Selinsgrove, Sunbury, Shamokin Dam, PA

Forum to post good places to eat

Selinsgrove, Sunbury, Shamokin Dam, PA

Postby Dough Boy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:13 pm

I'm not really certain that this is DC area, but it is certainly within the daily range of most any BMW owner. Tucked away next to the beautiful Susquehanna River is Selinsgrove, PA. Right on Main St is BJ's Ribs.

http://www.bjsribs.com/menu/

Great food, and great beer. Cheap beer too. The BJ's 22 oz Black & Tan is a measly $2.25. The 16 oz? $1.75.

For $15 you get 1/2 a mesquite smoked chicken, and a slab of baby back or mesquite ribs, plus 2 sides, and a french baguette and corn bread.

Did I mention the beer?

Well worth the trip. Beautiful roads up next to the Susquehanna too.

That's the 22 oz. on the left... :D

Dough Boy

why go there

Postby kneeslider » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:06 pm

i was wondering why you'd go the sudbury, smuckdamn, that area has some of the worse traffic for 50 miles around.

But hey, thanx for thefood tip!
kneeslider

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:14 pm

I've been up there visiting customers 4 or 5 times, and have never really experienced that.
Dough Boy

Snellinggrove, ect

Postby kneeslider » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:47 am

I guess it's just weekends & holidays.

Believe me you don't want to go there Labour Day weekend!

I'll go 50+ miles out of the way to miss that area coming & going to Watkins Glen & points north!

ST&SR
kneeslider

Re: Snellinggrove, ect

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:52 am

kneeslider wrote:I guess it's just weekends & holidays.

I'll go 50+ miles out of the way to miss that area coming & going to Watkins Glen & points north!

ST&SR

Are you talking about 147 - across the river from 15? I've been going that way for a few years on Labor Day (to Finger Lakes) and other weekends to other rallies north and haven't experienced traffic at all. Yes, there are a few traffic lights, but not traffic as in too many cars and not enough road. Maybe it's a timing thing? Has been a lovely ride for me.
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Re: Snellinggrove, ect

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:33 am

Hello Kitty wrote:
kneeslider wrote:I guess it's just weekends & holidays.

ST&SR

Are you talking about 147 - across the river from 15? I've been going that way for a few years on Labor Day (to Finger Lakes) and other weekends to other rallies north and haven't experienced traffic at all. Yes, there are a few traffic lights, but not traffic as in too many cars and not enough road. Maybe it's a timing thing? Has been a lovely ride for me.

147 is a beautiful little road. Although I think that part of the river gets some heavy traffic from "beachgoers" in the summertime.
Dough Boy

Re: Selinsgrove, Sunbury, Shamokin Dam, PA

Postby RockBottom » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 am

I rode 147 to Shamokin, crossed the river, had ribs at BJs, and came back south on 11/15 last Sunday. Glorious ride with very little traffic (only one other biker) and temps in the 40s. I figure it will be my last good one in 2008.

By the way, it was my first time at BJs and the ribs were pretty darned good. My only problem was that as I was walking in, I remembered I had my Glock in a shoulder holster under my jacket (I usually keep it in my side bag precisely so I can take my jacket off when I stop). Perfectly legal but not something I wanted to remove on the street or in the restaurant. After getting a table, I went to the restaurant stall, removed it, wrapped it in the jacket, and then reversed the whole process when I was leaving.
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby gardner17756 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Next time your in the area check out Skeeters BBQ at the north end of the Rt 15 Shamokin Dam strip. The restaurant overlooks the Susquehanna river. Very good ribs and pulled pork. http://www.skeetersbbq.com/
If anyone's interest is micro beers check out the Selin'sgrove Brewery. It's within walking distance of BJ's. While I am not an advocate of drinking and riding they do sell and fill growlers at a very reasonable price. http://www.selinsgrovebrewing.com/index.html
gardner17756

Postby DogHouse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:29 am

I love 4 year old bumped threads. =D>

05 R1200GS
97 Craftsman 19hp Riding Mower 42" cut
DogHouse
What? Again? Oy

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:34 am

:lol: When I saw this as a thread with unread posts, I actually remembered the original. Too funny!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby RockBottom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:37 am

Well, from my perspective, it was like the slogan that one of the TV networks used to try and sell re-runs a few years ago: it was new to me!
RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby gardner17756 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:32 pm

And from my perspective a bump is only bump if it is advanced by the word: bump!
Last edited by gardner17756 on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
gardner17756

Postby RockBottom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:44 pm

Coincidentally, I rode to the Selinsgrove area yesterday. (The Harley is my buddy's)

RockBottom
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:29 pm

hey - thanks for inviting us along! :( :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:28 pm

I wish they still had 2005 prices, ya know.
Dough Boy

Next

Return to Road Food