smokey mountains

Tell Us About Your Rides!

smokey mountains

Postby shaner1150r » Sun May 02, 2004 1:27 pm

This is a post from the R1150R.net web site that I posted after my ride down to the Smokey Mountains.

I had a great time meeting and riding with you guys. Here are a few pictures from the Ironhorse campground I stayed at. The Enforcers, a group of Cops riding Harleys, were also camping there. They weren’t that rowdy, except they keep on playing the Eagles all night long. You can only listen to Hotel California so many times before going completely mad.

There’s Phil who also camped at the Ironhorse.

Lunch time.

We stopped at this overlook and one of the guys decided to do a few donuts.
Do you see the burn outs? I think it was Jerry that did the donuts?

I decided to leave late Saturday morning to ride the BRP home back to Maryland. It was a long and slow ride up the BRP. I didn’t hit much traffic on the parkway, but I stopped a lot to take some pictures from the many overlooks along the way.

I made it as far as Blowing Rock, NC and decided to get on the highway and slab it the rest of the way to VA and then get a hotel. On Sunday I awoke to a foggy nightmare. I thought someone stole my bike. I was wrong I just couldn’t see it through the damn fog from the hotel window. After waiting a few hours for the fog to lift, which it never did, I decided to screw it and try to ride out of the fog. After a few miles of riding behind a camper, with it’s flashers on the fog disappeared.

After that ordeal I decided to slab it the rest of the way home.

Hope to see ya’ll again on future rides, until then ride safe.

Shane
shaner1150r

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun May 02, 2004 5:13 pm

Great ride report Shane. Very cool pictures. Looks like you guys had a pretty good time!

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby hollywood » Sun May 02, 2004 8:02 pm

Shane,

10 years living in East Tennessee I have to say I am WAY envious of your ride!!! I love the Smokey Mountains!!! Did not own a bike back in the day when I lived there :cry:
hollywood

replies

Postby shaner1150r » Mon May 03, 2004 9:00 am

Thanks guys! Quick question, how do you post pictures in your post. I thought you could just paste them in the message but that dosn't work?

shane
shaner1150r

Re: replies

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon May 03, 2004 6:37 pm

shaner1150r wrote:Thanks guys! Quick question, how do you post pictures in your post. I thought you could just paste them in the message but that dosn't work?

shane

Shane,

You were close, you had part of it already.

I first created a picture web site and then just linked each picture to the forum. In reality I am not downloading any of the pictures to the forum, just creating links. I did mine on AOL, but most hosts support uploading of pictures and creating a web page.

Once you create your picture page, you just go to it, right click on the picture you want, go to properties and copy the image location from the properties box.

Look on the tool bar at the top and you will see the IMG button. Using that, and the location of your picture you can import the images.

Let me know if I can help.

Jim
JimVonBaden

re:

Postby Banshee » Tue May 04, 2004 10:50 pm

Very nice Shane! I'm glad your bike wasn't stolen. That would SUCK! I have thought about that...I think when I get a hotel I will get one on the bottom floor w/outside access so I can pull my bike in my room....I'm not joking.

;)

-holley
Banshee
Board Wizard

Re: re:

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue May 04, 2004 10:52 pm

Banshee wrote:Very nice Shane! I'm glad your bike wasn't stolen. That would SUCK! I have thought about that...I think when I get a hotel I will get one on the bottom floor w/outside access so I can pull my bike in my room....I'm not joking.

;)

-holley

Funny you say that! I actually did it once.

Jim 8)
JimVonBaden

Postby MrE » Wed May 05, 2004 10:01 am

Shane,
Hope you don't mind. I edited your post and turned your links into pics. Basically, all I did was highlight the URL you had entered and then clicked the Img button. That inserts the image tags around the URL.

I also removed the 2nd post where you successfully inserted the pic since is was inserted above.

Hope you don't mind. I don't normally monkey around with posts and didn't change any of your text, but thought that this was a good change.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby hollywood » Wed May 05, 2004 10:59 am

Mike, I hope Shane does not mind, but I like the change, it flows well. And again, great trip report, Shane! I am still envious!
hollywood

Postby hollywood » Wed May 05, 2004 11:00 am

JVonBaden wrote:
Banshee wrote:Very nice Shane! I'm glad your bike wasn't stolen. That would SUCK! I have thought about that...I think when I get a hotel I will get one on the bottom floor w/outside access so I can pull my bike in my room....I'm not joking.

;)

-holley

Funny you say that! I actually did it once.

Jim 8)

I guess I would need to get a room with wide doors for the beast :D
hollywood

Postby shaner1150r » Wed May 05, 2004 3:49 pm

Mike, I don't mind! That's what it should have looked like the first time.

Holley, I thought about doing that but they only had smoking rooms on the second floor. You think I would care more about my $10,000 bike, then being able to smoke in the room. Damn cigaretts!

shane
shaner1150r

Postby Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 2:37 pm

;)

-holley

At some of the places I've stayed at over the years of riding, the propriter has actually offered the use of a garage, osr suggested a room with a view of the bike in some hidden corner, those have generally been the out of the way cheapy motels, but then those are my favorite kind!

Nice report, the Smokys are awsome, and so is the BRP, but not if you're in a hurry.

RM

Postby Qijote » Tue May 11, 2004 7:41 pm

If you are interested in this area for riding, there's a new Mad Maps covering the Smoky Mts and Southern Appalachia with about 20 rides mapped out.
Check it out at
http://www.madmaps.com/abou_pres_smok.html
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

re:

Postby Banshee » Tue May 11, 2004 8:40 pm

Shane you smoke?

I don't condone that. Not one bit....drinking either.
Banshee
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories