Custom tank bags

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Postby Blaster229 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:17 am

Yeah. I think Don's experience was just a matter of bad timing. Seems the IBR guys have her full attention during the rally year.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Chiba » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:28 pm

Blaster229 wrote:Yeah. I think Don's experience was just a matter of bad timing. Seems the IBR guys have her full attention during the rally year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Don an "IBR guy" during the most recent rally year?

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby pbharvey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:32 am

pbharvey wrote:Anyone know of a decent configuration for mounting a GPS on a tank bag? I have the BMW factory bag that fits my GT. I have a little Tom-Tom that I sometimes throw in the map pocket and it's OK. [good at night when I can actually see it]. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 2610 since there are some good deals floating around. I don't like any of the hard mount arrangements I seen. My thinking is that since I only really want the GPS for trips, and I'll have the tank bag on anyway, maybe I can rig something up that looks and works acceptably. I was thinking about taking the "extra" piece of the tank bag, the expansion piece, and maybe putting some type of stiffener in the top of it and using a Ram mount "bolted" through the top of the bag. Then I could just zip this whole piece on when I want to use the GPS and unzip it and toss it in a sidecase for security. Anyone tried this?

the answer is yes, RKA makes a tank bag with a built-in ram mount
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Re: Custom tank bags

Postby georgefalcon » Sun May 18, 2008 1:47 am

Sonar wrote:
Blaster229 wrote:http://www.customtankbags.com/

Looks like some great stuff! Check out the links to jobs she made for IBR riders.

JMTCW: I ordered a bag from her and waited nearly 8 months and no bag. Meanwhile IBA/IBR people who got new bikes after I ordered my bag got custom made bags. Guess I wasn't in the loop. :?

Poor email response if any. Did finally get an email about a month before the IBR when I had already made other arrangements.

The lady who owns/is the company is a friend of a couple of the clubs old heads and they all have wonderful things to say about her and she used to be a BMWBMW BOD member. Maybe is was my winning personality that elicited the poor customer service that came my way. Just sayin :wink:

I took over the responsibilities of Membership Officer from Linda Tanner. she is a very nice outgoing person.
georgefalcon

Postby Hello Kitty » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:48 pm

I've been working with Linda for about a month now designing a custom fuel cell cover for me. She's been VERY responsive to all emails and PM's. Very helpful. Very positive. Very everything you could want her to be.

Not sure why Jim would say her stuff looks patchwork. I can't figure out what he means by that. I'm very happy with the upfront part, and I'm sure I'll be happy with the product! I'll let you know.

I got a black bag with pink piping. I'm having one of the JB patches sewn onto the bag. She's been a pleasure to work with!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:I've been working with Linda for about a month now designing a custom fuel cell cover for me. She's been VERY responsive to all emails and PM's. Very helpful. Very positive. Very everything you could want her to be.

Not sure why Jim would say her stuff looks patchwork. I can't figure out what he means by that. I'm very happy with the upfront part, and I'm sure I'll be happy with the product! I'll let you know.

I got a black bag with pink piping. I'm having one of the JB patches sewn onto the bag. She's been a pleasure to work with!

That's great Nancy!! Sounds like you are having a MUCH BETTER experience than Don did!! Maybe she's finally getting her customer service in order!! I love the black with pink striping idea - I can't wait to see it!!!!

Who knows about the "patchwork" idea - everyone has different opinions. As long as YOU like it that's all that matters.
:lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Hello Kitty » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:37 pm

BMRGirl wrote:
Hello Kitty wrote:I've been working with Linda for about a month now designing a custom fuel cell cover for me. She's been VERY responsive to all emails and PM's. Very helpful. Very positive. Very everything you could want her to be.

That's great Nancy!! Sounds like you are having a MUCH BETTER experience than Don did!! [b]Maybe she's finally getting her customer service in order!!
I love the black with pink striping idea - I can't wait to see it!!!!

Who knows about the "patchwork" idea - everyone has different opinions. As long as YOU like it that's all that matters.[/b]

I've talked to lots of people who have worked with Linda - Don's situation was an anomoly. I don't think it's fair to say that she's finally getting her customer service in order!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:

That's great Nancy!! Sounds like you are having a MUCH BETTER experience than Don did!! [b]Maybe she's finally getting her customer service in order!!
I love the black with pink striping idea - I can't wait to see it!!!!

Who knows about the "patchwork" idea - everyone has different opinions. As long as YOU like it that's all that matters.[/b]

I've talked to lots of people who have worked with Linda - Don's situation was an anomoly. I don't think it's fair to say that she's finally getting her customer service in order!

okay - sorry about that, it was wrong of me to say that. I am glad she's doing such a great job on yours. Maybe (IF IT EVER COMES IN), she can make a bag to put around Max's cage?? :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Hello Kitty » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:10 pm

LOVE IT!!!! It fits absolutely perfectly.

The pocket on the side has one of the patches Chiba made up in memory of JB. My first aid kit is shoved in there. The pocket on the front (that is against my back) has some maps and a little bag with some small towels and hand cleaner. The pocket on the other side has snacks.

I think it will work very well for me. I also bought one of her "rally books" It fits quite nicely on my chicane tank bag - I need to trim the straps a bit - or just ask Linda to do it in Tulsa this weekend :)
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:34 pm

that looks AWESOME Nancy!!!

Does she make tank bags for "normal" people :lol: I'd love a pink one!!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!

'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:02 am

YES! She's making herself a set of luggage in pink with black piping. Email her and tell her what you want. You can get ideas from her website.

She's a little busy this weekend and I'll bet she gets a lot of orders in Tulsa so she might be busy for a little while, but she will help you out!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Hello Kitty » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Linda has her pink luggage here. It's cute, but the pink cordura isn't as beefy as the black and other colors. I asked her about making a custom cover for Max's crate and she said she could certainly do it, just needs the detailed information from you!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Previous

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links