Blue Ridge Leaf Peeping

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Blue Ridge Leaf Peeping

Postby RocketMan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Took a nice ride out the Skyline on the DL650. Got in a little over 200 miles and did the center section of Skyline. Weather was great for riding, starting out around mid-low 60's when I left home, mostly sunny but some cloud cover here and there. Stayed nice a toasty though running just the heated jacket liner as I climbed up 33 to Skyline where the temps dropped to low 50's.
Tried out a new tracking/GPS software on my android phone called Gaia GPS. Works real nice and records more data than the one I was using on my old Iphone plus it allows me to download maps for offline use and creates a link to share the route. It also allows for pictures to be uploaded with the track and since the camera I was using has GPS data recording, the Gaia site was able to read the data and displays the location of the image on the map route. neat. here's the link https://cloud.gaiagps.com/public/8l5PNt ... I4Rbs1sdKE

The DL sure is a nice road bike, smooth, stable and comfortable. Really enjoying this new machine.

The colors are really starting to pop here and there, brilliant Reds, Yellows and Oranges, which really stand out against the still mostly green foliage another week or two and they should be at their peak.

the pic's

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Blue Ridge Leaf Peeping

Postby HMF » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:40 pm

Looks like a nice day ride. I'd like to do something similar this weekend, but fear getting stuck in a line of automobiles doing the same. What was the traffic like?
HMF

Postby BKling » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:41 pm

I was up there Sunday. The overlooks were packed but the traffic wasn't terrible.
I entered at Rt 211 and exited at Front Royal.
Bryant

In Case of Emergency - OPEN HEAD - USE BRAIN
BKling
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 pm

RM,

My leaf-peeping last weekend took place in the mountains between Cumberland and Frostburg. The views were great, and my vehicle handled like it was on rails. Actually, it was on rails--the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, with a Baldwin 2-8-0 steam locomotive! Great colors up there.

I'm glad to hear that the V-Strom is living up to your high expectations.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories