In Search of Battletown

Tell Us About Your Rides!

In Search of Battletown

Postby Rick F. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:10 pm

Yesterday's ride was in pursuit of Battletown, MD--at least, that was the general excuse. I wasn't sure that there was any such place, but I'd found Battletown Road on the map, and it appeared to run right alongside the upper reaches of Antietam Creek, northeast of Hagerstown, so that was good enough for me!

It was a stirring 33 degrees when I left home, headed initially for Frederick and Alternate Route 40 to Middletown, Boonsboro, and Funkstown. (Yes, these are all real places.) Although it was supposed to warm up and be sunny, and I had declared March 1st to be the unofficial first day of Spring, it sure looked like it was still winter. In addition, there were a suspicious number of dark clouds around, as seen in the left side here:

At Funkstown, I headed northeast toward Chewsville, then Leitersburg, and on into Pennsylvania. I first explored the East Branch of the Antietam a bit, and found this bridge over the stream not far (I think) from Waynesboro, PA:

A little further upstream:

Backtracking, I located Iron Bridge Road and the confluence of East and West Branches of the Antietam. No Iron Bridge was in sight, but there were plenty of these guys:

Farther on, I missed a planned turn onto Marsh Road because of this pretty sight:

Then I got to wondering when this footbridge had last been used:

By now, my nice clear day had turned to a steady light rain, and I wasn't finding any of my intended roads. Eventually, between Marsh Road, Marsh Pike, Marsh Haven Lane, Leitersburg Road, Leiters Mill Road, and Leitersburg Pike, it dawned on me that I might just be well and truly lost. I pulled over here to ask directions, but there didn't seem to be anyone around for some reason:

After studying the Washington County map book for a while, I was headed back in the right direction. Eventually, I ended up on the long-sought Battletown Road. It was scenic and offered many views of a mildly flooded Antietam Creek--but there wasn't any sign whatsoever of the Lost City of Battletown. Using my keen powers of observation, I randomly decided that it must have once stood on the far side of the creek, right about here:

Heading on, I rode up Lehman's Mill road and actually found Lehman's Mill on the first try (although it was on the opposite side of the road than shown on the county map; or was I just going in the wrong direction on the right road??) I continued on in the rain, skirting around Hagerstown toward points west. I stopped by Hagerstown Speedway, to see what it looked like--it looked like a big, wet, muddy, dirt oval track--and then discovered Wilson Bridge over Conococheague Creek. It carried all the Route 40 traffic up until 1937. It was badly damaged by Hurricane Agnes in 1972--in fact, it was entirely under water!

I kept on going, through Clear Spring and Indian Springs until Big Pool Road, which I took (naturally) towards Big Pool on the C & O Canal. Following along various dirt roads into the park, I began to encounter patches of snow and ice. Eventually, the road was completely covered with the stuff, but the GS handled it just fine (as long as I trundled along at no more than 0.6 mph, with both feet down!) Here's my faithful steed, parked next to an iced-over Big Pool in the background.

By now it was time to head home, so no opportunity to visit Fort Frederick right next to Big Pool--but I couldn't resist stopping very briefly at McCoy's Ferry. This is the tunnel leading under the train tracks into the park alongside the C & O Canal. I'd read that numerous fossils can be found here--but the only one I managed to locate during my brief stop was Yr Fthfl Srvnt! Next time...

By now, the rain had stopped, and I scooted back home by way of 56, 68 (the little one), Devil's Backbone Park, etc., for a roundtrip of 215 fun-if-slightly-wet miles. It was a terrific ride, and I'm thrilled that Spring has returned (more or less!)

Rick F.

PS--As always, if anyone is interested in the particular route, just let me know.
Last edited by Rick F. on Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: In Search of Battletown

Postby BMWGirl » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Rick F. wrote:Image

GREAT Picture Rick!!! I think you found a real LIVE Ghost town (hahahaha) :lol:

thanks for sharing the pics!! Looks like you had a great ride!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Unity » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Nice tour. Thanks. :D

--John 8) 8)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby pjamet » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:43 am

I got to say, you've got a good eye for great pictures and your reports are always filled with background information on what your are photographing (can I say that?), such as tWIlson bridge and the routes you took.
Thank you. :D
pjamet

Postby Rick F. » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:49 pm

Tina, John, & PJ,

Thanks for your comments. It's a lot of fun to post the ride reports, and it's always great to get feedback.

That place really did look like a ghost town, Tina. It apparently used to be a railroad depot of some kind, since train tracks ran directly by it (behind the building that I parked next to). There was a large silo farther back, and the platform in front of the GS looked to be a scale for weighing loads of something--e.g., corn? Maybe local farmers brought their crops here, to be weighed, bought, and loaded onto trains?

BTW, after I'd ridden solo along the snow-covered road into Big Pool and into the parking area, it occurred to me that trying to pick up a tipped-over, 520-lb bike on a slippery surface would be quite a challenge. That's when I resolved not to fall over!

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Maria V » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:20 pm

Nice photos!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Return to Ride Stories