Wood Gas Stove

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Wood Gas Stove

Postby BchrisL » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:28 pm

I found this while looking for a small camp stove that would boil water and could be packed on the bike when traveling. I usually can get going in the morning if I can get some hot tea of coffee. Making a quick fire at the campsite has always been a problem unless I brought a gas burner, but I don't like hauling gas in my saddlebags. This design gasifies the wood scraps and burns with a downdraft while it makes charcoal as an end product which finally burns to an ash. It makes very efficient use of the energy stored in the wood. There are commercial units that have a battery operated blower in the bottom for about 50 dollars, but this is the cheap, make-it-yourself unit. :D
BchrisL

Postby echo » Fri May 09, 2008 5:07 pm

Any plans or a link? Coleman makes a gas stove that burns unleaded regular gas. So you can get gas out of the tank and dont have to carry it separately.
echo

Postby BchrisL » Fri May 09, 2008 8:56 pm

Sorry I thought I listed a link like this one. I guess that does not make any sence otherwise. :oops:
BchrisL

Exponent and Jetboil

Postby kennedan » Sat May 17, 2008 12:44 am

Very interesting stove design, and seems to meet the goal of not carrying cas with you.

The coleman stove is the 'exponent' model - http://www.rei.com/product/671668 . It does burn regular gasoline as a last option but that will tend to clog up your stove as the burn leaves a lot of residue behind.

For my part I am totally and 100 percent sold on the jetboil - http://www.rei.com/product/760622 - its pricey, and you do need to carry fuel with you... but there is something about going "click", the piezoelectric trigger lights it up, and your water is boiling in 3 minutes and you are done.

-Ken
----------------
'06 R1200 GS
kennedan

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links