Finding Fall Colors, finally!

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Finding Fall Colors, finally!

Postby RocketMan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 am

This past Sat. (10-20) I decided to head out and see if I could find some fall colors and a few nice twistys along the way. Since I hadn’t ridden the Blue Ridge Parkway proper (just Skyline Drive) this year I decided to head south via some slab and valley roads then take Rt. 56 toward the Parkway.

Headed out around 7 AM and hit 95 south till I got to Fredericksburg then headed west to Dillwyn (you all HAVE heard of Dillwyn Va, right?) I set my GPS for no interstates and shortest route, which always guaranties that it will take me along some pretty out of the way roads, and as usual I wasn’t disappointed. On the way to Dillwyn I passed by the Spotsylvaina Courthouse Battlefield and since there was a nice little windy road thru it I decided on a quit detour.

A shot of the battlefield with a lone tree out in field

Finally some decent color

Having had a good rain in some parts I knew that the back roads would be a little tricky, esp. in places where the sun had not had a chance to dry them, I wasn’t disappointed

I knew it would be even more fun once I got to 56 and headed up the mountains.

Then it was off down a nice little 20 mile stretch along Shannon Hill Road toward Fork Union where I saw this old establishment, bet it was a cool place to stay in its day.

Shortly after that (or was it before?) I crossed over the James River.

After I got to Dillwyn I headed west again to catch Rt. 56 toward the mountains and the towns of Vesuvius and Steeles Tavern. After 2 some hours of the low lands of eastern VA it was nice to catch my first view of the Blue Ridge.

Yup, looks like some color up there.

Route 56 is a fantastic little road, even in the low lands its pretty twisty and once you start to climb along the Tye River pass it gets really hairy, too bad there wasn’t any place to pull the LT over for a shot or two, guess you’ll just have to ride it sometime.

Just prior to getting into the real climb up 56 I did manage to stop and take some pic’s looking down from one of the 5 points where 56 crosses over the Tye River.

Got up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and the temps had dropped again, never got above 61 even thou it was getting to be mid-day. In the valley it had gone from 58 when I left home up to 68 before I headed shyward. The wind was starting to pick up as well. There are a lot of farms along the Blue Ridge even at the top as it flattens out in places.

Now for some nice color…

After doing the Parkway I did the first 40 miles of Skyline but then the traffic started to pick up so I headed down the mountain at the Route 33 crossing and headed home.

All in all I did about 400 miles in around 9 hours of mostly 2 lane and twisties with only two stops for gas and coffee, plus picture ops. Went thru a few other towns with such interesting names as Dyke, Mineral, and Dixie (yup, I’m definitely in the south). Had to pass up some nice shots as well but when I’m on The Autobahnsau (German for Highway (or Autobahn) Pig) parking the beast can be a challenge on small back roads with no shoulder. This marks the longest ride I’ve done since my hearing loss and loss of balance input from my right ear due to a infection that has destroyed the entire nerve bundle. I’m hoping by next spring I’ll be back up to doing more 600 mile plus rides, but we’ll have to wait and see. I also went from about 30 feet above sea level at home to little over 3300 and nearly 25 deg. chances in temperature during the ride. Pretty typical of fall in these parts.
Not a bad days ride!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:02 pm

nice pics Jeff - but quite frankly I'm tired of NOT seeing your bikes in them!!! Come on - I've got a calendar to think about!!! :wink:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby RocketMan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:10 pm

BMRGirl wrote:nice pics Jeff - but quite frankly I'm tired of NOT seeing your bikes in them!!! Come on - I've got a calendar to think about!!! :wink:

sure it is, fouth photo one down in fork U...nion! :lol:

also in my "Fall Ride 2" report there are two shots with the bike in it, and which I noticed everyone just ignored :cry:

(guess you all have gone over to the Rick F..... camp, eh?? :evil: ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:27 pm

RocketMan wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:nice pics Jeff - but quite frankly I'm tired of NOT seeing your bikes in them!!! Come on - I've got a calendar to think about!!! :wink:

also in my "Fall Ride 2" report there are two shots with the bike in it, and which I noticed everyone just ignored :cry:

(guess you all have gone over to the Rick F..... camp, eh?? :evil: ) :lol: :lol: :lol:

RM

ok - wait a minute - 1 out of 50 has your bike ANNNNDDD it's in the SHADE!!! Come ON!!! totally not fair!!! I love your pics - they are very good - keep them coming!!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby RocketMan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:22 pm

BMRGirl wrote:
RocketMan wrote:

RM

ok - wait a minute - 1 out of 50 has your bike ANNNNDDD it's in the SHADE!!! Come ON!!! totally not fair!!! I love your pics - they are very good - keep them coming!!

Ha Ha! :lol:

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:13 pm

RM,

Wow, you found fall colors and then some! I'm glad that you're getting out on longer trips and especially glad that you're documenting them with words and images. I especially liked your second picture, with the backlit red leaves.

Hmmm, let's see: You covered 400 miles in 9 hours, compared to my 200 miles in 8 hours. Does that imply that you averaged 200 mph during your ninth hour??

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:43 pm

Rick F. wrote:Does that imply that you averaged 200 mph during your ninth hour??

Sounds like RM to me. :P

Nice photos, Jeff. :D

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Graybeard » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:00 pm

GREAT shots Jeff! Thanks!

Gee, I think I feel a mental health day in my future.
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby BKling » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:08 pm

Here's one I found about 2500 miles from here.

It was right down the road from this.

Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 am

Boy, talk about going out of your way for a photograph! :lol:

Very nice shot of the big "rock" and lake, where was that?

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby tytreat » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am

RocketMan wrote:Boy, talk about going out of your way for a photograph! :lol:

Very nice shot of the big "rock" and lake, where was that?

RM

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that Half Dome?
tytreat

Postby BKling » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:09 am

Geeeeeeez Jeff, it is Half Dome in Yosemite, the holy mecca of all photographers. Go straight to the Corcoran and look at Ansel Adams photos. Do not pass GO and do not collect $200. 8)
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories