The Drummer, the Private Eye, and Me (Rush Fans Take Note)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: The Drummer, the Private Eye, and Me (Rush Fans Take Not

Postby bytor1958 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:38 am

Flaco, if you get a chance check out this link http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/ it has some cool stuff on it. :D
bytor1958

Postby Rick F. » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 pm

bytor1958 wrote:I know this is a BMW message board. But I do ride on a Honda VTX1100 Shadow Sabre. But why I am here is because I found this searching for "RUSH" stuff to read. I heard about how Neil took his inspiration from Ricks article about "A Nice Morning Drive" for Red Barchetta. And here I am. I am also jealous of your ride Rick with Neil. I have been a RUSH FAN since 1976 when I first heard 2112. And from then on, well you know the story of all RUSH FANS. The article was a nice read and sounds like it was a real blast. My real name is Jim I use Bytor1958 for a alot of screen names on forums. :oops: RUSH FOR EVER!!!!!

Freewill: "If you choose not to decide you have still made a choice"

Jim,

I'm glad you enjoyed the report on my ride with Neil. We've stayed in contact ever since, and I finally got to hear "Red Barchetta" live in concert last summer.

I hope you've seen the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" documentary. It's a fascinating look at Rush's history.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Falco wrote:Great Post, By-Tor, its how I found this site too.....

I've got my front row ticket to see RUSH in the UK once again soon - CANT WAIT !!!

Look up Neil's books, if you get chance - I've read two already and really enjoyed his writing style and insights - being a Rush fan is even more of a help as you can see where some song lyric influences were based.

Falco,

Thanks for posting. FYI, Neil has a new book in the works, and I believe it's pretty closed to being finished. Stay tuned!

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby bytor1958 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:30 am

Rick F. wrote:
bytor1958 wrote:I know this is a BMW message board. But I do ride on a Honda VTX1100 Shadow Sabre. But why I am here is because I found this searching for "RUSH" stuff to read. I heard about how Neil took his inspiration from Ricks article about "A Nice Morning Drive" for Red Barchetta. And here I am. I am also jealous of your ride Rick with Neil. I have been a RUSH FAN since 1976 when I first heard 2112. And from then on, well you know the story of all RUSH FANS. The article was a nice read and sounds like it was a real blast. My real name is Jim I use Bytor1958 for a alot of screen names on forums. :oops: RUSH FOR EVER!!!!!

Freewill: "If you choose not to decide you have still made a choice"

Jim,

I'm glad you enjoyed the report on my ride with Neil. We've stayed in contact ever since, and I finally got to hear "Red Barchetta" live in concert last summer.

I hope you've seen the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" documentary. It's a fascinating look at Rush's history.

Rick

Rick,

I do have the "Beyond the Lighted Stage" DVD. It was GREAT. I just can't seem to get enough of these guys, they are awsome. :D

Jim (By-Tor1958)
bytor1958

Postby Rick Lee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 am

I haven't checked in for a looong time. But I have a few recent Neil stories of my own. If you guys follow his website, you might recall the story about when the tour bus broke down in Vegas last August. Well, I was at that show (at MGM). While walking back to our hotel after the show, I noticed Neil's bus was still in the production parking lot, which I thought was odd. Anyway, a few blocks away my wife and I were waiting at a crosswalk and Neil rode up to the red light next to us, led by two of LV's finest on their Harleys. Neil had his visor up and my wife, no huge Rush fan, having grown up in China, recognized him as soon as I did. There were hundreds of concert goers walking around and no one else seemed to notice him. He was no more than 10' from us. My wife yelled out, "There's Neil." Poor Neil just looked like he couldn't wait for that light to turn green. LOL.

A few days later I flew to Denver for the Red Rocks show. While waiting for will call to open, we went up to the visitor center, where Neil's bus was parked and BMW of Denver was delivering his and Michael's bikes in a trailer.

Anyway, my 20th reunion from my junior year in Germany is coming up and I'll go see Rush in Frankfurt on Mem. Day weekend and then catch them here in Phoenix, probably will ride to San Diego and/or LA for those shows too.

BTW, I went to the opener in Albuquerque last June, made a business trip out of it. Again, if you follow Neil's site, you know he broke down on I-40 en route there a few days before the show. Has I just left the house two hrs. earlier that day, I'd have driven right by Michael and him and of course, stopped to help.

Oh, and here I am next to his amazing kit at NAMM in January. You really can't see how detailed this whole thing is on stage, even if you're right up front. It's a work of art.

Rick Lee

Postby Ted » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Going to see Rush Friday night in Baltimore - considering riding up:)

Hope they play Red Barchetta!
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby Ted » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:20 pm

The show was AWESOME - even ran into our own Rick Foster :)
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Ted wrote:The show was AWESOME - even ran into our own Rick Foster :)

Ted,

It was great to see you again, even if only briefly. Tim ("Wired Cur") was there, too.

And you're right, it was a great show, complete with Red Barchetta (not to mention the rest of the entire Moving Pictures album).

Neil, by the way, has a new R1200GS with the overhead-cam engine. It's just had its 1,000-mile service and is being shipped to Europe for the next stage of their tour. Neil has also talked Michael into getting a new GS, which will arrive in 2 weeks. Anybody interested in Michael's 2006 GS with 59,000 miles and in perfect shape?

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Its always a happy day when YYZ appears on your concert tick

Postby Falco » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Great to read this thread all over again...

Paraphrase: "Its always a happy day when YYZ appears on your concert tickets!"

Yippee - Front block ticket for a UK date, I'll be deaf, hoarse and unable to walk the next day - cant wait LOL.

Cheers - Frank
Falco

Postby wiredcur » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm

Rick F. wrote:

Ted,

It was great to see you again, even if only briefly. Tim ("Wired Cur") was there, too.

And you're right, it was a great show, complete with Red Barchetta (not to mention the rest of the entire Moving Pictures album).

Neil, by the way, has a new R1200GS with the overhead-cam engine. It's just had its 1,000-mile service and is being shipped to Europe for the next stage of their tour. Neil has also talked Michael into getting a new GS, which will arrive in 2 weeks. Anybody interested in Michael's 2006 GS with 59,000 miles and in perfect shape?

Rick

So Rick - did you get to go say "Hi" to Neil while you where there? Just wondering.

Rush-meet-n-greet_sm.gif

This was my first RUSH show. Quite the overwhelming experience.
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby alton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:32 am

Hi all
Im new one on this forum and I really enjoyed my first visit hera.Thanks for sharing such a great information with us. :Blaster:
alton

Postby Rick F. » Wed May 04, 2011 10:31 pm

wiredcur wrote:
Rick F. wrote:

Ted,

Rick

So Rick - did you get to go say "Hi" to Neil while you where there? Just wondering.

Rush-meet-n-greet_sm.gif

This was my first RUSH show. Quite the overwhelming experience.

Tim,

Yep, my wife and I visited with Neil for about an hour before sound check and then got a tour of the stage from him afterwards. He's a great guy--and he was really looking forward to being home with his wife and young daughter for a week or so before heading off for the European leg of the tour (new GS and all).

Incidentally, he's just come out with a new book, called Far and Away, that's a collection of his website's trip reports, stories, etc. It's really nicely done--he's an excellent writer, as you probably know. Most importantly ( =D> ), the first chapter in the book uses several of my photos.

Great to see you at the show, even if only briefly. And what a show it was!

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby wiredcur » Thu May 05, 2011 5:40 am

Rick F. wrote:
Incidentally, he's just come out with a new book, called Far and Away, that's a collection of his website's trip reports, stories, etc. It's really nicely done--he's an excellent writer, as you probably know. Most importantly ( =D> ), the first chapter in the book uses several of my photos.

Great to see you at the show, even if only briefly. And what a show it was!

Rick

That's awesome!!! Congrats on getting photos published in such a notable author's book. :-)

The show was amazing. It was my first Rush show which was extra special getting the meet'n'greet passes to boot!
'04 BMW R1150GS - RatGS

"I lift things up and I put them down."
wiredcur
The Fluffernutter Kid

Postby Edward7 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 am

amazing.
Edward7

Postby Falco » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 am

I forgot all about posting some piccies I tried to snap at the concert; hard work when one is enjoying the event too much ;)

Living on the lighted stage:

Neil watches:

Neil gets zapped!

Show us your guitars, boys:

What a RUSH:

The master in motion:

BIG Geddy:

EASILY the best concert I've ever been to - Thanks Gents!

Frank
Falco

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories