El Paso Ride Report, sort of.

Tell Us About Your Rides!

El Paso Ride Report, sort of.

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:21 pm

Being stuck in El Paso Texas with 75+ and sunny weather is making me nuts. So I put on my shorts and T-shirt, laced up my tennis shoes. Jumped in the rental CAGE and rolled all the windows down. I made motorcycle sounds as I rode around to simulate a ride, and pretended to go helmetless, since it is legal here in Texas!

This is what I did, and where I went.

Cattleman's Restaraunt Near Fabens Texas, about 30 miles out into the middle of nowhere.

A view of the owners house. Cattleman's is kind of like a Dude Ranch in the desert.

Awesome vistas.

Somewhat of a museum.

My happy coworkers waiting on the meal!

The interior of the restaraunt. Very cool!

World class food! Ribeye Steak, Baked potato with butter and sour cream and chives, marinated mushrooms, and chili beans with spices. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

El Paso is a great place to go if you like to eat, and are not worried about getting fat! :oops:

A real sherif, who works at the ranch.

A covered wagon in the parking lot.

Off to Columbus, NM where General Pershing had a few battles with Poncho Villa, and his base camp, Camp Furlong, was located.

The Caboose is left over from when the building above was the rail station. The railroad no longer goes near Columbus.

What 2 years of sun will do to an antique leather trunk.

Camp Furlong is an RV camp now for snowbirds.

Required moto picture. They were on their way home to Dallas, and always carried their bikes like this on trips.

A BMW F650, and a Honda Shadow. Guess who rode which?

An unidentified artifact in the museum building. Looks like a harnes for a woman, but it can't be, can it?

Ridge Road in El Paso affords a great view of El Paso and Juarez.

The green line is the border. El Paso is about .5 million, and Juarez is near 2 million people.

A view from my balcony in my hotel. I always liked the Embassy Suites.

So, not exactly a ride report, more of a "scouting mission" for a future ride. :lol:

Of course I have been here before on a bike, but I can scout again, and I was making motorcycle sounds when I did it! :lol:

Jim 8)

PS Cleaning the inside of the windshield was a pain though! :oops:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby pjamet » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Oh my Jim, your job sucks................................NOT! :wink:

Very nice pictures, TX.
pjamet

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:10 pm

pjamet wrote:Oh my Jim, your job sucks................................NOT! :wink:

Very nice pictures, TX.

Yeah, well, it wont suck for long. I will be changing jobs on the 14th, and no more weekend travel. Only during the week.

It may seem glamorous to travel a lot, but it get's to be a drag when I miss out on so much being gone for work.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby pjamet » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:36 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
pjamet wrote:Oh my Jim, your job sucks................................NOT! :wink:

Very nice pictures, TX.

Yeah, well, it wont suck for long. I will be changing jobs on the 14th, and no more weekend travel. Only during the week.

It may seem glamorous to travel a lot, but it get's to be a drag when I miss out on so much being gone for work.

Jim 8)

See right now, i am home too much.......like a rat in cage!! I could the occasional break from DC.
pjamet

Postby Dough Boy » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:43 pm

I spent 2 days in El Paso once. It did not strike me as a glamorous town.

Yecch.
Dough Boy

Postby BMWGirl » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:51 pm

I don't believe there is anything "glamorous" in south Texas!! However - I've never been to El Paso - I have been to Laredo - the point is - even in the pictures - there is NO COLOR!!! Most of what I saw were different shades of brown or green :(

Thanks for sharing the pics - some of the "museum" type pictures are sort of neat - BUT - that is NOT some kind of woman's harness!!! I'm pretty sure of that :D
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Unity » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:44 pm

BreadMan wrote:I spent 2 days in El Paso once. It did not strike me as a glamorous town.

Yecch.

What I remember most about El Paso is that it's at the end of the longest 800+ miles you can drive, from Beaumont TX to El Paso TX on I-10. It goes on. And on. And on. And on. :(

--John 8)
(Think how many times that longest ride across Texas has been ridden by Iron Butt competitors. :shock: )
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Return to Ride Stories