Going to the Poconos.

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Going to the Poconos.

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:56 pm

For the past two years, friends of ours have invited us for Thanksgiving up to a house they have in the Poconos mountains, up above Bushkill, PA. Each year Mrs. BreadMan has left a day earlier than me, so I've followed on the bike. It's rather a torturous ride of about 240 miles, with no real redeeming qualities, but so be it.

This year the weather as I departed was absolutely stunning. It was 65F, and so warm that I had to stop and switch into vented gloves. It might have also had something to do with the fact that traffic was moving at 5mph. I saw a lot of brake lights as 1/2 the population of DC headed out of town.

After about an hour of riding, and having covered only 30 miles, traffic finally began to clear out, and me and a GSXR began zipping through the little traffic that was left.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:01 pm

I had my LG VX9900 mounted up next to my GPS, and I shot a little video while riding down I-83. As I watched the vidclip later, I realized that since I had it wired into my Autcomm, the music I was listening to got piped into the video. Anyway, it's not very exciting video, but here it is.

(you'll have to click the linky since we can't embed with this software)

Video Linky
Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:07 pm

I was rolling through Lancaster, PA, wishing that it was really Amish country so all the cars would turn into buggies. But they did not.

I did notice that all the people that work at all the Harley plant in Lancaster are completely pansy-ass posers. Even on a 65F day, their parking lot was jammed full of cars, not a bike in sight.

Ha! Posers!

I laughed at them on the inside while I sat at the stoplight.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:13 pm

Of course, I had to stop and get fuel for both me and the bike, and the best place to do that was at the Sheetz. A quick run through of the store came up with the fine repast below. Not pictured is the awful Italian sandwich that I devoured quickly because I was so hungry.

Sheetz sucks because there was no bench, nowhere to sit, so this served as my dining room table in the midst of their parking lot.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:30 pm

We did manage to stumble down to the Poconos Flea Market and Bazaar. There were few items of interest, except for this one jewel. It's not Rushmore, it's Blackmore!

After I took the picture, the propietor of the booth came up to me and demanded that I not take photos of the items in his booth. He explained that he was a tax-paying business, and I just couldn't "zoom in on his things". I told him that he was an idiot, and I'd never walk by his booth again. Image

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:41 pm

Saturday morning it was time to go, and I checked the weather. It didn't look good. This was a fine time for me to have forgotten the heattroller for my Gerbings, but I guess it's better to have too much heat than none at all.

So I geared up with multiple layers, and I do mean multiple layers. I wanted to do everything I could to keep the cold out, and the warm in.

Then I headed out.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:46 pm

More video from the road back home.

More video linky
Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:53 pm

After 120 miles on the slab, I stopped in for fuel again. Make sure you take note people, this is the lunch of champions!!!

Notice all the key food groups?

Ohhh, delicious! Nothing like a dry, stale, hot dog bun and a horrid hot dog. Nonetheless, I sure was hungry.

Then, another 120 miles onward to home.
Overall, it was a decent ride, albeit a bit boring and cold. Still, way better than riding up there in my car.

The End.
Dough Boy

Postby Chiba » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:26 am

I heard on the news that over 700,000 people left the DC area for the Thanksgiving weekend, and approx. 80% of those by car.

I'm not sure what's crazier - that or you powering down those sketchy-looking hot dogs!!

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Unity » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:39 am

chiba wrote:powering down those sketchy-looking hot dogs!!

Healthy-eaters are so smug. :roll:

I've had some of those awful cardboard-y Italian sandwiches recently.Image Sheetz is a port in a storm.

--John 8)
(But then, yucky food fit well with the ride. :shock: )

2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Hello Kitty » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:17 pm

Dough Boy wrote:Image

Ohhh, delicious! Nothing like a dry, stale, hot dog bun and a horrid hot dog. Nonetheless, I sure was hungry.

But it says the buns are fresh. You must be mistaken. Or used to crappy buns :lol:

Your blackmore story reminds me of the asswipe who ran me off from the Phantom Fireworks on 70 just over the PA line (from MD) during The Void III last month. WHAT A JACKASS! I couldn't believe it. I was so angry that I stopped there on my way to take my nieces and nephew trick or treating to complain to the manager. The guy I spoke with was actually the assistant manager and it turns out the jerkoff who ran me off was the manager's father! I can assure you that no fireworks will be purchased there by me. Ever.
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby BchrisL » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:25 pm

Unity wrote:

I've had some of those awful cardboard-y Italian sandwiches recently.Image Sheetz is a port in a storm.

--John 8)
(But then, yucky food fit well with the ride. :shock: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BchrisL

Postby Inthpkt » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:29 am

Very cool. My only concern is........WTF WERE YOU LISTENING TO?
Inthpkt

Postby Dough Boy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:58 am

MABSTER wrote:Very cool. My only concern is........WTF WERE YOU LISTENING TO?

Johnny Cash
Sting
Nada Surf

At least that's whats on the video. The quality just isn't that good....
Dough Boy

Postby Chiba » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:59 pm

Unity wrote:

:lol: I eat at Sheetz too... just not the hot dogs!!! Besides, I eat way too much cheese to be considered a "healthy" eater :)

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Next

Return to Ride Stories