In Pursuit of the Grey Ghost

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Re: In Pursuit of the Grey Ghost

Postby Flash! » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:56 am

Rick--The one we took was indeed the Fauquier Garden Tour in 2006! I can't believe it was so long ago.

My rather sad pictures can be seen at http://jgdouglas.smugmug.com/AroundHome ... 4_J83SPf/7.

On the 2nd page is Greengarden, the home in which Mosby's 2nd in command was hidden in a cubby. We saw some absolutely beautiful estates, and were lucky enough to have a gorgeous day in which to do it. You and your wife would really enjoy it.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:53 pm

bdimon wrote:
Rick F. wrote:Like Jody, I've never been to a reenactment, despite a life-long interest in the Civil War. The closest I've come is to fire the replica Colt 44 Navy revolver that I bought in Antietam several years ago. (It was a lot of fun, believe me!) With my newly retired status, it sounds like the time has come to watch a reenactment.
Rick

This July will be the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg. It might be the biggest reenactment ever. I saw the 125th and it was amazing.

http://www.gettysburgreenactment.com/

Thanks for another amazing story and photos.

Bruce,

Thanks for the Gettysburg link--that would be quite a sight. And I'm very glad that you enjoyed the Grey Ghost report.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Flash! wrote:Rick--The one we took was indeed the Fauquier Garden Tour in 2006! I can't believe it was so long ago.

My rather sad pictures can be seen at http://jgdouglas.smugmug.com/AroundHome ... 4_J83SPf/7.

On the 2nd page is Greengarden, the home in which Mosby's 2nd in command was hidden in a cubby. We saw some absolutely beautiful estates, and were lucky enough to have a gorgeous day in which to do it. You and your wife would really enjoy it.

Jody

Jody,

I enjoyed your pictures from the garden tour. It's great that you got to see inside Greengarden, including the famous hiding spot for Col. Richards! I'm envious. (Maybe downright jealous… :D )

I'll see if I can get Nancy and me signed up for the next tour as a surprise for her birthday.

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Blixa » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:06 pm

I grew up hearing a lot about Mosby's exploits - he was quite revered by my grandmother who counted as a relative a Confederate surgeon who was rumored to shoot Yankees to practice his operating skills :shock: My grandmother grew up in the south and would tell me about visiting the battle sites as a little girl, where she would often find war widows weeping decades later. Interestingly, she ended up marrying an Irish immigrant (my grandfather) who was a relative of Philip Sheridan. I bet the family fights were epic!

I hadn't really thought much of Mosby and his rangers since my grandmother passed on. I really enjoyed your write-up and photos and am both amazed that so many of his hair-raising endeavors (I recall many of which my grandmother and my father have told me about) occurred so close by, and ashamed that I haven't taken the opportunity to track down the related sites to appreciate them. To repeat what Unity said, it really is so easy to overlook the historical significance of one's surroundings - I mean hell, Robert E. Lee grew up across the street from where I buy dog food but I just walk by it and say "one of these days" but never actually get around to visiting his boyhood home. I have no excuse now!

I also was unaware of Mosby's post-Civil War history and his connection to Patton. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for the story and as always, I look forward to your next report.
Blixa
Frequent Poster

Postby Rick F. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Blixa wrote:I grew up hearing a lot about Mosby's exploits - he was quite revered by my grandmother who counted as a relative a Confederate surgeon who was rumored to shoot Yankees to practice his operating skills :shock: My grandmother grew up in the south and would tell me about visiting the battle sites as a little girl, where she would often find war widows weeping decades later. Interestingly, she ended up marrying an Irish immigrant (my grandfather) who was a relative of Philip Sheridan. I bet the family fights were epic!

I hadn't really thought much of Mosby and his rangers since my grandmother passed on. I really enjoyed your write-up and photos and am both amazed that so many of his hair-raising endeavors (I recall many of which my grandmother and my father have told me about) occurred so close by, and ashamed that I haven't taken the opportunity to track down the related sites to appreciate them. To repeat what Unity said, it really is so easy to overlook the historical significance of one's surroundings - I mean hell, Robert E. Lee grew up across the street from where I buy dog food but I just walk by it and say "one of these days" but never actually get around to visiting his boyhood home. I have no excuse now!

I also was unaware of Mosby's post-Civil War history and his connection to Patton. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for the story and as always, I look forward to your next report.

Blixa,

Scratch a Virginian, and you'll find Civil War history! In the report, I forgot to mention that the great-grandfather of the real estate agent at the Hathaway House rode with Mosby's Rangers--and she was very proud of that history. Several other people I encountered on the trip had similar stories to tell. On the other hand, the African American lady at the store at Rector's Crossroads had an understandably different point of view.

I definitely think you should visit Robert E. Lee's boyhood home. You might be able to find out if he also bought dogfood at the same store that you do! :wink:

Regarding the abundance of local history and how much we pay (or don't pay) attention to it, I've driven to Washington hundreds of times on business, but I've almost never taken any time for historical sightseeing there. One of these days!

Thanks for your nice comments about the report. :biggrin:

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Ride Stories