The (Missing) Bridges of York County

Tell Us About Your Rides!

The (Missing) Bridges of York County

Postby Rick F. » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:05 pm

Hmmm, two ride reports in three days. That sets a record for me, but I'll never match Maria's daily reports or Paul's frequent posts from their recent extended rides.

This one covers last weekend's ride North from Baltimore into Pennsylvania, in search of Gifford Pinchot State Park and a slew of little stream-side roads. Once more, I semi-randomly plotted out a course using MapSource, selecting any road or area that looked interesting. I haven't added them all up, but I would guess that the route encompassed at least 100 different roads, and never more than a few miles on any one of them. That's the trouble with a GPS: I never could have undertaken such a goofy route with just a set of written instructions.

With an early start, I rode 97 North through Westminster and on into PA. My first major milestone was to visit the state park, but on the way I spotted an overgrown path leading off of 97, a couple of miles north of Union Mills. Curious as ever, I decided to follow it a ways...

It actually wasn't very long, and I found this at the end. The grand old place looked like it was undergoing a renovation. Definitely worth the side excursion, and it was really nice to see such a place being fixed up for once, rather than suffering a prolonged deterioration.

After crossing the Mason-Dixon Line into Pennsylvania, and traveling through Littlestown, I headed northeast toward the state park. Along the way I found this sizable church (the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus)...

...and this not-so-sizable former whistlestop, which was a little ways east of New Oxford:

Abbottstown offered plenty of interesting old buildings, and the occasional old sports car (if a 1987 Porsche 924 can be thought of as old).

Why is it that I keep finding ancient flatbed pickup trucks?? This one, however, hadn't been abandoned like the others; it had been converted into an elaborate planter.

Nearby there was a pretty farm pond, complete with a rustic barn in the background and (of course) yet another aging truck.

Despite all the turns, picture stops, etc., I managed to finally arrive at Gifford Pinchot State Park a mere 3 hours after leaving Catonsville. It had an appealing lake and nice facilities:

It also had lots of playground equipment, which, in this case, was being enjoyed by a number of young Mennonite children.

Who was Gifford Pinchot, by the way? Turns out he was quite a character, serving as the country's Chief Forester under his friend President Teddy Roosevelt in the late 1800's. He was later elected governor of Pennsylvania. He was one of the first, and among the best-known, proponents of conservation. More information on this intriguing fellow is available at http://www.fs.fed.us/gt/local-links/historical-info/gifford/gifford.shtml.

After eating a gigantic brownie and drinking half a bottle of pop, it was time to dive--yet again--into virtually uncharted roads. In fairness, the Middle o' Nowhere in Pennsylvania is still a lot more civilized than in West Virginia! But even so, there was more than enough time to take pictures without creating a traffic jam, such as this one on a bridge over Beaver Creek.

Something bad seems to have happened here, possibly involving a little pig and a bigger, badder wolf. Before I could inquire further, I was chased away by a scowling granny, apparently from a different bedtime story...

Continuing off the beaten path, I found a massive old mill beside Yellow Breeches Creek, complete with an artist painting the scene. D'you suppose he hasn't heard of digital cameras? Also, where do some of these creek names come from??

Continuing along my planned route, I encountered the first of the Missing Bridges. This one should have spanned Yellow Breeches Creek where it met Stony Run--but it didn't. I checked for possible fording opportunities--but it was a good 20' drop down to the water. (Where's The Dude or Mr. Enloe when you need them??)

Near the creek, incidentally, was the following contraption. As best I could tell, it was a small Quidditch field--but perhaps one of you would know what it really is?

After consulting the Zumo, I retraced part of my route and then rode around to the other side of the missing bridge. Or, at least, I would have, except for another missing bridge (!) this time on Mill Street near Messiah College in Grantham. Looking downstream a ways, however, I saw a great old covered bridge across the creek.

This bridge, however, only led into a parking lot for the college's athletic facilities. There wasn't any way to continue on, so I did some further Zumo consulting. In the process of flailing around, looking for detours that didn't dead-end at Route 15, I went by this log home for the fourth time (really!) and decided that the circumstances called for a picture:

After a longish detour, I managed to return to my regularly scheduled route. Safely back on teeny roads in the middle of nowhere, I relaxed and went back to photographing everything in sight--for instance, this great blue heron, which had no trouble fording the North Branch of Bermudian Creek:

Moments later, needless to say, I encountered yet another missing bridge, this time approaching the Kralltown Road bridge over Bermudian Creek. Having learned the hard way that there wouldn't be any way across the stream, I dutifully followed the detour signs and then backtracked to the stream. Whereupon I found that the bridge was finished and, although blocked off to traffic, it would have been quite easy to get around the barriers on a bike! Ah well...

Later on, I ran across this dramatic view where Peepytown Road crosses Conewago Creek. (I'm not making up these road names, honest!) If you look carefully, you can see the remains of a bridge abutment in the lower-right corner of the picture. I would be within my rights to count that as another missing bridge ... but I won't.

Aw, ain't they cute?

Next up was a search for Kuhn's Fording across Conewago Creek. I was pretty sure there wasn't a bridge, but MapSource showed a perfectly good road leading up to each side of the creek, and I figured there might be an opportunity to ride across the stream. Wrong again! There was apparently a working ford here many, many years ago, but it was replaced in the late 1800's by a covered bridge, which was then demolished in 1982. At present, the approach to the creek has been carefully blocked off.

This time I'd preplanned a detour, on the hypothesis that there might not actually be a ford. I quickly found my way to the other side of the stream and discovered a small community park that just happened to have a picnic going. Although it was a private group, they quickly took pity on a lonely, starving, weird, picture-takin' motorcyclist--and plied me with free hot dogs, hamburgers, salads, desserts, etc! The kindly host (on the left) puts on an annual picnic for all his family and friends, and I really appreciated his hospitality on my behalf.

Meanwhile, the thought occurred to me that our very own BMRGirl Tina might be having another calendar contest this year. Taking advantage of the gorgeous day, I started working on an entry:

There were many other beautiful spots on this trip, including Group Mill Road along Conewago Creek and the miniscule Irishtown. But the day was drawing on, and I still had dozens of little roads to go, so I pressed on.

Back in Maryland, Babylon Road proved to be a narrow but enjoyable dirt lane with no shortage of pleasing views. So, will the barn or the wagon collapse first?

This final shot sums up what most of the trip was like: Perfect!

By the time I got home, I'd been on the road for over 10 1/2 hours and had managed to cover all of 245 miles in that time. (And all on one tank of gas, I might add, which is good for an R1200GS. It apparently helps to go very slowly.) It was a great time despite all the detours. However, it's a bit daunting to realize that the 100+ little roads I was on represent probably no more than 0.1% of all such roads in Pennsylvania. How will I ever see all the rest of them before I'm 90??

Rick F.

PS--No one in their right mind would follow such a convoluted route, but if you're interested, just let me know!
Last edited by Rick F. on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Ben_Ricci » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Rick, that's a GREAT report. You were in the heart of my stomping grounds and I recognized nearly everything you photographed. I will say you make it look a lot better than I typically see it because it's all so familiar. The house near Rt. 97 that's being renovated has been "being renovated" for about 15 years. :D Maria should recognize it. In any case it's quite interesting seeing and reading another's impression of familiar sights. Nice job.

I live in Littlestown borough BTW. Glad you didn't take any shots there. Kinda junky looking at the moment. :lol:

(Let me add, you are correct: there is an almost endless supply of side roads around here. Some are quite nice motorcycling roads with interesting sights and interesting curves and rises.)
Last edited by Ben_Ricci on Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben_Ricci

Postby Ted » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 pm

Another great RickReport - Thanks!

Add an old barn with an old R27 hidden away in the back and I'd be in heaven :)
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby Maria V » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:34 am

Yep, I did indeedy recognize that house. In the short time we have lived here, I've noticed no progress on the renovation. :(

Great report Rick. Thanks!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:03 am

Rick, you have an eye for photography, and a way of framing the shots that really make me envious!

Excellent ride report!!!!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Flash! » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:09 am

I really enjoy your ride reports, Rick--the old buildings, farm equipment, the streams and rivers. I agree with Larry about the "sunbeam" picture in the other report. That one and the "wheat stubble" picture in this report are definitely calendar material! :D

I especially like the shots taken on the back roads--I'm still leary of taking my RS off-road, and am jealous of all the places you folks can go.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 pm

Ben_Ricci wrote:Rick, that's a GREAT report. You were in the heart of my stomping grounds and I recognized nearly everything you photographed. I will say you make it look a lot better than I typically see it because it's all so familiar. The house near Rt. 97 that's being renovated has been "being renovated" for about 15 years. :D Maria should recognize it. In any case it's quite interesting seeing and reading another's impression of familiar sights. Nice job.

I live in Littlestown borough BTW. Glad you didn't take any shots there. Kinda junky looking at the moment. :lol:

(Let me add, you are correct: there is an almost endless supply of side roads around here. Some are quite nice motorcycling roads with interesting sights and interesting curves and rises.)

Ben,

And here I thought no other motorcyclist could possibly have ever discovered such remote places before--I should have known! I'm sorry they're not making more progress on restoring the old house. It was a great-looking place.

Sometime, let me know what cool roads in your area I missed. Or better yet, show them to me!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:47 pm

Ted wrote:Another great RickReport - Thanks!

Add an old barn with an old R27 hidden away in the back and I'd be in heaven :)

Ted,

Actually, I think there was an old barn-like building a good ways off to the side of the property. Who knows what might be hidden away in there?? I like your fantasy of an R27, but I'm holding out for an early 1950s Aston Martin DB2/4 convertible... Preferably owned by a little old lady who takes a liking to me and suggests that I can have it for free if I would just remove it from the property...

That's my fantasy, and I'm sticking to it!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:49 pm

Maria V wrote:Yep, I did indeedy recognize that house. In the short time we have lived here, I've noticed no progress on the renovation. :(

Great report Rick. Thanks!

Maria,

Thanks. I keep forgetting that you live somewhere up in that neck of the woods now.

And I'm glad that your home renovation has progressed a lot faster than the stone house in the picture!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:53 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Rick, you have an eye for photography, and a way of framing the shots that really make me envious!

Excellent ride report!!!!

Jim 8)

Jim,

Muchas dankas as they say in ... well, maybe somewhere. The framing part comes pretty naturally, but I'm still trying to figure out digital camera exposures. They often come out fairly "flat" looking. A knowledgeable buddy tells me it's all in setting the white balance, so I'll look into that--some day!

Rick F.

PS--I'm envious of your seemingly inexhaustible knowledge of BMW mechanical facts and mechanical skills.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:00 pm

Flash! wrote:I really enjoy your ride reports, Rick--the old buildings, farm equipment, the streams and rivers. I agree with Larry about the "sunbeam" picture in the other report. That one and the "wheat stubble" picture in this report are definitely calendar material! :D

I especially like the shots taken on the back roads--I'm still leary of taking my RS off-road, and am jealous of all the places you folks can go.

Jody

Jody,

Thanks for the kind comments. It's just amazing how many attractive scenes there are out there--almost everywhere, really--when we take the time to look for them.

I used to do a lot of dirt roads on my F650CS street bike, but it was only 420 lbs or so. A full-size RS wouldn't be nearly so easy to wrestle around on loose surfaces. Or to turn around on tight, uneven dead-end's, like I forever end up doing!

Rick F.

PS--What Tina's calendar contest really needs are more great action shots, i.e., people actually riding their BMWs. It would be neat to have a good shot of you and John on your his & hers bikes, bending through a scenic corner. We should figure out a "when and where" approach to getting such a picture...

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:12 pm

Rick F. wrote:
Flash! wrote:I really enjoy your ride reports, Rick--the old buildings, farm equipment, the streams and rivers. I agree with Larry about the "sunbeam" picture in the other report. That one and the "wheat stubble" picture in this report are definitely calendar material! :D

Jody

Jody,

Thanks for the kind comments. It's just amazing how many attractive scenes there are out there--almost everywhere, really--when we take the time to look for them.

I used to do a lot of dirt roads on my F650CS street bike, but it was only 420 lbs or so. A full-size RS wouldn't be nearly so easy to wrestle around on loose surfaces. Or to turn around on tight, uneven dead-end's, like I forever end up doing!

Rick F.

PS--What Tina's calendar contest really needs are more great action shots, i.e., people actually riding their BMWs. It would be neat to have a good shot of you and John on your his & hers bikes, bending through a scenic corner. We should figure out a "when and where" approach to getting such a picture...

hey Rick - that's a cool idea!!!!

Maybe we could set something up at Sherando - that's a great riding rally and the scenery should be gorgeous!!! We might set up a couple of camera's hidden - and then take some shots??
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:35 pm

BMRGirl wrote:hey Rick - that's a cool idea!!!!

Maybe we could set something up at Sherando - that's a great riding rally and the scenery should be gorgeous!!! We might set up a couple of camera's hidden - and then take some shots??

Tina,

That sounds like a good idea--but just what did you have in mind???!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby BMWGirl » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:52 pm

Rick F. wrote:
BMRGirl wrote:hey Rick - that's a cool idea!!!!

Tina,

That sounds like a good idea--but just what did you have in mind???!

Rick F.

Rick
Not really sure - I think some of our "better" photographers (better than me of course!!) go to the Sherando Rally - so I was thinking - if they left 10 or 15 minutes before the rest - they could set up at different points and shoot us as we went by??

Just something to think about!! I know Rocketman is going but I haven't hit him up with this idea yet either and if YOU go - well - we have 2 great photographers right there!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haven't really put to much thought in to it - but I liked your idea for the calendar this year!!

how's that???

Tina
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Hello Kitty » Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:43 pm

Great report, as always. You do have "the eye" :D
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Next

Return to Ride Stories