Those damn Blinker Lenses always crack....Found a fix

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Those damn Blinker Lenses always crack....Found a fix

Postby helmut » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:02 pm

I already destroyed a handful of blinker lenses on my R1150GS when tightening up the screw. The "plastic thread stub" on the lens, where the screw goes in cracks very easily. :Blaster:

The fix: I cut some rubber hose and put it over the plastic stub of the lens. If the plastic stub breaks, the rubber hose will hold the stub together

see pics: 2 pics show the lens with the cut rubber hose to be mounted, one pic shows the final assemby

I also reused lenses with already broken stubs (split lengthwise) and put a piece of hose over the remaining stub. I then just used a bigger screw and voila, it works like a charm as well.

Just make sure the rubber hose has a nice tight fit, when going over the plastic stub

Helmut
hellebauer who?
helmut

Re: Those damn Blinker Lenses always crack....Found a fix

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Nice!

On the other hand, if you get that ham out of your fist you might not have this problem. :lol:

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby R4R&R » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Great idea! The last time I was changing my lenses, one of mine broke. Even reading about so many others easily breaking them and trying to do it gently,I till managed to break one (one out of four isn't bad I guess). I ended up glueing mine, but that wasn't a great fix since I'm not sure how I'll get it apart when I have to change the buld. Knock on wood, I haven't had to change the bulb in about 70,000 miles!
'17 Triumph Explorer 1200
'04 R1150R (gone but not forgotten)
('13 Triumph Speed Triple - sons bike)
Itchin' for a ride
R4R&R
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Unity » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:28 pm

helmut wrote:I then just used a bigger screw and voila, it works like a charm as well.

I bet I'm the only one who read this and thought of T-series MGs and the common "method" for tightening the door hinges and latch pins.

--John
(Except that job required wood screws. :roll: )

2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links