Summit Point Racin'.

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Summit Point Racin'.

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:24 pm

That's a list of the animals I saw today, but of course, I don't actually have pictures of them. AaronADV had his son racing today up at Summit Point, and I wanted to go see'em race. 88XT660 met me in Potomac about 730AM, and we grabbed some fuel first at the most expensive station in the area.

Then we headed out a dizzying array of back roads, crossed over White's Ferry, and hit as much gravel as we could on the way to Summit Point.

It's hard to believe that this area is only about 20 miles outside of the DC city limits, but it is.

We got to the paddock, and had a look around. There were bikes of all types, but certainly the GSXR's were the most dominate type of bike I saw. There were a few gems mixed in though, such as this KTM Motard.

It was surprising to see the different types of racers competing. It varied from the complex type (Aarons shown below) with a motor-home, trailers, awnings, multiple bikes, etc, to the guy who brought his bike to the track in the back of a pick up truck, and slept in a tent.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:07 pm

OK, onto the racing. This is James Rispoli, a 15 year old phenom, racing way, way above his age group. Today, he was racing with the light twins on an Aprilia 550 motard. According to Aaron, this kid has some skills, and we'll see more of him in the future.

And this is Spencer Brown, Aarons son, racing the Honda CRF-450 motard. He's been racing a while, and came in 2nd place in his race today.

And you can't really see much of the bikes, but here are my pics.

And some cellphone video I shot of the superbikes coming down the straightaway. They are hitting some serious speeds at this point.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:11 pm

And of course, there were some failures. This guy tumbled along with his bike on the last turn, he popped right up, and seemed unhurt.

And then there was this poor guy, who collided with another guy on the track. The other guy rode his bike away (see below) while the first bike got hauled away in two pieces.

Like you need a GS for a dirt road.

Beauty and the Beast.

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:17 pm

It was time to leave, so I posed on top of the Aprilia with Gary, while the teenage racers made fun of me behind my back. As I was getting geared up they asked me if that was "BMW Suit" and if you had to have one to ride a BMW.

And then I was off, Gary went on to Harpers to check on some stuff, and I ended up going back across White's Ferry.

Waiting in line

Women on cruisers leaving the ferry. Pretty good sneer they have going on here too.

Riding on the ferry with my incredibly fantastic GPS mount.

Fun day, only 200 miles, but not an inch of interstate and only a few miles on 4 lane roads. :D
Dough Boy

Postby Rick F. » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:31 pm

DB,

Looks like you had a fun day. Did the motards race strictly on the regular, paved Summit Point course, or did they go onto dirt somewhere?

I enjoyed the pic's--thanks for posting.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:21 pm

Hey Rick, they raced the motards with the other bikes on the regular course. The Aprilia fared surprisingly well up against bigger, more powerful competition.
Dough Boy

Postby Graybeard » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks for posting, Dan. Looks like I missed out on a fun day!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:39 pm

A great shot of the Aprilia from someone else there...

Dough Boy

Postby Dough Boy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 am

Two more pics from the ADV'er that took them.

The Aprilia chasing down a SV650

Earlier pictured KTM Super Moto
Dough Boy

Return to Ride Stories