Recent Trip to Ireland (and England)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Recent Trip to Ireland (and England)

Postby PhilAger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 pm

For all who have spare time on their hands! :yikes2: I've put up five pages of "good" pictures of Ireland ( 145 -- we took over 1,400 pics )! :peepwall:

To make a long story short, Karen and Phil recently visited Ireland (and Wales & England). As with any extensive motorcycling adventure, it had it's share of ups & downs... :rider:

As we've also just returned from a ride to Tempe, Arizona for 'homecoming,' documenting our Celtic Rider getaway is an ongoing effort. We rented two F650GSs in Dublin on the day that their 'high-season" ended in order to save money for costly petrol [a single fill-up cost 31 Euros for 18 liters for both bikes]. So this posting is an invitation to go view a Big Photobucket album just on our visit to Ireland. I'll work on England next. We spent the first 10 days in Ireland and the rest touring England and Wales (where I have some relatives). After training Karen to ride on the continent in 2011, she got an introduction to riding on "the wrong side of the road" in 2012. She said it was pretty easy once the dealer led us through the burbs over to the motorway on Sunday, 16 Sept. Then we rode counterclockwise around Ireland, in the rain, for the next 9 days sightseeing some of the highlights of "the Emerald Isle."

Here's the link to the Irish Adventure Pictures:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/philager/Ireland/

And Here's the new link to many England & Wales Adventure Pics:
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/philager/Ireland%20Trip%20Moves%20to%20England%20and%20Wales/

Here we are in the showroom after deciding which bikes we'd ride. Karen declined the red G650 in the background because it was too hard to lift off its side-stand...

Here's Karen enjoying the narrow lanes along the "Sky Road" at the tip of the Connemara section of western Ireland.

Celtic Rider has been in business for about 5 years now, and they continue to learn and grow each year. They provided some bag liners for us to more easily tote our clothing; they hope to provide better documentation for self-guided riders in the future. Edelweiss and AMT do much better jobs in this area for their clientele... But the GPS Zumo had all the important information needed to see us across our tour of the ISLANDS...

Details on our chosen 8-day tour can be seen here, but each tour can be customized for every customer:
http://www.motorental.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=103&lang=en

Here we are in Worcester County England (on our way to Stratford-upon-Avon) when I decided to go find out if there was anything to see in North Piddle. There wasn't.

Here we are enjoying a Friday evening at The Ace Cafe in London. The chap who rides this ambulance bike was having his dinner when we chatted him up. Mr Young sent the pic with his iPhone. :mrgreen:

Hope you're all doing well with your own Riding Adventures, and that we'll see ya'll at the Holiday Party at P.J. Skidoos in January... :rayof:

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
RIP, 2003 K1200LT w/129,124 mi.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Last edited by PhilAger on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilAger

Re: Recent Trip to Ireland (and England)

Postby Blixa » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:51 pm

Beautiful photos! You stopped at a number of places I remember from a trip I took over there several years ago. I thought the roads and the scenery were astounding, and this was just in a rental car, so crossing the country must have been wonderful on bikes - though I bet zipping through the hedgerows would be even more terrifying :shock:
Both of you look like you really enjoyed the trip. Thanks for sharing and I'll check out the tour site 8)
Blixa
Frequent Poster

Postby ERC Scott » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:51 pm

Roads of that kind are my favorite style of riding. Even at the moderate pace they demand, one is fully sated at the end of 8 hours of saddle time, and looking forward to a couple pints or drams at day's end as a reward. Ireland, Isle of Mann, and Scotland are on my hope-to-tour list. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby jskene » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:16 pm

Very nice trip. Thanks for sharing.
jskene
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Phil & Karen,

Wow, what a great trip--and I've only scratched the surface of your photos!

It's impossible not to love roads and settings such as this one:

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby sati8d » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:00 am

Outstanding pix as usual from you guys! WE cycled Connebera and Galway...that's the two-wheeled contraption with alternative power - human.
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby PhilAger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Just so you'll have another look, I added a couple of pix and a new link to our large selection of England & Wales photos into my first post! :D

Sláinte! (Gaelic)
Phil & Karen
2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
RIP , 2003 K1200LT w/129,124 mi.
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
PhilAger

Return to Ride Stories