Lancaster County Covered Bridges

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Lancaster County Covered Bridges

Postby wiredcur » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:02 am

So two weeks after the ride and I still remember most of the details. I guess that's a good sign. Knowing Beth likes covered bridges, I planned a trip to try to see as many of Lancaster county's covered bridges as we could fit into a day trip.

check out the map. We went clock-wise.

We got going a little later than I had hoped and we slabbed it up to PA and got off I-83 at Shrewsbury and started taking a more direct route towards Wrightville, PA and the nearest bridge across the Susquehanna.

Along the way, just northeast of Yorkana, PA, I saw a road sign I just had to have a picture of...

After the first two covered bridges (Forry's Mill and Siegrist's Mill), no breakfast and no bridge pictures either; we decided to stop in Silver Spring, PA for breakfast. It was 11am and the church crowd was packing this little place so there was a line to get seated...
but the french toast was worth the wait. :D

The first bridge after breakfast was Schneck's Mill bridge...

Crossed but didn't stop for Kauffman's Distillery bridge and continued on Shearer's Mill in Manheim. This bridge is a sort of centerpiece for Memorial Park and is only open to foot traffic. This is not the original location of the bridge. The local community all chipped in and paid to have it relocated in its current home.

While negotiating the streets around Manheim, we saw our first Amish family heading into town in horse-drawn wagon. Beth was very excited having never been up into Lancaster county nor seen any Amish before.

I tried to figure out where the Eichelberger's bridge was but I couldn't find it so we continued on to the Erb's Mill bridge. (sorry, no picture) After we crossed Erb's Mill bridge we came to the end of Erb's Bridge and turned right on Middle Creek Road. At the corner is an Amish church and all the Amish boys in their black pants, white shirts and black straw, narrow rimmed hats. We waved as we passed and then notices at the front of the church all the young girls groups together. It was quite and interesting site and Beth could hardly contain her excitement after we passed by.

Keller's Mill bridge is no more, I'm sad to say. If they moved it, I don't know where it is now. There is a very nice, new, wide concrete and steel span where the covered bridge use to be. I blame either a flood or progress.

Since we had started late, I decided to drop off the extreme north-eastern bridges from the tour and instead, head southwest zig-zagging back and forth across US-222.

Bitzer's Mill bridge crossed then stopped long enough to get a picture of Zook's Mill bridge.

Zipped across Zook's and turned around and zipped back then turned south with Pinetown and Hunsecker's Mill bridges still to go before a break.

Hunsecker's Mill bridge...

We decided to make a quick stop into the PA Dutch Country Visitor's Center. This place was like a little local restaurant's paper place mats. Blocks of local advertising except this was in full color.

Of course, what's the point of going to Amish country if you don't get some...

Jackson's Sawmill caused us to pause and take a break off the bike. The location seemed to be very secluded, nestled in a little valley. Caused me to take lots of pictures.

White Rock Forge bridge was nestled too but it needed to be viewed from a distance.

Pine Grove bridge went across the Octoraro Creek while the dam to the left held back the Octoraro Lake.

Nothing too exciting for the trip home. We cross into Maryland on US-1 and zig-zagged our way across Hartford county into Baltimore county to pick up Dulaney Valley Rode and finally the Beltway to get home.

It was a perfect day for a ride and it was a perfect ride. I guess that's about the best. :D
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby Maria V » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:18 am

Nice report, Tim. Looks like you and Beth had a great day.
Andi will be jealous of the Amish sightings!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Blaster229 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:22 am

Amish "stuff" :lol:
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Hello Kitty » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:52 am

That made me laugh too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Rick F. » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:18 am

Tim,

I enjoyed your report and the pictures, and thanks for the link and map.

Back in the days, it was considered good luck to kiss your sweetheart as you went through a covered bridge (thus the name "kissing bridges"). What I want to know is, how did you and Beth manage this on a motorcycle while wearing helmets??

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby wiredcur » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:56 pm

Rick F. wrote:Tim,

I enjoyed your report and the pictures, and thanks for the link and map.

Back in the days, it was considered good luck to kiss your sweetheart as you went through a covered bridge (thus the name "kissing bridges"). What I want to know is, how did you and Beth manage this on a motorcycle while wearing helmets??

Rick F.

We made up for it last weekend when we were up in Ticonderoga, NY at their "Kissing Bridge" :D

'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Return to Ride Stories