Oh Shenondoah...

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Oh Shenondoah...

Postby Rick F. » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 pm

After all the drama of the Neil Peart ride story, I'm hesitant to post a normal, regular, plain ol' ride report. But here it is, nonetheless.

Following a nearly 3-week layoff from riding, two weekends ago I decided to find roads that followed the course of the Shenondoah River as closely as possible. I pressed MapSource into use and plotted a route along anything that it said was a road. More on this subject to follow!

I got an early start, initially rode to Jefferson, MD, and then followed pleasant back roads through the tiny town of Lander and on toward Point of Rocks. On my own, once again, I quickly reverted to my usual behavior and stopped occasionally for a picture (e.g., every few feet). The advice given to new pilots to "always keep at least one wing in the sunshine." Maybe it applies to motorcycles, too:

Once in Virginia, I took a series of back roads that I'd never been on, through Milltown and Frogtown and other semi-nonexistent places, always moving south and west. Early on, I went by the VA version of Catoctin Creek (which is unrelated to the MD version).

Along the way, there were stately old mansions...

...and churches (this one, fittingly, on Rehobeth Church Road)...

...and lots of mini-bridges and creeks, most with virtually no water.

Somewhere along the way, I actually found the Shenondoah River. It, too, was pretty low on water. The little dot in the middle of this picture is a fellow who was wading across the river.

Fortunately, there appeared to be enough to handle the occasional tire swinger:

My route also took me by the imposing Holy Cross Abbey and then the modest Wickliffe Church, originally constructed in 1819 and rebuilt into its current configuration in 1846.

I couldn't find any information on this old house, which appears to have fallen on hard times.

Following River Road, I came to Route 7, crossed the Shenondoah there, and immediately went north again on Castleman Road. After a while, I ended up on Route 25, which on the map tracked the river nicely on its western bank. Very quickly, however, Route 25 became narrower, unpaved, progressively rougher, and--not far around this corner--just a pair of tractor tire paths, one about 1 1/2 feet higher than the other. (And this was on an official "route" in a civilized State!)

I teetered along as far as I could. But by now I was well onto someone's private property, and the road just disappeared altogether (despite the Zumo showing that it continued right along the river). I decided to turn around when I reached this pickup, which looked like it was hors de combat...

...but the really weird thing was lurking a ways off in the distance, in the middle of a grove of trees. The more I looked at it, the more it appeared to be a double-decker bus--out here in the middle of nowhere! And by golly, that's exactly what it was. Go figure.

Given the dead-end, I had to backtrack quite a ways and find another way around to pick up Route 25 again. It wasn't too hard and, once safely back at the river, I found this bike-by-the-river photo op, just for Tina:

Naturally, a few miles later on, the now-infamous Route 25 turned into someone's private driveway. Moreover, there was a "welcoming committee" present, so I couldn't even explore too far to see if it actually continued. As best I could tell, it quickly dead-ended at their dilapidated house, with the last little bit covered by a number of Dead Cars in Various Stages of Disrepair. More detouring ensured, together with one more Route 25 dead-end, and eventually I gave up and headed to Route 340 in West Virginia. (A rather less-civilized State, I'm afraid--but at least their Routes are for real!)

After a quick lunch in Charles Town, WV, I decided to continue my riverside trek, but this time along the banks of the Potomac on Old Furnace-Molers Road and then County Route 17. This proved to be a great choice, with one beautiful setting after another. With all the reflected flora, even the river looked green:

CR-17 also ran right alongside a semi-calm pool created by Knott Island in the Potomac, right across from where Antietam Creek empties into the river on the Maryland side. The main part of the Potomac is visible in the distance:

A little ways south of Shepherdstown, from the corner of my eye I saw what looked to be a sizable stone ruin. Sure enough...

...although the main front wall was unfortunately decorated. I don't know what this place used to be: It seemed too big for someone's house, but it was too far up the riverbank to serve as a mill. It could have been an inn, although it was a fairly remote location. Hmmm, it was just off of Cement Mill Road. How long ago did anyone know about cement??

I crossed back into Maryland at Shepherdstown, and motored on to what I thought would be the long-gone town of Wevertown. As it happened, however, there were still lots of houses in the area. So much for ghost towns. But it was nonetheless scenic and fun to pass through.

From Weverton, it was 340 and 70 back to Catonsville. All told, the ride was about 240 miles, with clear but extremely hot weather. What more could one ask for, since I enjoyed every single mile? And I learned an important lesson regarding electronic road databases: 'Tain't necessarily so!

Rick F.

PS--As always, if anyone would like the route, just let me know. You, too, can end up at a dead-end with a double-decker bus in the middle of rural Virginia!
Last edited by Rick F. on Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:10 pm

Another beautifully detailed, and photographed, ride.

I really enjoy your ride reports Rick! Thanks for sharing!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:53 am

I really like shot #2 and the pool shot on C-17. I've seen a double decker bus somewhere hidden in the bushes once too, wonder if its the same one? I love those old brick buildings as well as old farm equipment, both make for great shots. Nicely done, as always. :lol:

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Ted » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Another great report, thanks Rick!

PS - I bet you could sell the GPS tracks for these rides, I know I'd be a very willing buyer :)
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby Graybeard » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:16 pm

Outstanding Rick! The 1st shot with the sunbeams is my favorite but there are quite a few excellent shots there!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Re: Oh Shenondoah...

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Rick F. wrote:
Given the dead-end, I had to backtrack quite a ways and find another way around to pick up Route 25 again. It wasn't too hard and, once safely back at the river, I found this bike-by-the-river photo op, just for Tina:

GREAT! Photo Rick!!! I love your ride reports!!! The American Idol wall was interesting - any skeletons there??? :lol:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby DUKR » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am

Graybeard wrote:Outstanding Rick! The 1st shot with the sunbeams is my favorite but there are quite a few excellent shots there!

+1 Thanks Rick! Your reports are all unique because of how you perceive the things you encounter, so every report is different and a joy to read. Keep them coming.. :D
DUKR

Postby Rick F. » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:37 pm

Jim, RM, Ted, Larry, Tina, & Michelle,

Thanks much for the positive feedback--I'm really glad that you all enjoyed the Shenondoah ride report. The ride itself was really a lot of fun. Even the Zumo-induced, off-course excursions led to worthwhile mini-adventures.

I think I'll go back to the area with the sunshine through the trees. It really was a stunning sight, but I couldn't seem to get just the right picture of it. I didn't take as much time as I would have liked, since it was in-between two fairly blind corners. In particular, the GS ended up in a shadow, rather than in one of the light rays. Next time!

I'll gladly share any of my Tracks files for free, Ted. Although it will be a bit embarassing to have others see how many times I missed turns or stopped for pictures! Let me know if you'd like any of them. I still owe you the MapSource route for my ride with Neil Peart. It's proving harder than I anticipated to convert the tracks to a route, but I think I now know how it can be done...

I didn't see any skeletons at the "American Idol" wall, Tina--but then, I didn't do any digging, either. There were some teenage ne'er-do-wells hanging around down by the river. They looked like experienced graffiti artists!

So how many abandoned double-decker buses can there possibly be in the middle of nowhere, RM?? Mine was at approximately N39 11.196 W77 51.153. Also, here's another picture, showing the road leading to the farm where the bus was. Look familiar? I know, all dirt roads look the same... Google Maps, incidentally, shows this road as going all the way through and calls it 25 / Dutch Hill Road.

Jim, I'm glad you've enjoyed the reports so much. Some day, I'm going to get you to show me how to take pictures on the fly. Yours have been great!

Rick F.
Last edited by Rick F. on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:27 pm

Speaking of pictures on the fly, I tried some this past weekend following the vintage ride folks, even dug the camera (a P&S, NOT my D80!) out of the tank bag and the carry pocket it was in, got the strap around my wrist and fired it up, all while zipping along twisty back roads on an 850 lb machine. :lol: Think I even got off a few decent shots of the group!

not something you want to do every day, thats for sure!

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Rick F. wrote:Jim, RM, Ted, Larry, Tina, & Michelle,

So how many abandoned double-decker buses can there possibly be in the middle of nowhere, RM?? Mine was at approximately N39 11.196 W77 51.153. Also, here's another picture, showing the road leading to the farm where the bus was. Look familiar? I know, all dirt roads look the same... Google Maps, incidentally, shows this road as going all the way through and calls it 25 / Dutch Hill Road.

Jim, I'm glad you've enjoyed the reports so much. Some day, I'm going to get you to show me how to take pictures on the fly. Yours have been great!

Rick F.

could have been, in fact, I beleive I recognise that rock just to the right of your front tire! No, not that one, the one next to it, see, kinda gray in color and a little under an inch in dia.? :lol:

I've been down so many roads, dirt and paved in the past 8 years around here who's to say!

There were some really nice photo ops in Morgantown area this past weekend, one was an old 50's style Esso station, a really nice garden done around an old rusting farm tractor and an entire field full of old rusting tractors, hay bailers, and other odds and ends. I gotta get back up that way again soon.

I picked up a graduated ND filer and holder for the D80, does a nice job on cutting down the sky on bright days plus I used it upside down at one point to cut the reflextion from a chrome bumper on an old car while keeping the highlights on the hood. Pretty trick.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories