Ride to Willville Campground and then to Lexington Barbeque

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Ride to Willville Campground and then to Lexington Barbeque

Postby dgraling » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:26 am

Left work around 5 PM on Friday night and rode to Willville Motorcycle Only campground near Meadows of Dan, Virginia. I could not leave work until 5 PM and knew I had to get from Herndon to I-66 as far out as possible to head South. Friday afternoon traffic always sucks. I went this way - North on Route 28 for short distance to hit Old Ox Road - took that around the back of Dulles Airport and hit Route 50 West - then to a left on Gum Springs Road and then a right on Braddock which is dirt and gravel. No one was on Braddock - hit Route 15 South and then to I-66. Total trip time - Herndon to I-66 was 55 minutes for 20 miles. That's Northern Virginia on a Friday.

Uneventful ride to Willville altough the last 12 miles or so is on the Blue Ridge parkway at 10:30 at night - lots of deer - I had my high beams, PIAA's and Motolites all going at once. I only had two oncoming cars for the entire 12 miles.

Willville is a great campground. Motorcycles only - it's off Virginiia Route 58 - .9 of a mile west of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I've been there probably half a dozen times now - I try to make an annual pilgrimage. It's $15 a night and well worth it.

On Saturday I got up late, hung around reading a book and then headed to Lexington NC for barbeque.

I drove through the old town part of Mt. Airy and saw a long line at Snappy's. Snappy's makes a pork chop sandwich that people come from all over for. Next time I'll have to try Snappy's - it was hot in the high 90's and there must have been 30 people waiting in line at 12:00.

When I got to Lexington Barbeque the parking lot was packed. Waiting line was about 20 but it went fast. I had the pork barbeque platter with french fries, hush puppies and cole slaw. Heavenly.

Headed back to the campground using the GPS shortest distance feature. Took me on gravel roads - Squirrel Gap Road I think was one of them.

On the way back went up Pilot Mountain - great view from the top.

Left Sunday morning at 5:30 AM - home by 10:15. Quick trip home - no runs, hits or errors. Just watched my speed - ran 72 to 73 since I have 8 points in Virginia and I'm trying to avoid Virginia's Driver Abuse Fees :-)
Don Graling
Centreville, Virginia
2009 R1200RT
dgraling
Frequent Poster

Postby Unity » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:12 pm

Brave man, taking on NoVA Friday pm traffic and nighttime BRP! :shock: Next time I'm down that way I'm going to actually find Lexington Barbecue (i.e., use a paper map instead of the GPS). Also, last trip I had a Snappy's stop scheduled, but we changed our route and missed Mt. Airy. Darn, Don, you're making me hungry for unhealthy food! :D

Nice trip.

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Return to Ride Stories