Memphis food

Forum to post good places to eat

Memphis food

Postby Blaster229 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:09 am

Will be in Memphis in a few weeks for a work trip. Anyone know of anything close to the airport?
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Re: Memphis food

Postby DUKR » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:13 am

Blaster229 wrote:Will be in Memphis in a few weeks for a work trip. Anyone know of anything close to the airport?

It ain't especially "inviting" near the airport... Wasn't a place I liked to be after dark..How long you gonna be there?
DUKR

Postby Chiba » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:15 am

Have you met Blaster?

Don't think he's worried about the neighborhood after dark :lol:

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby dukestodd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:32 am

Blaster,

Christy and I were in Memphis over Memorial Day weekend.

I highly recommend you try Neely’s BBQ http://www.neelysbbq.com/home.htm
The best BBQ I have EVER had!

If you are in for something uniquely Memphis, try a Dyer’s deep fried hamburger. They have been using the same vat of cooking oil since 1912 http://www.dyersonbeale.com/

If you have a little more time, check out the Mud Island museum http://www.mudisland.com/ They have a ½ mile long scale model of the lower half of the Mississippi river.

Have fun – Memphis is a blast

Todd
dukestodd

Postby Blaster229 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:08 pm

Eh, I arrive around 630 pm and leave the next morning. One is about 9 miles from the airport, I should be good to go for a trip to Neelys.
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Hello Kitty » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 pm

I need a BBQ place in Memphis too. My requirements are different though. I need a place real close to the freeway (coming in from Tupelo and heading out toward Baton Rouge, but MUST have a MEMPHIS address (and receipt! or the name of the place on the receipt and a business card or somethng with the addy) Don't care what the food tastes like cause I won't eat it anyway. Oh, and late hours would be nice, loooks like I could be there on the late side, maybe 10 or 11 PM.

any suggestions?
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Chiba » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:17 pm

dukestodd wrote:They have been using the same vat of cooking oil since 1912

I'm not quite sure, but that sounds ... scary to me!

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby BKling » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:31 pm

chiba wrote:

--chiba

Of course it does to YOU!!!! To the rest of us it sounds like FLAVOR!!!! 8)
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby dukestodd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:34 pm

chiba wrote:

--chiba

My thoughts exactly – but the original recommendation came from the Food Network.

We gave them a shot – mighty tasty burgers!
dukestodd

Postby Blaster229 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm

I have two trips out that way, so one trip will be bbq and the next the burgers :)
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby dukestodd » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:I need a BBQ place in Memphis too. My requirements are different though. I need a place real close to the freeway (coming in from Tupelo and heading out toward Baton Rouge, but MUST have a MEMPHIS address (and receipt! or the name of the place on the receipt and a business card or somethng with the addy) Don't care what the food tastes like cause I won't eat it anyway. Oh, and late hours would be nice, loooks like I could be there on the late side, maybe 10 or 11 PM.

any suggestions?

I-40 through downtown Memphis is all raised interstate. There is a significant amount of construction – especially the closer you get to the river. Lots and lots of 1 way city streets. If you are going to try and stop in the downtown area, the region south of I-40 and between the river and I-240 is pretty “touristy” and may cause additional delays. You may also want to avoid Hwy 51 south of the city, the area around Graceland is always backed up.

Interstate Bar-b-que at 2265 S. Third Street, Memphis, Tennessee 38109 (just off I–55 exit #7) 901-775-2304 was one of Alton Browns stops during the second season of Dining on Asphalt, but I don’t know their hours, and don’t know how hard it would be to get a receipt from them quickly http://www.interstatebarbecue.com/index.html
dukestodd

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:29 pm

I pondered this gastronomic excursion often up until the date of my trip. After a lot of thinking and googlemap-ing, I decided on Neelys. Calls to taxis in the area advised me to what would be about a 40 smacker, round trip. I wholeheartily accepted this knowing that a road food report was the ultimate conclusion. I cannot leave the readers in the dark on this one!

615 I arrive at the airport and stand out in the 80 degree, 110% humid weather while waiting for the hotel ( see creamer packet pics under fast food report ) shuttle. If I had any hair, it would have been a very bad hair day. No problem here since doG is slowly becoming my barber :)

Shuttle arrives and I get on. I proceed to ask the driver about local bbq joints nearby and of course mentioned Neelys. He steadfastly handed me a menu without saying a word. I glanced at it as it missled towards me. It was pink. It said MARLOWES ribs and restaurant. Free limo pick and return to and from participating hotels.

Neelys who?? My chariot arrived!

A swift 6 minute ride, passing Graceland on the left, MARLOWES!

My limo driver, who drives a propane truck during the day, opens my door and I proceed thru this one. Open at noon, food served until 1a.m., open until 3.

Story has it that this guy was a customer of the joint. However, none of the pink limos belonged to him.

First things first............. What is wrong with this pic?? Ok, well maybe second things second :?

Then the decision process.............

Oh the anguish for such a princess like myself to decide to order. Combo perhaps? slaw with beans as side? I decided the pork rib,pulled pork and brisket combo with slaw and beans. Michelle my waitress extraordanaire said nun huh! I said no? She said Nope! 86 the brisket, slaw and beans. Get the pulled pork and rib combo with corn fritters and fried okra! She said the brisket sucks and I could get slaw and beans anywhere. Loved her honesty and intuition on such a matter :)

Ladies and germs...............................

I am not a 'que expert by any means. The pulled was plentiful and moist. Tasted like pulled pork. The sauce was not very spicy nor did it have too much of a vinegar taste. Thin consistency and sweet with a hint of spice that did not linger long.

The ribs were moist as well. Their menu states that they cook for 24 hours. The meat did not *fall off the bone* But it didn't require a lot of fighting either. Grandma's dentures would handle the job easily.

Very good *meat on the bone* dinner :wink: I will probably hit it again this Sunday when I return.

Now THIS, is a happy ending! :)

Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Hello Kitty » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:18 am

That'll do! You've shown me what I need to know and that looks much easier to get in and out of than some of the other places.

It looked like the place was okay to leave my bike for 10 minutes? The area around Graceland can be pretty dicey as I recall?
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BMWGirl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:06 am

Kitty - did you notice he said "MEAT ON THE BONE!" yummmmy!!!! :twisted: :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Hello Kitty » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:14 am

Of course I did. I probably won't eat whatever I buy. I just need the photo and receipt!
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Next

Return to Road Food