Mike's Loop

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Mike's Loop

Postby MrE » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:29 am

While looking for some roads for Kneeslider, I found this one from several years ago and decided to post it here. Enjoy,

mikeout...

---------------------------------------
One Saturday late last fall, I was in the mood to get lost so I fired up the GS and just started riding. I intentionally didn't take a map. Nevertheless, I kept ending up on roads that I knew, so I would turn off and again try to get lost. I failed miserably at getting lost but found a great route to spend an afternoon on. I have been back several times when I just needed to ride, but didn't have time to go exploring.

Starting from Herndon, VA, I travel Rt. 28 north, to Rt. 7 west to Rt. 9 west (toward Charlestown, WV).

Rt. 9 into West VA is a nice wide two lane road. Curves up and downhill. Lots of traffic and blind driveways so be careful.

After crossing the Shenandoah River, turn left on Kabeltown Rd (WV 25 - before you get to Charlestown). Turn left on 608. Turn left on 612. Kabeltown Rd., 608 and 612 wind through apple orchards and farms. These roads are mostly two lane with no center line, varying from excellent to pretty rough surface. But since I ride a GS, I don't care. Lots of farms and old houses. There are several other roads in this area, but they all end up on either US 340 or Rt. 7. So if you end up on 340, head south a few miles and turn left on Rt. 7. Or head back into the orchards and continue to work south to Rt. 7.

Once to Rt. 7, turn left (east) for a mile or two. Cross the Shenandoah and immediately turn right onto 606. 606 follows the river South for several miles and then turns up the mountain. Really nice on a hot day. 606 becomes 643 (to stay on 606, you have to turn right onto a gravel road for 2-3 miles). Then 643 becomes 606 again. On a non-GS, just follow the road, nice and curvy up the mtn and back down. On a GS, turn right to stay on 606 and get some good gravel road riding.

606 hits Rt. 50. Turn Left on 50 and head east. After a mile or so, turn left on Mt. Weather Rd (rt. 601). I found Ted Verril's write up, after the fact, so I will defer to his description:

"2. Mount Weather Road
Begins: On top of the ridge crest on Rt. 50 just a tenth of a mile or so west of Paris, Virginia.
Ends: On Rt. 7
Notes: Only about 8 miles long, the Mount Weather road runs roughly parallel to the Snickersville Turnpike, also beginning on the southern end on Rt. 50 and ending on the northern end at Rt. 7. Known as Mt. Weather because it has served for over 100 years as a US Government weather station (now an "Emergency Assistance Center"), the road follows the ridgeline and has several slow sweepers, one honest-to-goodness 10mph turn, and several scenic views. The southern end is just above Paris, Virginia, home to the famous Ashby Inn. By: Ted Verrill"

At Rt. 7, turn right (east) for a mile or less and turn right on 734 Snickersville Turnpike. Again, Ted wrote that one up too, so I will again defer to his write up (but I rode it in reverse rt. 7 to rt. 50):

"4. Rt. 734 Snickersville Turnpike
Without a doubt, the quintessential Virginia contryside road. Snickersville Turnpike is over 200 years old and saw heavy use during the Civil War. Towards the northern end there is a wonderful country store with sandwiches and hot drinks. Snickersville Turnpike starts on Rt. 50 at the south and ends at Rt. 7 to the north and runs for 14 miles of twists and turns. The roads surface is good, though in need of repair in some places due to rough or broken surface (the Snickersville Turnpike Association has been battling with the Virginia DOT over plans to alter the road and in doing so destroy much of the historical character.) (Mike's note: stop at Snickersville General store for a root beer or sandwich. It has been in continuous operation since 1845, I think. Even remained open during the War of Northern Aggression and sold supplies to both the Confederacy and the Union.) By: Ted Verrill"

Ride 50 east back to Herndon area. I hope you enjoy this route as much as I do.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:41 pm

Sounds very cool, so when are we going? :D

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Ride Stories