My first ride on the Blueridge Parkway

Tell Us About Your Rides!

My first ride on the Blueridge Parkway

Postby jjernigan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:04 pm

Since I had never been to the Blueridge Parkway I decide that it would be a nice day ride to the northern most entrance, ride the parkway for an hour or so then return home. I started kind of late about 11:30am, I slabbed down 95 to Fredericksburg where I took US1 south to 608 to 208 west. 208 west took me through Lake Anna.

Then I wound my way down 208 and 522 till I got Mineral, VA where I had a pretty good BBQ sandwich at "Almost Heavenly BBQ". From Mineral i worked my way towards 64 to slab it the rest of the way to the BRP. I rode down the parkway for about 45 minutes. I saw a couple of other bikes on the BRP one R1200RT.

There was still some snow on the sides of the road in the shaded areas but the roads were in great shape no sand or gravel on the BRP. I came across this really neat ice flowing out of the mountain.

I stopped at a few of the scenic overlooks and took these pictures.

On the return trip I rode backup the parkway and on to Skyline drive. Skyline drive had lots of gravel in the corners but very few cars in either direction. I exited at 33 and followed the reverse path home.

The total distance for the trip was 383 miles. I'm really looking forward to riding the BRP again, I can't wait till I can ride it from begining to end. I think I found my route to the Georgia Mountain Rally in May.
jjernigan

Postby Maria V » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:01 pm

Nice details and photos - thanks!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Star-Bellied Sneetch » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:46 pm

Blue Ridge is a blast! This is probably a great time of year to ride it, too - no traffic. Blue Ridge has just the type of turns I enjoy; sweeper after sweeper. No tight hairpin stuff.
Star-Bellied Sneetch

Postby Flash! » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:54 pm

I second that, Greenman--I loved riding a part of the Parkway last summer, and look forward to spending more time there this summer. I get a BRP magazine that gives all the activities along the Parkway each month, and I've already identified a bluegrass concert and a couple of quilt shows just off the Parkway I want to hit. :D

Thanks for the pictures, Jason!

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Return to Ride Stories