Fort Valley----once again!

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Fort Valley----once again!

Postby RocketMan » Tue May 08, 2007 9:34 pm

After doing a bunch of gardening (which I hate) to help out Jeanne Sat. I decided Sunday was mine to go for a nice long ride. Left the house around 9 AM and headed out to Gainesville, temps were a nice pleasant mid 50’s and not much traffic going out. As I passed the Sheetz in Gainesville there didn’t seem to be much action, motorcycle wise so I just kept going up 55 to Front Royal and decided to head over to Fort Valley Rd.

Rolled along at a nice clip and again no traffic so the road was pretty much mine. As got to open valley area of the ride I considered taking a few detours down some roads that head off to the left and wind along the valley closer to the river but on the LT didn’t feel like doing any dirt or gavel so I just stayed on the main road. I was feeling kinda blue about some changes at work, boss wise so I wasn’t feeling particularly inspired photo wise during the first part so I just road without making any of my usual stops.

When I got the split near the south end I decided to stay on Fort Valley road and head over to Rt. 11 instead of going along Camp Roosevelt Rd as I would normally do. Nice little bit of road but not as tall a climb as the other way. Got to Rt. 11 and headed south to pick up 211. As I got to the first town on 11 I saw this old barn and thought the way the windows were arranged was kinda kool, so I stopped and got my first shots of the day.

As I road along 11 my spirits starting picking up and by the time I got to 211 things were definitely looking up. Temps were now around low 60’s so after crossing the mountains I did stop a few times for photos.
Here I tried to capture how green everything has been this spring even with the lack of rain.

An odd little mound in a field near the next pictures of an old house and out building. Wonder if its some burial mound?

Right across the road from the mound was this old structure with a no hunting sign in front, don’t suppose they mean, no hunting in the house? :lol:

When I got back to Gainesville there were a few other bikes so I stopped for a cup of Joe and to shoot the sh*t for a bit. As I was hanging out three guys on Norton Commandos pulled in. All 1974 models, sweet!

And finally on the way back down 649 toward home I stopped to take this pic of a swampy area along the road.

All in all, I burned up a tank of gas, got around 200 miles of nice riding with mostly no traffic, temps mostly in the mid 50’s, and a little over 6 hours of road time.

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby cdbugler » Wed May 09, 2007 5:36 am

As always...beautiful pics. Man, you're a night owl! :D
cdbugler

Postby Graybeard » Wed May 09, 2007 5:57 am

Very nice shots and story, RM! Especially liked the fence post shot!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Wed May 09, 2007 7:32 pm

RM,

Nice pictures & report--thanks!

My favorite is the swamp shot. My favorite would have been the Norton Commando--but I just can't deal with the left-foot-braking, right-foot-shifting concept!

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories