Thoughts on Thumpers, Barn Finds and Bee Stings

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Thoughts on Thumpers, Barn Finds and Bee Stings

Postby RocketMan » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Thoughts on “what qualifies as a Thumper”
Over the past week as I have been riding my new CB125 I have been debating with myself if a small displacement single can really qualify as a “thumper”. I have always thought of thumpers as larger displacement machines but after some 400-500 miles on this little guy I have decided he definitely qualifies. While not as pronounced as most others I have ridden in this class, the feel of the motor really does give the same sensation of a single cylinder machine thumping along. You really do know you're astride a single piston motor as you ride, esp. as you approach top end in any gear, which is pretty much the only way to ride this and get anywhere near the power band. Thus it seemed appropriate to name him Thumper, and yes he is definitely a male motorcycle ( don't ask me how I know, I just do).

The essence of motorcycling embodied in a 125cc 12 HP machine.

This past weekend I have taken Thumper on two long(er) rides now that I have everything pretty well sort out, timing, carb, chain adjusted and lubed, fresh oil and cleaned up most corrosion on the the engine, which has a pretty decent shine now. Yesterday not only did I finally decide this is most assuredly a thumper, but it also embodies what I have always considered to be the quintessential essence of motorcycling, Or put another way, motorcycling in its “purest” no frills form. Riding it reminds me about what I have often said as relates to those who rode in the early days, we owe them our graduate for persevering in the face of all the adversities they faced and overcame for the shear joy of riding two wheels face to the wind. I now feel closer to them and this little minimalist machine has given me a new appreciation for what is must have been like in the early days, when machines made (in many cases) even less HP than my 125. When speed wasn't the important thing ( although speed is somewhat retaliative and 40 back then would have seemed like flying, given the roads they rode on) it was about just being astride a very basic machine with a motor just barely able to move you down the road, no room for any “extras” or conveniences; just a motor, wheels and a frame to hold it all together (hopefully!). You really are “out there” on something like this. There is a certain challenge in riding something with minimal power, each approaching hill or incline has to be planned for; you're lucky if you can maintain 50 up any real incline, so you down-shift and accept 45 and before you know it, its down hill again and you're back in top gear buzzing along at 50+ once more. And you know, 45 is just as much fun as 50 or 55 on the flats, on a machine this size, plus you don't have decel for the upcoming corner, you just keep the power on and proceed on though! How kool is that!

Saturday I rode him down to Mortons and got a lot of on lookers coming up and asking questions and had some good conversations with a few others I met that are also into small displacement machines.
The ride was nice, the first longer ride on thumper and it really didn't take much longer than on any other ride on one of my larger machines. Just a straight shot down Rt. 1, humming along between 45 and 55, taking about an hour both ways.Once again it has shown just how capable a machine this is, stable and amazingly comfortable for what it is. It was also nice not to have anything between me and wind and be able to enjoy the full on "wind in my face" experience, esp on such a warm day.

Barn Finds and Bee Stings
Today I took him out for an even longer run down Arden road to some back roads leading to Elk Run Road and then across 28 to Old Dumfries and Old Auborn toward Warrenton. As I got close to RT. 28 I had to go on reserve but figured I'd be good until I got the remaining 15 or so miles to town. I based this on having taken the petcock off last week to flush out the tank, change the fuel filter and gaskets and judging by the length of the stem I assumed I had about a half gallon left. At 70-80 miles to the gallon I Thought I could make, well not so much as it turned out. About 6 miles shy of town the motor quit and I rolled to stop just at the entrance to a large working farm. Well now... After sitting for a few minutes I decided to walk down the farm road and ask about getting some gas, figuring it being a working farm and people generally don't generally drive their tractors to the gas station they would have some gas on hand and might be willing to spare a bit for a stranded motorist. Just as I started walking down the road, the owner, in an older Volvo turned into the the drive and pulled over. I told him the situation and he said no problem and would be right back. Sure enough a few minutes later he returns with a gallon of gas and I fill the tank, give it a kick and Thumper fired right up. He seemed interested in the CB asked about the bike and the year. He then informed me he also had a CB125, a 71 he thought so we got to talking vintage bikes and such. He's looked to be about the same age as myself and had been riding since around the same time as I started. Then he asks about parts for these as his 125 had a bad float and the last time he had looked around for a carb the only one he found the owner wanted $200, more than what he had paid for the bike. I told him had found lots of parts on line but he didn't have Internet or bother with computers and such. Then he started asking about parts for a CB350. Seems he had one of those as well. Then he told me about his BSA 500 single! So at that point I asked him just how many bikes he had. He thought for a bit then said “5, I think”! Seems he had quite a collection.
Calling Big Dave On top of that he also has a 12 cylinder Jag, one he said he had been told was fairly rare; a 2 seater with a two part removable hard top that he was trying to sell for a friend.
So finally it was time for me to head on so we traded phone numbers as I told him I knew a few folks who might be interested in one or more of his machines since he seemed interested in perhaps parting with some but just hadn't made a big effort. So I'll be heading back sometime to take some pictures and then post up the particulars once I have more info.
Very kool, I have heard so many stories about folks finding barn queens and always wished I would be so lucky, but to find multiple barn queens in a single location, Wow, just Wow!

A little while later I got into Warrenton, got gas and headed home. That's when I had my Bee encounter when one flew into my jacket sleeve and stung me several times before I managed to crush it and remove the carcass from under my tee shirt.
So now I also have determined that along with everything else a vintage 125 can indeed be an adventure machine!
Over the past two days I've logged almost 200 miles on two longish rides and am throughly enamored with small displacement machines!

And now for some pics of Thumper since I got her cleaned up, looking pretty darn good I must say!

RM
Thumper-Rider
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Thoughts on Thumpers, Barn Finds and Bee Stings

Postby Maria V » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:15 am

Nice story - not running out of gas or the stings, but the part in between. :wink:
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby RocketMan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Maria V wrote:Nice story - not running out of gas or the stings, but the part in between. :wink:

Actually running out of gas where I did was very advantageous, I would never have met Will otherwise and learned about all his bikes.

Bee sting, yeah, that sucks!

Got a BIG box chock full of parts from the previous owner for both the CB and SL and I'm probably going to start a rebuild/restore thread on adv, got lots of nice comments on the post in the day rides area of this same post. These bikes really attract a lot of attention, I've had more folks come up and look or roll down their windows at lights and ask about it, tin just the first three weeks of riding it than any other machine I have owned.

Funny too how many folks leave me lots of room when coming up behind me when stopped at intersections. Then after we take off the next stop not so much, guess they are surprised that I can actually stay up with traffic unlike a scooter and most other MC riders waive also unlike with scooter riders. :lol: I guess it really IS a motorcycle even as small as it is.

Can't wait to get the SL!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:56 pm

RM,

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the new addition. I'd always thought of a "thumper" as a large displacement, single cylinder bike like a British 500cc. But having read your thoughts on the subject, I have to agree: your "Thumper" sounds like it fully qualifies.

That was quite a coincidence, running out of gas and stopping right next to a farm owned by someone else with a 125! Back in my Yamaha 100, Yamaha 180, and Porsche 356B days, I used to pride myself on noticing when the vehicle started running just a little lean and being able to switch to the reserve on the fly and before the engine quit. Talk about a "lost art." It's right up there with being able to adjust points and carburetors!

Or, for that matter, planning ahead for hills by gaining speed, being ready to shift down, etc. I'd also forgotten all about those techniques, which I used constantly back in my Yamaha and MG Midget days.

All in all, a good trip down memory lane. Now if I could just find a good clean Yamaha 250 twin from the early 1960s… That was what I always aspired to and could never afford back then!

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks for stirring a lot of dormant memories, Jeff. For a long while, 125cc was the threshold of Big-Enough-to-Ride.

--John
(Run 'em as hard as they'll go! Image )
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Return to Ride Stories