Barbeque

Forum to post good places to eat

Postby stevebmw » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:34 pm

Allman's BBQ on Route 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) in Fredericksburg, Virginia (about 3 miles north of our store). Great pulled pork, cole slaw, and baked beans. Order a milkshake, and they make it in those metal tumblers and then pour it into a real glass. Yum!

Blue Ridge Pig, Route 151, Nellysford, Virginia. Real hole-in-the-wall style place with mismatched furniture and a true country feel. Nice destination for a RTE.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Bauer » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:48 pm

pbharvey wrote:
Shane R1100GS wrote:You should try smokey Hallows at RT29 and John Hopkins RD. It's really good.
http://www.smokeyhollowbbq.com/contact.html

shane

stopped in there today for a brisket sandwich and written up on the chalkboard is "motorcycle mondays. show your motorcycle license and get 10% off your bill" Nice to know they support riders.

Agreed - they have a wonderful brisket, gorilla sauce is so good. Haven't tried the ribs yet. Anyone interested in an RTE, but on the weekend?
Günter & Christine (a.k.a. Tigger - T.I. double grrrrrr)
2004 Artic White R1200C & 1994 Red K1100LT
----------------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Bauer
Dirty Rally Girl

Postby RockBottom » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:56 pm

pjamet wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
pjamet wrote:Has anyone tried "Chubby's" on 15 north in Emmittsburg MD?

Been to Chubby's several times. I think it's ok. Not best I've tried but way above average. Have not tried the ribs.

They make their own spicy chips there and serve them with most meals. I love the chips but my wife doesn't care for them (too thick).

How far is this place from you, PJ?

PS Service 2 out of three times was care of female versions of Dumb and Dumber.

I forgot to post that i did stop there on 01/01/2007.

I tasted the ribs, the briskets and the pork.
The came in big chuncks pulled right off the shoulders. it was very good. the bisket was a bit dry and the ribs were awfull. I think there had been holding the ribs for quite a whie and they had dried up.
the cornbread was good. I did not like the potato sdalad (too much onion)

I think I will go another time to try other items and give the ribs a second chance.

Chubby's is adequate for "northern" BBQ (I know, I know, it's technically south of the Mason Dixon line, but north of the Potomac). It's not worth a special trip, but is worth a stop since I drive past in coming home to Pennsylvania from DC several times a month.

I'm a South Carolinian, so BBQ is a near religious experience for me. I've made pilgrimages to places like Lexington #1 and Arthur Bryant's. But I like my own, smoked with hickory and apple in "The Beast" best.

Last edited by RockBottom on Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:53 pm

RockBottom wrote:"The Beast"

Wow, nice lookin' pit, Rock.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Blaster229 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:27 pm

Yummy bbq in Eagle,CO today.

The black eyed peas with okra and stewed tomato was da bomb.

Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Re:

Postby lionlady » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:22 pm

RockBottom wrote: Chubby's is adequate for "northern" BBQ (I know, I know, it's technically south of the Mason Dixon line, but north of the Potomac). It's not worth a special trip, but is worth a stop since I drive past in coming home to Pennsylvania from DC several times a month.

I'm a South Carolinian, so BBQ is a near religious experience for me. I've made pilgrimages to places like Lexington #1 and Arthur Bryant's. But I like my own, smoked with hickory and apple in "The Beast" best.

Soo... When are you gonna host us for barbecue? Hmmm?

P
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Re: Re:

Postby RockBottom » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:37 pm

lionlady wrote:
RockBottom wrote: Chubby's is adequate for "northern" BBQ (I know, I know, it's technically south of the Mason Dixon line, but north of the Potomac). It's not worth a special trip, but is worth a stop since I drive past in coming home to Pennsylvania from DC several times a month.

Soo... When are you gonna host us for barbecue? Hmmm?

P

I've spent so much time on the road that I haven't even had the beast smoked up since June. I usually do a couple of big ones in the early fall for work and neighborhood, but just didn't get around to it.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Re: Barbeque

Postby lionlady » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:15 pm

So, you'll set up a date for next spring, then? :D

P

edit: changed the smiley... shoulda watched the whole thing.
Last edited by lionlady on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Postby RockBottom » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:58 pm

I was in a car rather than on my bike, but I stopped in Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue http://www.buzandneds.com/ today. I'd heard about it from a Bobby Flay special on Food Network (Bobby did a "throw down" and lost). It was excellent. I could still taste the hickory smoke in my mouth all the way to Potomac Mills. Well worth a trip. And only about a mile off of 95.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby Luna » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:45 pm

RockBottom wrote:I was in a car rather than on my bike, but I stopped in Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue http://www.buzandneds.com/ today. I'd heard about it from a Bobby Flay special on Food Network (Bobby did a "throw down" and lost). It was excellent. I could still taste the hickory smoke in my mouth all the way to Potomac Mills. Well worth a trip. And only about a mile off of 95.

I agree. We stopped in there on the 19th and the pork sammy was excellent. Hubby had the brisket sammy and liked that as well. Too bad it's "in the city" - not the best for a RTE :(
Laura Moon

French kissing life square in the mouth.... :D
2014 Honda GL1800HPNA
Luna
Frequent Poster

Postby RockBottom » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:26 am

Over the summer I passed a very interesting looking little BBQ joint here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=39.732274,-77.33242&spn=0.189836,0.44632&z=12&msid=107895972692907556797.00045f6c9575af5ce25ed

I can't vouch for it yet--by the time I rode back in November to try it out, it had closed for the season--but it sure looked the part with a big stack of wood out back and the smell of hickory wafting through the air. And it would be a great ride.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby lionlady » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:26 pm

RockBottom wrote:I was in a car rather than on my bike, but I stopped in Buz and Ned's Real Barbecue http://www.buzandneds.com/ today. I'd heard about it from a Bobby Flay special on Food Network (Bobby did a "throw down" and lost). It was excellent. I could still taste the hickory smoke in my mouth all the way to Potomac Mills. Well worth a trip. And only about a mile off of 95.

Yup. Tasty... since dd is now attending VCU we get down thataway pretty frequently. Love the ribs! The pulled pork, though not true Carolina Style (doesn't come "naked" but with sauce) is also quite good.

P
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Postby RockBottom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:29 am

I stumbled on this place last weekend. http://www.rickshogwild.com/ I smelled it before I saw it, which is a good sign. I'm going to try it Saturday and will report back. Route 234 west from East Berlin is quite nice. Hitting this and dropping in on the wonderful new Gettysburg Battlefield Visitors Center would be an excellent ride from DC or Bawlamer.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby RockBottom » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:58 am

I tried Rick's Hog Wild in East Berlinhttp://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=39.921849,-76.987038&spn=0.765678,1.763306&z=10&msid=107895972692907556797.000466cff4ea7591f9536, PA yesterday. Had the pulled pork sandwich. It was OK (for Yankee BBQ!). The sauce was way too sweet, so I'd pass on it. The place is tiny, with a couple of booths and a few stools at the serving bar. The smoker was going out in front. Smelled like a mix of oak and hickory to me. My bottom line is that it's worth dropping in if you're in the vicinity, but doesn't merit a pilgrimage like Lexington #1 or the Starlight. There are some very nice roads north and west of the place. Avoid Route 30, though. It has very heavy traffic and the road surface is worse than the ones I drove on around Basra in the spring of 2003 (although there is much less unexploded ordnance on the side of the road).
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby RockBottom » Sun May 03, 2009 8:58 pm

Anyone been to the Black Hog in Frederick? I was going there yesterday but the Weather Channel lied and scared me off. Maybe next weekend.

http://www.blackhogbbq.com/
RockBottom
Board Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Road Food