Crab Cakes-

Forum to post good places to eat

Best crabcakes anywhere - Stoney's

Postby georgefalcon » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:14 pm

Unity wrote:I was waiting for IAMBOB to pipe up. If you don't mind going way south of Baltimore, there are three Stoney's restaurants that have a good reputation for crab cakes. Prince Frederick, Broomes Island, and Solomons Island. On raysuf's, cdbugler's and JoL2180's recommendation, Jody and I rode over to the one at Solomons Island and can back up their praise. Good stuff, a little pricey.

--John 8)
Stoney's Broomes Island is the original, and I've never had better. They get top ratings with most local restaurant reviewers. Sign up early on the waiting list, then go have some margaritas at the deck bar and watch the pleasure boats cruise into the dock. Their recent renovations included replacing their original dining room with one much larger, to accomodate more people. The crabcake dinners are about $30, and you get two crabcakes the size of softballs that are about 90% backfin lump crabmeat. The crabcake sandwich platters are more reasonable for "normal" people's appetites and more reasonably priced.
georgefalcon

Postby Dough Boy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:37 pm

Port Side Restaurant in Cambridge, MD

Read a few decent comments on the web about it, so we gave it a shot. Nice view over the river/estuary/water, and covered deck was warm, even with 35F temperatures.

The crab dip with French bread was a nice appetizer, but a tad pricey at $9.95.

I ordered a crab cake club sandwich, and it was a bit dissapointing. The cake it self looked a bit small, and despite having asked for it broiled, it came out fried. I asked the waitress about it, and she said that they pan fry it first and then broil it. Sounded pretty stupid to me, but that was her explanation.

Maybe the regular crab cake would have been better....

$11.95

Dough Boy

Postby georgefalcon » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:00 am

Dough Boy wrote:Port Side Restaurant in Cambridge, MD

Read a few decent comments on the web about it, so we gave it a shot. Nice view over the river/estuary/water, and covered deck was warm, even with 35F temperatures.

The crab dip with French bread was a nice appetizer, but a tad pricey at $9.95.

I ordered a crab cake club sandwich, and it was a bit dissapointing. The cake it self looked a bit small, and despite having asked for it broiled, it came out fried. I asked the waitress about it, and she said that they pan fry it first and then broil it. Sounded pretty stupid to me, but that was her explanation.

Maybe the regular crab cake would have been better....

$11.95

Nice touch, adding the photos.
georgefalcon

Postby markf » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 am

pjamet wrote:I had a crabcake sandwich at a place called"Inn 94"on rt 94 just north of Hanover Pa and it was quite tasty.

I recommend the place in general...everyone at my table enjoyed their food (seafood and steaks)[/url]

It looks like a Funeral Home. Doesn't mean they ain't tasty!
markf

Re: Crab Cakes-

Postby georgefalcon » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:00 am

Dough Boy wrote:Two great places to get crabcakes south of Balt. At either location $10 buys you a huge jumbo lump sandwich with fries. Wow it's good. Both places are always jam-packed at lunch...

G & M Crabcakes - Nursery Rd and I-695.

If anyone else has crab cake suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Stoney's, in Broomes Island. Crab cakes the size of softballs, w. barely enough breadcrumbs to hold the sweet lumps of backfin meat together. Come early. There's always a line. But one can "tough it out" at the bar on the dock and sip frozen margaritas. Do a little research on the Internet and see which restaurants get rated the best for crabcakes in this area.

I got me a hankerin' for some crabs...

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a104/ ... 80725Ride/
georgefalcon

Previous

Return to Road Food