Pumpkin Chuckin

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Pumpkin Chuckin

Postby jbfields3 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:56 am

Todd Sudda says that he's tried, previously, to get a group together for this ride. We got out to Deleware and back, yesterday, and it was a very pleasant ride. This time or year there is no noticable beach traffic.

The Pumpkin Chuckin cannons were awesome. I think the winning shot was 4,400 feet, the better part of a mile. It is an art. If too much power is applied to the shot the pumpkin disintergrates and you just have "pie" as the announcer calls it. In addition to the towering cannon that various contestants spent huge amounts of money improvising, there were also catapults and trebouchets.

A camp ground nearby provided tent space. There was a stage and several enjoyable varieties of music were in evidence at different times during the day. It would not be a bad weekend camping trip, next year.
jbfields3

Postby Dough Boy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:09 am

Pics?
Dough Boy

Postby dukestodd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:23 pm

I have at least 1 good pic that I will upload tonight - These cannons were huge - much bigger in person than either in pictures or on TV.
dukestodd

Postby Unity » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:59 pm

Here's one from Oinktoberfest near Buffalo NY last month. :)

--John 8)
(A generator powered a compressor that filled a tank. When the pressure was up sufficiently, a pull-cord released it into the chamber and flung the poor unsuspecting pumpkin clean out of sight. Image)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby dukestodd » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:18 pm

Think BIGGER

The size of a semi rig (and bigger)

65+ cannons
60 - 70 machines
dukestodd

Postby jbfields3 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:10 am

I have several pic's as well. It will be a day or two before they get posted.
jbfields3

Postby jbfields3 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:19 pm

Pictures here.
jbfields3

Return to Ride Stories