to Americade, then on to Quebec

Tell Us About Your Rides!

to Americade, then on to Quebec

Postby GMUSL » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:00 am

Hi all. I just returned from a fantastic, solo, 1950 mile trip to Americade, then on to Quebec. No slab riding, except for one fantastic stretch (see below) and one awful stretch (I-81) on my way home. No rain, except for one day of torrential downpours from Oneonta NY on.

Some highlights:

1. PA 443, a great road between Harrisburg and near Jim Thorpe, PA.

2. Jim Thorpe, a tremendous and (to me) previously unknown town.

3. Tremendous B&B's in Jim Thorpe and in Warrensburg, NY (5 miles north of Lake George).

4. Hyde Park, NY and the FDR museum.

5. The Taconic State Parkway in NY (wonderful except for seams in the asphalt).

6. The surreal view of 80,000 bikes at the Americade.

7. The absolutely tremendous roads in the Adirondack region of NY -- great pavement, no trucks, and gorgeous lakes where we could stop and picnic.

8. The bus that stops at Albany airport (where my wife, who dislikes long bike rides, flew in and joined me on about 350 miles of local rides over 4 days) and takes passengers right to Lake George and to Warrensburg.

9. I-87 North from Warrensburg to the Quebec border -- incredible scenery, perfect paving, sweepers, NO trucks.

10. Multiple great highways for bikes in southern Quebec (Cantons de l'Est). Tremendous villages from Dunham to Knowlton to North Hatley. Huge numbers of motorcyclists all over this part of La Belle Province, by the way -- I speak fluent French and made many new friends and contacts.

Safe riding, all.

Michael
GMUSL

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:44 pm

Hi Michael, great ride!

Do you ride only solo, or do you like groups too?

You should join us for a Ride To Eat (RTE) sometime!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby GMUSL » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:08 pm

No, I love to ride in groups -- though I'm not a hot shot and rarely go more than 5mph above the speed limit.

I'll try to make the Fairfax RTE -- but do they serve lo-carb food? I'm a true South Beach believer! :D
GMUSL

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:17 pm

darnestowner wrote:No, I love to ride in groups -- though I'm not a hot shot and rarely go more than 5mph above the speed limit.

I'll try to make the Fairfax RTE -- but do they serve lo-carb food? I'm a true South Beach believer! :D

Several of us are, and it's not a problem! :D

As for riding fast, we tend to be fairly conservative, but have fun at the same time.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: to Americade, then on to Quebec

Postby DUKR » Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:03 pm

darnestowner wrote:7. The absolutely tremendous roads in the Adirondack region of NY -- great pavement, no trucks, and gorgeous lakes where we could stop and picnic.

9. I-87 North from Warrensburg to the Quebec border -- incredible scenery, perfect paving, sweepers, NO trucks.

Michael

Hi Michael!
I hope you waved to my mom and friends as you cruised up 87 through Plattsburgh, NY - just a few minutes prior to the canadian border... That beautiful part of the country is where I was born and raised, and have ridden scenic roads that literally can take your breath away. I love being up there in the fall, where it isn't tough to find roads that are canopied in brilliantly colored leaves for miles and miles... I'm glad you were able to experience the north country... It is truly a beautiful place!! :D
DUKR

Postby GMUSL » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:20 am

Hi Michelle,

I likely missed your family (unless they were riding motorcycles!), but I concur fully about the region. Cool mornings and evenings are a special treat while riding, and a real contrast to our southern humidity.

I spent 10 years in North Hatley, Quebec (10 miles north of Newport, VT -- look it up!), and know exactly what you mean when you describe your birthplace. Though the "watch for moose on roadways" signs are a bit unsettling... :P

Cheers,
Michael

'03 R1200C Montana
GMUSL

Postby DUKR » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:18 am

darnestowner wrote:Hi Michelle,

Though the "watch for moose on roadways" signs are a bit unsettling... :P

Cheers,
Michael

'03 R1200C Montana

Quick moose story -
One year while attending Laconia, I left the campsite early in search of coffee. It was maybe 6am, the time when the mist is still rising off the ground and the sun is just starting to burn it away. As I enjoyed the fresh morning air at about 35mph, something to my right caught my eye. In the field that bordered the road, a moose was taking its morning run. Our speeds were almost matched (or so it seemed from that distance), and we rode/ran in parallel for what seemed like miles (ok, maybe a half-mile). Even from -oh, I dunno, maybe 800ft?- the animal was HUGE as it loped along.
While a beautiful "kodak moment", the reality check of what could have happened had he been running AT me instead of alongside me was unsettling... Probably like being hit by a 100 yr old oak tree.. Scary!!
Certainly need to take those signs seriously!! :shock:
DUKR

Postby Ted » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:29 pm

Michelle,

Does this look familiar?

My first trip through Plattsburgh, on the way to Montreal via the Adirondacks in 2002 - .

More Pics
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby DUKR » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:02 pm

Of course!! And the one behind it had a Santa on it over the holidays :lol: ... I lived about 5 minutes from that very spot. Nice picture, Ted - Thanks!
DUKR

Postby Ted » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:05 pm

BOXR wrote:the one behind it ..

This one?

Hehehe :)
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Postby DUKR » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:12 pm

<chuckle> You betcha...

Next time I'll check the link BEFORE I post the response :wink:

You have some great shots there.... Now I'm homesick!! - But happily homesick, if there is such a thing. I do miss it because it's so beautiful, but happy that I don't have to be there ALL WINTER!!! Brrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DUKR

Postby GMUSL » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:13 pm

On the subject of the North Country of New York, let me say that I found the roads north from Warrensburg through the Adirondack Park, through the towns of Speculator, Blue Mountain Lake, Indian Lake, etc. to be just phenomenal.
GMUSL

Return to Ride Stories