Crab Cakes-

Forum to post good places to eat

Crab Cakes-

Postby Dough Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:41 pm

Two great places to get crabcakes south of Balt. At either location $10 buys you a huge jumbo lump sandwich with fries. Wow it's good. Both places are always jam-packed at lunch...

G & M Crabcakes - Nursery Rd and I-695.

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

Timbuktu - Route 100 & Coca-Cola Drive

http://www.timbukturestaurant.com/

If anyone else has crab cake suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Dough Boy

Postby wiredcur » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:52 pm

Friendly Farm is THE best place for crab cakes, IMHO. No bread filler, just big ol'lump meat. Dinners (and lunches) are served family style with a number of sides and ice cream too!!!

This is up near the Prettyboy Reservoir and would make a great RTE in the spring time.
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby Unity » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:10 pm

If you live near Reston, there's a gourmet seafood carryout in the South Lakes shopping center, next to Safeway (11130 South Lakes Drive), called Seafoodie. A young fellow and his wife took the plunge, left the corporate rat-race, and opened it a few months ago. Now they're doing something they enjoy and making people happy. Everything they sell is semi-finished, to be taken home and put in the oven for 15 minutes.

They have a great jumbo lump crab cake, plus other entrees such as spicy barbecue shrimp and stuffed flounder, several kinds of prepared side dishes, including potatoes (I like the broiled wedges) and veggies (I like the green beans). Stop in Safeway for a baguette and have a great dinner at home for about $20. :D

--John 8)
(No, I don't get a commission or discount, but I need to work on that. :wink: )
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Dough Boy » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:11 pm

Do they have a lunch menu? Their site only shows the Dinner Menu, which at $17.95 for one cake is a tad expensive...looks neat though.
Dough Boy

Postby Unity » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:23 pm

BreadMan wrote:Do they have a lunch menu? Their site only shows the Dinner Menu, which at $17.95 for one cake is a tad expensive...looks neat though.

I don't think they prepare anything but dinner stuff. I'm not even sure what time they open for business; I know he spends some time early in the day buying seafood.

I meant to include the jumbo lump crab cake price but forgot to -- it's $7.95. One apiece, 2 side dishes, it's probably a little over $20. But you need an oven -- it ain't ready-to-eat. Seafoodie is not a restaurant,

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Unity » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:34 pm

I was waiting for IAMBOB to pipe up. If you don't mind going way south of Baltimore, there are three Stoney's restaurants that have a good reputation for crab cakes. Prince Frederick, Broomes Island, and Solomons Island. On raysuf's, cdbugler's and JoL2180's recommendation, Jody and I rode over to the one at Solomons Island and can back up their praise. Good stuff, a little pricey.

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby MrE » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:24 am

The crab cake I had night before last at Barley and Hopsin Fredneck was really good.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby pjamet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:47 pm

What a great topic and a great coincidence:

About a month and a half ago, my best friend opened a little sandwich place in Clarendon (2605 Wilson BLVd) called Earls

One of the Items is a crab cake sandwich that I think is pretty darn good, but he is always looking for feedback from "connaisseurs". You guys seem to be it! :D

anyways, if you are in his neighborhood, check it out and either let him know (his name is Steve) or let me know.

Thanks.

P.S.no website yet but the sandwich runs $9.99. try the FRENCH*
fries too, their good.

*= for slag and his French jokes :lol:
Last edited by pjamet on Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjamet

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:50 pm

My fav. is Tim's Rivershore, great crab cakes, no filler, nice location down by the runny 'ol' Potomac Riber and fun road getting there. I head down there often in the warmer months right after work just to hang and have a brew before heading home.

http://www.timsrivershore.com

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Dough Boy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Here are my thoughts on Crab Cakes...

Jumbo Lump Only...
Should be a large lump in the center
Broiled ONLY - Frying destroys the taste, frying also requires much more filler to hold it together.
Light or non-existant seasoning
Served with mild tartar sauce.

YMMV
Dough Boy

Postby lionlady » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:19 pm

wiredcur wrote:Friendly Farm is THE best place for crab cakes, IMHO. No bread filler, just big ol'lump meat. Dinners (and lunches) are served family style with a number of sides and ice cream too!!!

This is up near the Prettyboy Reservoir and would make a great RTE in the spring time.

Hmmm, could be the RTE for LUNCH in April??? Beautiful roads up that way. Thing is they do group seating on a schedule. If anyone's late they're SOL.

Pam
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Re: Crab Cakes-

Postby magicscott » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:04 pm

BreadMan wrote:Two great places to get crabcakes south of Balt. At either location $10 buys you a huge jumbo lump sandwich with fries. Wow it's good. Both places are always jam-packed at lunch...

G & M Crabcakes - Nursery Rd and I-695.

http://www.gandmcrabcakes.com/

Timbuktu - Route 100 & Coca-Cola Drive

http://www.timbukturestaurant.com/

If anyone else has crab cake suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

I've had the crabcakes at Timbutu's, but IMO they have just too much filling--very large but lots of bread/egg filling. I will try G & Ms when I'm in the area. I have had Stoney's crabcakes down in Prince Frederick--I thought they were very very good! Just my humble opinion. :)
magicscott

Postby Dough Boy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:15 pm

Guess where I ate lunch today??? They serve you a TREMENDOUS amount of food...Peaches, Apple Butter, Cottage Cheese, Cole Slaw, Pickles, Beets, Sweet White Corn, Green Beans, Rolls, French Fries, Ice Cream for dessert, and of course your entree.

The Crab Cake was good....not the best though. The meat seemed to be rather bland...of course, it is the off-season. My meal with tip was $20. :shock: And that is a bit steep for lunch at a place without a linen tablecloth and a sommelier.

Dough Boy

Postby wiredcur » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:44 pm

BreadMan wrote:... The Crab Cake was good....not the best though. The meat seemed to be rather bland...of course, it is the off-season. My meal with tip was $20. :shock: And that is a bit steep for lunch at a place without a linen tablecloth and a sommelier.

Nobody said it was cheap. :wink:

I don't think they differentiate between lunch and dinner.

But you gotta admit, that would be a nice place to RIDE TO eat and ride afterwards too.

(and there's not much filler, if any, in that crab cake)
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby tytreat » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:50 pm

What about Jerry's seafood?
http://www.jerrys-seafood.com/

Also Claddagh Pub in Canton Square, B-More, Md...Best Crabcakes ever....
http://claddaghonline.com/
tytreat

Next

Return to Road Food