input will result in instant death or worse.

The trick is to teach them that the control of the machine is a team effort.You the rider have a job and the bike has it's job.The both of you together result in safe movement of the bike.
Where we get into trouble is when we try to do the bikes job..We forget that once moving its the bikes job to remain stable and generally speaking pointed in one direction.When we forget our job is to gently guide the bike with subtle inputs that take into account and respect the bikes job then we get tense and sore.. :mrgreen: Oh yeah..It helps if the bike fits you as well.

Just food for thought..

BD
BeamerDreamer

Postby henwin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:15 am

BeamerDreamer wrote:Most folks who are learning how to control something machine like for the first time have one thing in common. It is common to have them feel or think that the machine has to be controlled every millisecond and even a momentary lack of input will result in instant death or worse. The trick is to teach them that the control of the machine is a team effort.You the rider have a job and the bike has it's job.The both of you together result in safe movement of the bike. Where we get into trouble is when we try to do the bikes job..We forget that once moving its the bikes job to remain stable and generally speaking pointed in one direction.When we forget our job is to gently guide the bike with subtle inputs that take into account and respect the bikes job then we get tense and sore.. :mrgreen: Oh yeah..It helps if the bike fits you as well. Just food for thought..
BD

Interesting...thanks for posting.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:09 am

BeamerDreamer wrote:Most folks who are learning how to control something machine like for the first time have one thing in common.
It is common to have them feel or think that the machine has to be controlled every millisecond and even a momentary lack of input will result in instant death or worse.

The trick is to teach them that the control of the machine is a team effort.You the rider have a job and the bike has it's job.The both of you together result in safe movement of the bike.
Where we get into trouble is when we try to do the bikes job..We forget that once moving its the bikes job to remain stable and generally speaking pointed in one direction.When we forget our job is to gently guide the bike with subtle inputs that take into account and respect the bikes job then we get tense and sore.. :mrgreen: Oh yeah..It helps if the bike fits you as well.

Just food for thought..

BD

This is a really good thought - I think you need to come speak at one of our tech days! :D
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby BeamerDreamer » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:49 am

BMWGirl wrote:
BeamerDreamer wrote:Most folks who are learning how to control something machine like for the first time have one thing in common.

Just food for thought..

BD

This is a really good thought - I think you need to come speak at one of our tech days! :D

For a small fee anything is possible... :mrgreen:
BeamerDreamer

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links