Man of Leisure

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Postby RocketMan » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:27 pm

The good, the bad, the ugly...

the Good....getting rid of the stress

the bad...... job hunting (I hate that)

the ugly....

the guy that fired ya! Ha Ha! :lol:

So why head down to South Carolina? thats where Jeanne and I are heading in the not too distant future, living's a Whole LOT cheaper there

"To maintain the same standard of living
it's 42.3% cheaper to live in Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, South Carolina than Washington DC
it's 31.2% cheaper to live in Charleston, South Carolina than Washington DC"
:lol: :lol:
taken from

http://www.bestplaces.net/col

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Kres » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 pm

Working in affiliation with TWC, I've seen the "flow" of folks moving from AOL to other TWC companies go from a trickle to a torrent in the last 6 months.

As a manager, I refused to allow the HR knobs RIF my people. I insisted on doing it myself. I took a lot of that home with me, but always felt better about it in the end. The upper level VP's and Directors always thought I was nuts - but I thought they were irresponsible cretins for not having enough respect for their people to cowboy up and face unpleasantness. The current crop of C-level and upper level management in this country surrendered their common sense and manhood at the door along with their souls.

Regardless, this attitude allowed me to better help the RIF'd find a new gig and keep in touch after we parted professional ways. 9 out of 10 times they really WERE happier in a few days, and moved on to better jobs that didn't cause as much anxiety.

If your interested in opportunities in the Reston area let me know - I might have a good lead on some stuff for you.

If you can take the time, you might think about joining me and a pal on a ride to West Virginia this weekend.
-Kres
Kres
My other bike is a station wagon

Postby Maria V » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:36 am

So Mike, if you can drag out this man-of-leisure thing through the summer, wanna go on a little trip? You have your pick of a 2 week or 3 week jaunt. :lol: Or both, you're good company.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Maria V » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Oh, and I have 2 questions for you:

1) Did you ever answer the other 322 emails?
2) Are you available for farm chores? We have been toying with adding a shed roof/overhang for horse shade.
:D
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Unity » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Maria V wrote:Are you available for farm chores? We have been toying with adding a shed roof/overhang for horse shade.

Hey! :evil: I was going to try to hire him to rake our leaves. :P

--John 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby MrE » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:38 pm

Maria V wrote:Oh, and I have 2 questions for you:

Hell no. I didn't even read them.
2) Are you available for farm chores? We have been toying with adding a shed roof/overhang for horse shade.

Maybe. Does it pay well? :-)
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Maria V » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:40 am

mrenloe wrote:
Maria V wrote:Oh, and I have 2 questions for you:

Hell no. I didn't even read them.

In money or Belgian Trappist ale, available only from my relatives? 8)
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby MrE » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Maria V wrote:
mrenloe wrote:

You had to pull the Trappist Ale card... I'll be there. As soon as I finish cleaning up all this puke. Michael is sick. Ick.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Maria V » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:57 am

mrenloe wrote:
Maria V wrote:
mrenloe wrote:

You had to pull the Trappist Ale card... I'll be there. As soon as I finish cleaning up all this puke. Michael is sick. Ick.

Eeew. Sorry for you.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby dgraling » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:30 pm

Sorry to hear about the RIF - I wish Cisco could use your talents - maybe we can - but in Herndon we're just a sales/SE type operation but if you want to get me your resume I can get you into the system. We're growing really quickly right now. We're getting quite an assortment of BMW riders - R1150GS, R1100RT and R1200GS so far.

Hey if you're still a man of leisure in July I'm heading to Mexico with two other BMW riders - No. Va. to San Antonio, through Mexico to Belize and back up. Two weeks on the road.
Don Graling
Centreville, Virginia
2009 R1200RT
dgraling
Frequent Poster

Postby Graybeard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:50 pm

Sorry about the RIF, Mike. While many may already know your talents, why not a brief recap for those of us who don't. Never know who may hear of something!
Larry
Germantown, MD
'06 R12RT, MD 0011 BMR
'16 S1000XR, MD 0052 BMR
Graybeard
Board Guru

Postby Qijote » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:17 pm

Mike:
So sorry to hear about your RIF. I just read this. I was one of those VPs riffing others when I got riffed myself in the summer of 2003. I was unemployed for 13 months. The job market is MUCH better now than in 2003. I don't expect you'll be unemployed for more than about 3 months...
I recommend that, first, you sign up for one of those job bots that will search Careerbuilder, Monster, Hot Jobs, etc for you per your criteria and send you the job listings.
Second, consider it a full time job in itself. You HAVE a full time job: it is finding a job! Follow the regular routine as if you were at a paying job.
Third, network, network, network. That's how I eventually found my current job at SAP.
Fourth, set daily objectives for yourself and reward yourself at the end of the day with a ride! Honest, I did this. I would set an objective of applying to three jobs, writing three blind letters to companies I liked, and making three networking phone calls. If I did all those things, I'd go for a ride at the end of the day.
When I think of how I kept my sanity through that long period, after Silvia's support I must say it was those nearly daily rides on my Rockster!
Best of luck,
Roy
"Life needs a mixture of excitement and routine. Too much of either is exhausting." Linda Crill in "Blind Curves"

1972 Honda CB 350
2004 R1150R Rockster "Rocinante" (sold)
2014 1190 Adventure
Qijote
Board Guru

Postby MrE » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Qijote wrote:I recommend that, first, you sign up for one of those job bots that will search Careerbuilder, Monster, Hot Jobs, etc for you per your criteria and send you the job listings.

Done...
Second, consider it a full time job in itself. You HAVE a full time job: it is finding a job! Follow the regular routine as if you were at a paying job.

Working on getting into that routine.
Third, network, network, network. That's how I eventually found my current job at SAP.

In progress. So far that has been my focus.
Fourth, set daily objectives for yourself and reward yourself at the end of the day with a ride! Honest, I did this. I would set an objective of applying to three jobs, writing three blind letters to companies I liked, and making three networking phone calls. If I did all those things, I'd go for a ride at the end of the day.

Great idea. Started that today.

For those that care, here is a summary of my skills:
10 years of experience in the software development industry with a broad range of skills covering QA, project management, and personnel management. I have strong analytical skills and excel at transferring big picture understanding into process improvement, risk identification, and problem resolution. Additionally I have nearly 4 years experience in the defense industry managing procurement contracts for the Dept of Navy and providing Project Engineering service covering manufacturing and quality control, systems engineering and testing, and program management.

See the link below for a copy of my resume.

If anyone wants to provide feedback on either format or content, I am usually happy to receive it. Also, if you know of a position that might be a match, I can tailor my resume to highlight the needed skills. PM's, email or the old fashioned telephone are all good ways to reach me (mrenloe@aol.com, 703-282-7652).

Thanks.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby The Dude! » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:19 pm

mrenloe wrote:
Qijote wrote:I recommend that, first, you sign up for one of those job bots that will search Careerbuilder, Monster, Hot Jobs, etc for you per your criteria and send you the job listings.

Done...

Working on getting into that routine.

In progress. So far that has been my focus.

Great idea. Started that today.

For those that care, here is a summary of my skills:
10 years of experience in the software development industry with a broad range of skills covering QA, project management, and personnel management. I have strong analytical skills and excel at transferring big picture understanding into process improvement, risk identification, and problem resolution. Additionally I have nearly 4 years experience in the defense industry managing procurement contracts for the Dept of Navy and providing Project Engineering service covering manufacturing and quality control, systems engineering and testing, and program management.

See the link below for a copy of my resume.

If anyone wants to provide feedback on either format or content, I am usually happy to receive it. Also, if you know of a position that might be a match, I can tailor my resume to highlight the needed skills. PM's, email or the old fashioned telephone are all good ways to reach me (mrenloe@aol.com, 703-282-7652).

Thanks.
Ever think of turning the woodworking hobby into a full time gig?? I'm seriously contemplating moving back to the area in 5 years or so and doing that. Not retirement, but not "work" either.
The Dude!

Previous

Return to Ride Stories