Northeast Iron Butt Swing

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Northeast Iron Butt Swing

Postby PhilAger » Tue May 21, 2013 11:28 am

We're just back from a week's worth of "ADV" riding across New England. :rider:

We enjoyed a nice luncheon visit with Karen's Aunt Dorothy in Quincy, MA [a record-breaking 86F in the crawling afternoon traffic]. #-o
We did, however, get the cancellation stamp for the Adam's Family story in downtown Quincy, a Fascinating History Lesson. =D>

The next surprise was our stop in Acadia Park for the Official Cancellation Stamp, but they were closed due to Government mismanagement -- to open 2 days later on the 19th! #-o

We also got various state Welcome Signs and some International Cities along the way, as well as cancellation documentation IAW the Iron Butt's National Parks' Tour guidelines. :wink:

We both enjoyed the Ride to the Top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire! There are other ways to get to the top
including the Cog Railroad and by hiking the trails as many visitors to the top had done!
A sampling of pictures from Saturday's Ride:
:P

Karen climbing past some remaining snowbanks. About 1 mile of unpaved roadway (easily ridden WHEN DRY)! :shock:

Karen made friends with Allison (while waiting for her hubby who was off taking pictures of icicles)...

There were many icicle crystals attached to the sign posts and buildings at the top...

Mt Washington isn't as high as Pike's Peak, but it apparently gets some wicked Canadian Winds...

View from Mt Washington visitors' center as we descended to our bikes on the left.

We're also finding enough time to enjoy the scenery and history of this wonderful country... =D>
Photo taken in the parking lot of the Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Park near Woodstock VT.

We picked a wonderful Inn from the selections in our GPS once we got a picture of Springfield's Post Office. :mrgreen:
A picture of me on Sunday morning at the Hartness House Inn where we found Absolutely Fabulous accommodations!

Did you know that Springfield Vermont is the Official hometown for "The Simpsons" TV show? :beer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8_Sq0lAbIs

A few more pictures from May 18th (mostly) in this PhotoBucket album: :bump: :banana: :bump:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/philager/library/New_Hampshire-Vermont_May2013

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
View at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Last edited by PhilAger on Tue May 21, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilAger

Re: Northeast Iron Butt Swing

Postby ChaseH » Tue May 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Wow, you were down the block from my folks near Woodstock. Near the Quechee gorge.

How long does it take to ascend Mt Washington?
09 R1200 GS
14 S1000RR HP4

Scuba Travel & Motorcycle photos
http://chaseh.smugmug.com/
ChaseH
Where GS = Gone Skidding

Postby ERC Scott » Tue May 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Your first photo is very reminiscent of some pass roads in Norway mountains. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby PhilAger » Tue May 21, 2013 8:15 pm

ChaseH wrote:Wow, you were down the block from my folks near Woodstock. Near the Quechee gorge.

How long does it take to ascend Mt Washington?

Depends on traffic, Chase. Speed limit is 25mph and the ride to the summit is ~7 miles of scenic roadway (maybe 18-20 minutes?)
The sticker says 13% of the Hwy is unpaved (.9 mi).

We, however, had to follow a NPS van hauling touristas who apparently didn't want to drive themselves to the top; it was frustratingly
slow at times. #-o

I stopped to take photos along the way, so I spent some time playing catch-up. I chatted with two other bikers at the top, and they
greatly enjoyed their ride up!

We went over the Quechee Gorge on our ride (without knowing or stopping for what we observed because we were, as usual, in a hurry).
From Acadia, we took Rt 2 west to I-91 S and I-89 N before taking US-4 to the Marsh-Billings National Historic Site. The roads weren’t
crowded at this time of year. It's still spring up there with lots of tulips, lilacs, forsythia, and dandelions as well as all shades of green
leafing deciduous trees! We also lucked out with mostly dry weather (except for a hasty ride down a crowded I-87 thru NY on a busy
Sunday afternoon from Saratoga National Park in an attempt to get to the Delaware Water Gap NP before it closed [we were frustrated
in the end; although Dingman Falls in PA was an exceptional find -- a 'la Watkins Glen State Park]).
=D>

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
View at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
PhilAger

Postby sati8d » Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm

Awesome pix!! I did that last summer late. Your trips everywhere are so fun. I'm glad to see you really enjoying your retirement and burning up tires!

I have family in Springfield and Danbury, VT, then dear friends in Gorham, NH, then on the way home I visited the Sis-and brother in law near Concord. It made for a nice 4 day ride.
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby Rick F. » Fri May 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Phil & Karen,

Sounds like a great trip--thanks for posting the photos!

I got the "John Adams Tour" in Quincy last summer, and as you noted it's great. Practically dripping with history at every turn.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 pm

Fantastic pictures, Phil and Karen! Your trips are a blast. Missed you at the Spring Fling, though. =D>

And as for you, Rick Foster, where are all those travel reports due since you retired????

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 pm

Flash! wrote:Fantastic pictures, Phil and Karen! Your trips are a blast. Missed you at the Spring Fling, though. =D>

And as for you, Rick Foster, where are all those travel reports due since you retired????

Jody

Jody,

O ye of little faith!

Actually, the trip report that I put up on April 23rd seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, with only 53 views and no comments (see The Asylum, the Poorhouse, & Other Tales of West Virginia.

And the one I added yesterday is off to a slow start, too (see Seek and Ye Shall Find (A BMW Tour of Lancaster County).

Hope you get a chance to read them! I'm off to Ohio before long for a 4-day tour, with any luck.

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 pm

Oh my! I'm so embarrassed! I missed the first one you mentioned altogether :emb:, and saw the second one last night before hitting the sack. Spent the day riding up in Maryland with friends, and plan a tour of the Upperville area horse farms tomorrow. But I'll get to them both this weekend sometime! Thanks, Rick.

I hope your trip to Ohio is enjoyable. I always love riding or driving through Southern Ohio--such beautiful country. I'll be interested in your tour, if it's a trip you plan to write up. Unfortunately, my thoughts of that part of the State are always colored by the realization there was (and maybe still is) a strong KKK influence there.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Flash! wrote:Oh my! I'm so embarrassed! I missed the first one you mentioned altogether :emb:, and saw the second one last night before hitting the sack. Spent the day riding up in Maryland with friends, and plan a tour of the Upperville area horse farms tomorrow. But I'll get to them both this weekend sometime! Thanks, Rick.

I hope your trip to Ohio is enjoyable. I always love riding or driving through Southern Ohio--such beautiful country. I'll be interested in your tour, if it's a trip you plan to write up. Unfortunately, my thoughts of that part of the State are always colored by the realization there was (and maybe still is) a strong KKK influence there.

Jody

Jody,

Not to worry--I'm sure you'll get caught up!

Your trip to Upperville sounds like fun. I'll definitely be writing up my Ohio tour once I'm back.

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories