Custom tank bags

Share bits of wisdom you have picked up along the way and links to the good sites.

Custom tank bags

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:23 am

http://www.customtankbags.com/

Looks like some great stuff! Check out the links to jobs she made for IBR riders.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Re: Custom tank bags

Postby Sonar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:39 am

Blaster229 wrote:http://www.customtankbags.com/

Looks like some great stuff! Check out the links to jobs she made for IBR riders.

JMTCW: I ordered a bag from her and waited nearly 8 months and no bag. Meanwhile IBA/IBR people who got new bikes after I ordered my bag got custom made bags. Guess I wasn't in the loop. :?

Poor email response if any. Did finally get an email about a month before the IBR when I had already made other arrangements.

The lady who owns/is the company is a friend of a couple of the clubs old heads and they all have wonderful things to say about her and she used to be a BMWBMW BOD member. Maybe is was my winning personality that elicited the poor customer service that came my way. Just sayin :wink:
Don C
2014 R1200RTW
I Buyed it to ride it!
IBA#: 357
Sonar
Board Wizard

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:35 am

Yeah, maybe newbie ibr guy and in an ibr year wasn't a good combo. The gallery page showed her having aux fuel cell bags and all. Great page of ibr rigs.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:37 am

OK, here name is Linda T, does anyone know her whole name?

I've been riding for 11+ years and I've logged a lot of miles (more that 150K, so far). I've used a lot of different bits of equipment and I've seen some really poorly designed stuff sold to motorcyclists. I've seen some amazing ideas as well.

Wow, a whole 150K in just 11 years! :roll: She must be a really experienced rider, and know everything about tank bags.

How many miles did Nancy ride last year? 30K, that would be 330K in 11 years. I have 100K in the last 4.5 years, maybe I can make 150K in 11 years.

Sorry, I am not that impressed with her site, or her bags, and if her customer service is that poor, well trifecta!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby pbharvey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Anyone know of a decent configuration for mounting a GPS on a tank bag? I have the BMW factory bag that fits my GT. I have a little Tom-Tom that I sometimes throw in the map pocket and it's OK. [good at night when I can actually see it]. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 2610 since there are some good deals floating around. I don't like any of the hard mount arrangements I seen. My thinking is that since I only really want the GPS for trips, and I'll have the tank bag on anyway, maybe I can rig something up that looks and works acceptably. I was thinking about taking the "extra" piece of the tank bag, the expansion piece, and maybe putting some type of stiffener in the top of it and using a Ram mount "bolted" through the top of the bag. Then I could just zip this whole piece on when I want to use the GPS and unzip it and toss it in a sidecase for security. Anyone tried this?
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:31 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:OK, here name is Linda T, does anyone know her whole name?

I've been riding for 11+ years and I've logged a lot of miles (more that 150K, so far). I've used a lot of different bits of equipment and I've seen some really poorly designed stuff sold to motorcyclists. I've seen some amazing ideas as well.

Wow, a whole 150K in just 11 years! :roll: She must be a really experienced rider, and know everything about tank bags.

How many miles did Nancy ride last year? 30K, that would be 330K in 11 years. I have 100K in the last 4.5 years, maybe I can make 150K in 11 years.

Sorry, I am not that impressed with her site, or her bags, and if her customer service is that poor, well trifecta!

Poor introduction yes, I agree. But one thing doesn't have to do with the other. Making a CUSTOM bag, she uses someones ideas and manufactuers it into a bag. Miles she may or may not have ridden means nada.
I throw my pistol in my bag often, so she would know how I would like to carry it? Nah, I would have to tell her what I want the bag to do.

Take a look at the picture gallery and the YEARS and MILES of IBR LDR people who use her stuff, that has to be a testament to something good.

Give her bad specs, the one could assume she would make a bad bag. Crap in, crap out.
Stuff looks great and the auxiliary fuel tank bags are a great idea as well.
Doesn't take miles of riding to see thats a cool idea.
Last edited by Blaster229 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby RJP3579 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:33 pm

pbharvey wrote:Anyone know of a decent configuration for mounting a GPS on a tank bag? I have the BMW factory bag that fits my GT. I have a little Tom-Tom that I sometimes throw in the map pocket and it's OK. [good at night when I can actually see it]. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 2610 since there are some good deals floating around. I don't like any of the hard mount arrangements I seen. My thinking is that since I only really want the GPS for trips, and I'll have the tank bag on anyway, maybe I can rig something up that looks and works acceptably. I was thinking about taking the "extra" piece of the tank bag, the expansion piece, and maybe putting some type of stiffener in the top of it and using a Ram mount "bolted" through the top of the bag. Then I could just zip this whole piece on when I want to use the GPS and unzip it and toss it in a sidecase for security. Anyone tried this?

There is an ad in the ON magazine from the MOA from a company that sells a tank bag with a mount for a GPS and other items built onto it. I know you have a bag but maybe they have a website with pics you can borrow ideas from.
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby Chiba » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:52 pm

pbharvey wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 2610 since there are some good deals floating around.

That might be tough with a 2610 - the 2610 doesn't have a battery, so it has to be wired all the time.

If you get a locking mount you don't have to worry about security.

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Blaster229 wrote:
JimVonBaden wrote:OK, here name is Linda T, does anyone know her whole name?

Poor introduction yes, I agree. But one thing doesn't have to do with the other. Making a CUSTOM bag, she uses someones ideas and manufactuers it into a bag. Miles she may or may not have ridden means nada.
I throw my pistol in my bag often, so she would know how I would like to carry it? Nah, I would have to tell her what I want the bag to do.

Take a look at the picture gallery and the YEARS and MILES of IBR LDR people who use her stuff, that has to be a testament to something good.

Give her bad specs, the one could assume she would make a bad bag. Crap in, crap out.
Stuff looks great and the auxiliary fuel tank bags are a great idea as well.
Doesn't take miles of riding to see thats a cool idea.

I never said she makes bad bags, I said she was claiming her miles as where her experience comes in to makeing good bags. The truth is, she probably does make good bags, though ugly and patchwork looking, to OTHER's specifications, as you said.

BUT, poor customer service cannot be fixed by a good bag, especially if it takes 8 months, as in Don's case.

Ask Tina, and me about Rick Mayer sometime...

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:57 pm

What about Rick Mayer?
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Blaster229 wrote:What about Rick Mayer?

I will buy used RM - but NEVER again from HIM!!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby pbharvey » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:09 pm

chiba wrote:
pbharvey wrote:I'm thinking about getting a Garmin 2610 since there are some good deals floating around.

That might be tough with a 2610 - the 2610 doesn't have a battery, so it has to be wired all the time.

If you get a locking mount you don't have to worry about security.

--chiba

thanks Chiba, my tank bag is wired. I rigged it with a powerlet setup so I can toss the phone, gps, ipod, and xm in the bag and keep it all charged.
I can't find a secure mount that looks OK and is actually secure. Some of them you can pretty much just give it a good yank and pull it off. Someone makes a seriously secure mount but it costs like $150 and looks like it was made by an orthodontist. There's an RS on the cover of ON this month and it looks like maybe his gps is mounted to his bag; that or it's mounted on a really long stem.
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:12 pm

E mail this woman at the custom bag place, she may have made some set ups for an IBR guy or gal. Or at least give u an idea.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby MrE » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:14 am

yeah, I know her name. I've known her since 2001 or so. Ridden with her a few times including one of my longest days. She also had a couple of dirt bikes when she lived up here.

Don's is the first complaint I have heard from anyone about anything she's done. All of the work I have seen is top notch and looks great.

If you ever saw Billy Rutherford's toy box, Linda made the awning/enclosure for the back of it. Pretty slick set up.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby MrE » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:18 am

And a good sense of humor too:
[Site]Designed by ME (please don't bother to tell me it's lame, I know)
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks and Links