Barbeque

Forum to post good places to eat

Barbeque

Postby MrE » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:24 pm

Mr. B's Barbeque. On Rt 340 in White Post. It is a few miles south of the Rt 340/Rt50 intersection and a few miles north of the 340/522 intersection... We almost had an RTE here, but there is no indoor seating and they close at 8pm on weeknights.

The pulled pork sandwich was good. The ribs looked excellent as did the smoked chicken and other dishes.

Picnic tables under some very large trees make a nice place to cool off and fill up.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Hog Heaven

Postby MrE » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:03 pm

Hog Heaven: This is where the RTE was on Saturday. The food was good. The pulled pork platter had a generous portion of pulled pork. I got it without sauce so that I could sample some of the different varieties. The pork was tasty plain and was very juicy. The baked beans and potato salad were also good.

The vinegar and spice sauce was good as was the mustard based sauce. We found out that they make all of their own sauces and have 16 or so.

Jim had ribs and pork and Bill also had ribs. I'll let them post their thoughts on Hog Heaven.

There was only seating for about 20 inside so it appears that they do most of their business in take-out or catering.

I would definitely recommend this place if you are in the vicinity of Rt 29 and Rt 33, just south of the intersection. It is in the lower level of the strip mall behind Wendy's. The signage isn't very good, but from Wendy's parking lot you can see the smoke.
Last edited by MrE on Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Barbeque

Postby Huckleberry » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:45 am

I happened to pass by this place just yesterday, after riding with a friend on mostly back roads from Frederick, MD to Strasburg and Front Royal, VA. What a great trip!

Anyway, long before I saw the place, I SMELLED it. Sure smelled good!

- - Huckleberry
Huckleberry

Postby matthew517 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:06 pm

Just west of Mount Weather road on Route 50 is Doc's. They are on the right hand side going down the hill about 1/2 mile or so. Great BarBQ. With seating. A good ride is to take snickersville turnpike from Rt 7. Then go west on 50 thru upperville and paris. Stop and eat at Doc's then take 606 north to Rt 7 along the river.
matthew517

Postby MrE » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:25 am

Concur on both Docs and the routes. However I usually ride down the other side of the river in the gravel. :-)
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Unity » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:17 pm

This one is probably already known to sporty types in transit between Rtes. 33 and 211: :D

Bar-B-Que Ranch is just north of Harrisonburg on Rte. 11. The barbecue is not exceptional, at least the pork barbecue sandwiches aren't, but the PLACE! It's a former curb-hop drive-in, and in the dining room there is more pig kitsch than you'd find in all the flea markets in Pennsylvania! :!:

--John 8)
(New Market and junction 11-211 are just a little ways off the map)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Maria V » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:05 am

Today's (11/14/2004) Sunpaper has an article in the Travel section, listing BBQ places in the Carolina's. Includes maps, reviews, etc. Look to be the first stage of road-trip planning!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Fat Boy's Pork Palace, Brandwine, WV

Postby Ken-WVHills » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:41 am

Good stuff here! On US 33 on the east side of Brandywine, WV about 30 miles or so from Harrisonburg, VA. The ride in on US 33 is a treat in itself. :D

Ken-WVHills

Re: Fat Boy's Pork Palace, Brandwine, WV

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:51 am

Ken-WVHills wrote:Good stuff here! On US 33 on the east side of Brandywine, WV about 30 miles or so from Harrisonburg, VA. The ride in on US 33 is a treat in itself. :D

I've been there, it was pretty good!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby docpc » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:26 pm

If you're in Charlottesville, try Wolfie's at 1525 E Rio Road. It's just to the east of Route 29 (BB&T bank building on left at intersection). Plenty of good parking, outdoor section for summer afternoons, pretty good fare.
docpc

Postby Dough Boy » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:57 pm

Smokey's BBQ in Eldersburg, MD - same parking lot as the Food Lion.

$6.75 buys a whopping huge BBQ sandwich, about 1 pound of fries, and a fountain drink.

Great food, and a great deal.
Dough Boy

Postby MrE » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:36 pm

Willard's Real Pit BBQ
4300 Chantilly Shopping Ctr #1a
Chantilly, VA 20151

From WashingtonPost.com

Occasionally there are spanking-new places that somehow capture the feel, smell and taste of the old South. Willard's Real Pit BBQ in Chantilly is one of those places. Open less than a year and in a strip shopping center near the Dulles Expo Center, Willard's somehow captured my heart.

I think it's partly because it's not hokey, with lots of the stupid signs and sayings that too many people think are the proper decor for a food as down-home as barbecue. Willard's is almost industrial in its approach, in a way that I think perhaps the famous Arthur Bryant's in Kansas City might be if it were started today. There is a lot of stainless steel -- and lots of those soda fountain stools I used to spin around on as a child. There are huge photographs of real people celebrating the rural way of life. One wall is devoted to the names and cities of some of the country's great barbecue joints.

I think mostly what won me over at Willard's, in addition to the food, is the pride that every employee exuded about the barbecue. I asked the guy putting together my order how the meat was cooked, and he went into a long explanation, pointing out equipment and bringing out some of the beef to show the deep pink coloring.

Owner Chris Janowski hails from North Carolina by way of Boston, where he co-owned two similar barbecue places.

The proof is in the barbecue, and Willard's acquits itself well indeed. The big chunks of pork ($10.95 a pint) are meaty, smoky and just about perfectly cooked. It tastes like pork and has the texture of pork. And the hot barbecue sauce blends great fire in the mouth that doesn't overwhelm the meat; it's vinegary and not at all sweet. The meat and sauce are eloquent counterpoints.

The ribs ($19.95 a slab), deep pink and meaty, also have a great smoky pork taste, though mine seemed just a little overcooked. They still had decent texture. That and the great sauce almost made me forget any shortcomings.

The coleslaw is shredded cabbage and carrot in a very mild but pleasant dressing. The potato salad tastes like my mother's, and, man, she could make great potato salad! There are well-cooked chunks of potato, celery, green peppers, sweet pickle, chives, onion and egg bound with mayonnaise with a vinegar undercurrent. Willard's is a keeper.

Willard's Real Pit BBQ, 4300 Chantilly Shopping Ctr. (Willard Road at the Dulles Expo Center), 703-488-9970.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Dough Boy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:38 pm

He's been open a lot longer than that.....I ate there in September '03.

Good food.

Bad bread.

:x
Dough Boy

Postby MrE » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:55 pm

BreadMan wrote:He's been open a lot longer than that.....I ate there in September '03.

Good food.

Bad bread.

The article was from sometime in '04.

I had the platter which came with cornbread. No bun for me thank you berry much.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Unity » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:12 pm

BreadMan wrote:Bad bread.

Heck, make him an offer! :)

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold