I’m actually enjoying my AM commute these days

Tell Us About Your Rides!

I’m actually enjoying my AM commute these days

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:26 am

I know, sounds weird don’t it? especially since I can’t stand my current boss who makes my life at work torture since I never know what sort of insanity he’s going to come up with next or what new thing he’s going to start ragging on me about based nothing more than I'm willing to stand up to him…. but wait, this is about my commute and the fact I now enjoy going in not about why I don’t like being there once I arrive…so…

The Gw Parkway is really nice at 4:30-5:30 in the morning, esp. on days like the last two. Today, for instance I stopped several times at some of the pull offs and just sat enjoying the views of the early sunrise/predawn sky and mist on the river and stopped at the marina to take a few shots of the water and boats. while I was there all these little fish kept jumping, sometimes 5, 10 or more at a time, as the sun light turned the water from a flat darkness to subtle shades of red and orange, and the ripples spread out in little expanding circles of light and dark rings, with an occasional larger fish jumping further out from shore making even bigger circles. Then some ducks came floating by, leaving a trail of wakes in the predawn reddened waters. So I got out my 8.1 cybershot and put it on manual mode and started shooting some photos in the hopes of catching a few of the little fish jumping, the changing play of shadows of the shoreline trees overhanging the water that formed an arch through which the ducks swam, and the masts of the sail boats reflected on the changing colors of the water with subtle shades of brightening sky behind.

Well before I knew it I wound up being a bit late for work and firing off a hundred plus photos and THINK I ever got one of the little fishes just as he was cresting its jump, but I’ll have to wait until I get home and look at it on something other than the itty-bitty little screen of the camera.

I wonder how many folks can say they enjoy their commute in the work? Probably more motor folks than most other’s who use some other more boring form of daily transportation I would recon

So yeah, I LIKE my commute in the AM, do you?

(Pictures to come if there are any worthwhile sharing,, god I love digital, 116 shots taken and if not one comes out, still no cost other than my time spent, which is free and is only my time so I can "waste" it as I choose, :lol: and maybe if’n I’m lucky a few new lessons learned along the way.)

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Deano » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am

Yep, I like my commute in the AM, however the PM commute is a little better in that I am heading in the right direction. The nine hours or so in between are a bit of a black hole, allowing little, if anything, good to escape.

Looking forward to the photos... :D
2007 R1200GS - "Lucky"
2004 R1150RA - REST IN PIECES
Deano
Mildly Retarded Gubmint Worker

Postby RocketMan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:01 am

My PM isn't bad for the first part along the parkway, but the last part down Rt. 1 can suck if there is any traffic build-up but at least I get out at 3 so miss the worst of it most days and therre just is no way around it, either Rt 1 or 95 south, yuck! So for me the AM is always the best, no traffic at all so early :lol:

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Ben_Ricci » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:17 am

RocketMan wrote:So for me the AM is always the best, no traffic at all so early :lol:

RM

I love my morning commute this time of the year. Virtually no traffic on a blissful blast up Rt. 15 to Harrisburg. As you noted the air is still, the sun is rising and the open fields can be seen in the earliest of light, not to mention all the pleasant aromas (and some not so--like the egg/poultry farm north of Gettysburg :cry: ), but yes, it's a thrill. I even get up early on Sunday morning and go to early Mass in Harrisburg just to do it again. As for the p.m. run? Same trip. Other side of the day. Other side of the road. And it sucks. :D
Ben_Ricci

Re: I’m actually enjoying my AM commute these days

Postby kjackson » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:53 pm

RocketMan wrote:

The Gw Parkway is really nice at 4:30-5:30 in the morning, esp. on days like the last two. ...

RM

I leave Woodbridge between 4:00 - 4:30am so I must be just ahead of you every morning. The views can be quite breathtaking. My favorite is when there is recent snow and the moon is bright. The bite in the air, the moonlight gleaming from the snow with the river as a backdrop is unbelievable. I don't take pictures but I do stop occasionally (at the risk of sounding like a old hippie) just to commune.

There are times when I motor north from Rt1 to Alexandria via the parkway and never see another vehicle until I get into town proper. Those are the bestusest mornings. Just me and the deer. :D

Kermit
Never pass up an opportunity to keep your mouth shut. - Winston Churchill

There are people dying every day that have never lived. - me

It'll become painfully obvious when the gun owners become "unreasonable".
kjackson
The PURDY One

Postby Chiba » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:50 pm

I looooooove riding in up the short stretch of the GW Pkwy I commute on. Very tranquil, although I think I probably have to dodge more traffic that y'all 2 early risers :)

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Ride Stories