Morning Ride to work

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Morning Ride to work

Postby MrE » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:31 pm

This morning on my way to work, I got into a race. Didn't mean to, but it just happened. I was tooling along this great little country lane, winding past horse farms and new subdivisions, breathing in the cool spring air, watching horses romp in the morning mist and cows chewing their cud from the morning feeding. The road isn't in great shape due to the winter and there are lots of bad potholes and broken asphalt, so I was riding at an easy pace. Just a nice relaxing ride before work.

I saw him, in my rearview mirror, come up from behind and cross to my
left. He swooped up along side of me and then eased off a bit so we
where running about the same speed (35 mph or so) just 6 feet apart. I
should have backed off but didn't. What the hell was he thinking?

We stayed this way for a short time (seemed much longer, but was
probably only 5 seconds). We both slowed a bit, as he peeled off to the
left gradually, still staying even with me.

He then pulled his nose up, flaired his wings and glided to a perfect
landing among about a hundred of his Canada Geese brethren, grazing in
the grass and mist along side a small creek.

Man I love riding a motorcycle.
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

re:

Postby Banshee » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:15 pm

that's awesome :)

What a day huh! Everyone at work today was all giddy, not only is it a Friday but the weather is unbelievable.

Great day!

:twisted:
Banshee
Board Wizard

Diff a day makes

Postby hollywood » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:49 pm

What a difference a day makes! I had to pop up to Trans-Am BMW where I bought my bike (about 120 miles from my house) so they could replace my radio antenna Saturday morning. Well, it was poring down rain from the minute I left (0730) until I was almost home around 2PM. My bike was filthy to say the least! :(

http://bardasian.com/BMW/picspage2.html

I did not see anyone else out there, but I did stop in to the HD shop in Gettysburg to pick up some S100 cleaner for when I got home. Well, all but 1 of those wimpy HD riders were in there cars going to the shop. Other than my bike, there was only one bike (HD) in the bike only parking. Everyone was in cars, wimps! :shock:

So, I got home and the sun came out and I cleaned my baby! Just as I was wiping off the last section, it looked like the world was coming to an end, so no riding in good weather for me. However, today my wife wanted to go to Gettysburg (she is a Boyds Bear freak and they have the main shop) and I thought I would go back to get more S100 cleaner from the HD shop. Side note, why is it the HD shops are open 7-days, but BMW shops are not? Because, they are out riding. :roll: :P

Anyway, today which was awesome, the HD shop parking lot was all bikes. :wink:

So, after Saturday, I was happy to get out this afternoon and go for a nice ride. it was great!!!
hollywood

Windy Windy Windy

Postby hollywood » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:50 am

Who said windy? OK folks, be safe out there today! This mornings ride into work was more like an obstacle course in a wind tunnel. I left Mount Airy around 0600 this morning heading to Columbia (Panera Bread) for my Cinnamon Crunch bagel and coffee before work. Well, since it was chilly this morning, I thought I would just pop straight to Columbia down I-70. This lasted about 2 exits until I got off onto route 144 since the wind and more importantly the gusts of wind were VERY strong.

Ahhhh off the interstate and away from those mean nasty semi trucks blowing me around like I was a play toy in the mouth of a wild bear! Much better now that I am going slower and have trees and houses to block some of the wind. However, being trash day it posed new concerns for the morning rider. I literally was going down to second gear as I peaked hills so I could prepare for the trash can and or trash in the road ahead of me. 144 this morning was like a slalom course dogging and weaving between the cans and debris!

So, although I knew it was going to be a tad windy today, I knew I would see that sun this afternoon and just simply want to be riding. On that note, just be safe out there and don’t ride beyond your capabilities, the wind is a serious enemy of the motorcyclist!! Now would be a good time to thank my instructors from years back (Maryland Motorcycle Safety Program - Frederick) for teaching me well and properly preparing me for all the elements.

Thanks guys!!! Keep up the good work!!!
hollywood

Postby MrE » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:31 pm

Yeah, ask former president Bob King about wind on the interstates. He flew to Florida to pick up his new side car rig, hit a storm in NC/SC and was blown off the road and totalled it... Had to get his arm pinned back together.

I hate riding in the wind, but alas, sometimes you just have to do it.

Ride safe, Ride often.
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:22 pm

Mike:
I loved your story about the Canadian goose! I saw in Americas Funniest Videos a similar case. A family driving slow in a car on some back country roads in PA all of a sudden notices a goose flying right beside the driver's window. A passenger grabbed the video camera a filmed the bird for at least a minute. They got to the end of the road, made a U turn, and so did the bird, following them yet again!
Roy

Return to Ride Stories