Here's How to Get Your Bike Stored for Free

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Here's How to Get Your Bike Stored for Free

Postby taxhack » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:23 am

In late January I was in a bank in Allegheny County, VA, opening an account for an estate that I am administering, when I noticed a bike on display in the lobby in conjunction with promotional gifts the bank was offering for new accounts. It was past closing time for the bank, and I was rushed, but I gave the bike a second glance and realized that it was an airhead of near-vintage age. I looked a third time, and it _finally_ dawned on me that it was an R65. To the chagrin of the bank staff (who wanted to get home in advance of an approaching major ice storm), I walked over to it and gave it a quick checkout.

Single front disk, dual shocks, seat with small cowl (i.e., not an LS), tank color was washed-out gold. I didn't have the nerve to take the time to find a light and copy the VIN from the frame, so I was forced to guess the year. My best SWAG is that the color is Champagne Gold, presumably making it a '79. Beautiful condition, and the odometer read 5,700 miles!

The bank officer told me that the R65 is on loan from a local biker who normally stores his bikes in a nearby garage. She said he normally rides a H-D, but he has this R65 as well.

I expect to make another trip there on or about April 11. I'll make a point of checking to see if the bike is still in the bank. If so, I'll read the VIN. If not, I'll try to learn the identity of the owner from the bank staff.
taxhack

Postby BKling » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 am

Which bank was it, I grew up in Alleghany County, Clifton Forge to be specific. Who knows, I may even know the guy, but don't remember anyone riding a BMW.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby Hello Kitty » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:05 am

I wonder if anyone would want to store my old CM400T in their store as a display? The oil usually just drips on to the little pan and not on the garage floor :lol: :lol:
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BKling » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:12 am

Hello Kitty wrote:I wonder if anyone would want to store my old CM400T in their store as a display? The oil usually just drips on to the little pan and not on the garage floor :lol: :lol:

You should ride around looking for a JUNK store. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bryant

BKling
Board Wizard

Postby Firebird » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:02 am

BKling wrote:
Hello Kitty wrote:I wonder if anyone would want to store my old CM400T in their store as a display? The oil usually just drips on to the little pan and not on the garage floor :lol: :lol:

You should ride around looking for a JUNK store. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lurker:
Firebird

Postby taxhack » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:26 am

<<Which bank was it, I grew up in Alleghany County, Clifton Forge>>

Planters Bank, 450 W. Main Street in Covington. (The name of the bank probably has changed 1/2 dozen times since you grew up there.)

When I was little, I loved to go to Clifton Forge to watch the trains. My grandfather went to work for the C&O in Clifton at age 17, moved to Lynchburg about 1909, and retired from the railroad after 48 years.
taxhack

Re: Here's How to Get Your Bike Stored for Free & make money

Postby kneeslider » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:26 am

Get your bike parked in the lobby of a Food Lion or Piggily Wiggily or Wal-Mart, put a vibrtor under the set connected to an electriclly operated coin box. Folks will put money in the box so there kids can ride it. You make a few bucks, it get dusted & buffed every day by the kidds being dragged over. Its a win, win.

If its a real good vibrator maybe some of the adults will ride a double session! :wink:
kneeslider

Re: Here's How to Get Your Bike Stored for Free & make money

Postby repo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:11 am

kneeslider wrote:If its a real good vibrator maybe some of the adults will ride a double session! :wink:

thats what rumble strips are for.... :lol:
repo

Re: Here's How to Get Your Bike Stored for Free

Postby BKling » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:27 am

I used to have a '72 H-D Sportster, that the wife said felt REALLY good if I left it in 3rd and cruised at about 4500 RPM. :wave: See, H-D's are good for something. :lol: :lol:
Bryant

BKling
Board Wizard

Re: Here's How to Get Your Bike Stored for Free

Postby RocketMan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:59 am

Not sure if a bank is good place to store anything these days....:lol:

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links