Banshee's Stories

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Take advantage

Postby hollywood » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:43 pm

Roy is right, both Thursday and Friday are supposed to be in the 50’s and rain on the weekend, so get out there and ride! I am riding to work tomorrow and may not go back after lunch. Who knows, maybe Friday will be a nice day to take off work for me as well. What the heck, if I get fired for not coming in, I will have plenty of time to ride :lol:

Enjoy your ride to So. PA, and hope you enjoy the new windshield. Hey, give me a yell if you want a riding partner to PA (I am thinking you are talking Gettysburg area?), maybe I can join you. My work number is 443-259-8109 and it won’t take much for me to be persuaded to leave work :wink:

Mobile number is 443-995-0629.
hollywood

Yeah!

Postby Banshee » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:18 pm

Getting fired for a sweet ride would be worth it!! At least for the first hour or so...then I'd wonder how I would make my payments and where I could hide my bike when they come to repossess it...I hear Canada is nice. ummmm ;)

I've been inspired to ride to work tomorrow too! Yippee!!

-holley
Banshee
Board Wizard

Ride home will be great!

Postby hollywood » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:54 am

Hope you got to ride to work today, it really was not bad this morning. However, the ride home will be great!

Yeah, I would have to find another job since I love both my bike...and my house 8)
hollywood

Ride to Work

Postby MrE » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:00 pm

It was a nice ride in this morning... 'cept I was a bit late and therefore hauling tail. Only have 4 BDC (brain dead cagers) try to kill me.

I am not paranoid... They really ARE out to get me.

Heard a funny quote over on the IBMWR list:
From Zodiac Neal Stephenson: "I ride like the first car to hit me gets a
million dollars and I'm wearing a fluoresecent jumpsuit."

Be safe out there kids.

(have you signed up for the track day yet? Would love to shee Phil's R1200 hauling it around the loop)
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Down she goes...

Postby hollywood » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:33 pm

First I must say I like that quote! As for Phil’s R1200 hauling around the loop, I think I can paint a clearer picture for you. Since I am going from a Suzuki sport cruiser to this BB (Blue Beast), I think it would be more like seeing Phil’s R1200 scraping metal in the turns.

With that last turn just too tight and leaning like I am on a GS forgetting I don’t have removable bags, down she goes! As the BB slides off the track in turn 4, there is good old Phil picking himself up off the roadway crying his eyes out saying…my baby…look at my baby.

Ouch, to painful to think about! I think it is safe to say I will be missing this year’s track day. Maybe next year when I have had some time with BB. I did take the Maryland Motorcycle Safety Course (1st in my class I must say) many years ago and had thought about taking it again as a refresher before doing the advanced class. I will say this touring bike is a way different feeling and I will need to take it easy until I am one with the machine! Although, I really love this bike!!!
hollywood

Re: Down she goes...

Postby MrE » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:56 pm

hollywood wrote:I did take the Maryland Motorcycle Safety Course (1st in my class I must say) many years ago and had thought about taking it again as a refresher before doing the advanced class. I will say this touring bike is a way different feeling and I will need to take it easy until I am one with the machine! Although, I really love this bike!!!

I know Don Grayling (safety@bmwbmw.org) is organizing an ERC (experienced rider course) for the club for both Maryland and Virginia. And I think Bob's BMW has ERC's almost every weekend or maybe its every month. Can't remember for sure...

I highly recommend the ERC and plan to take it again this year. If you have taking the beginners class and can get your bike down the road I recommend just taking the ERC. They cover all the riding part of the beginning class (at a higher level) without wasting time on "this is how you operate a clutch". Plus you ride your own bike so you really benefit from the practices.

Lastly, Anton (tech@bmwbmw.org) occasionally teaches the slow school. I am sure he would do it again after a meeting if we ask nicely. Doing 15 or 20 mins of slow riding practice amazingly increases your abilities... especially around parking lots. Plus it is a great way to kill time when your riding buddy is 20 mins late and you are sitting in the parking lot pissed off that you are being kept from your wonderful curvy roads, and now your day is going to be cut short because your wife needs you home at noon and you can't make it all the way around the route and if that SOB weren't so inconsiderate.... sorry, got off on a rant. :oops: No wonder I prefer riding along. :D

mikeout...
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Qijote » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:06 pm

Hollywood:
I'm sorry I didn't see your message until now (9 pm). I would have called you.
I did ride today. Took interstates mostly to Landisburg. Then rode PA 233 from Landisburg to Mont Alto. Awsome!
The short Parabellum windshield worked great. Took all the pressure of my chest. I didn't use to wear earplugs before, but now with the compressed air stream wizzing by helmet they are necessary.
Gave it a good try on I-83. Cars were doing 85-90!!
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

All good...

Postby hollywood » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:04 pm

Roy,

No problem, sounds like you had a great ride. I took off anyway around 11:30 and just rode back roads from Columbia through Laurel \ Silver Spring, then down Ten Oaks and 32 over to 144 and over to 94 (Olney) then many roads (I was lost) :oops: until I found myself in Damascus and took 27 back to Mt. Airy. :D

Today I took off around 11:30 and did 32 out to Westminster area and just had some great rides! Unfortunately I have family stuff all weekend and won’t be able to ride much at all, so I was happy to get out there the last few days.

Glad to hear the windshield worked out for you!

And Mike, thanks for the info, I will definitely be taking the ERC, but first want to get used to the R1200 a bit first. It would hurt me to take the class (since you use your own bike) and drop the bike because I am still getting used to the extra 300 pounds.

And I understand your rant, I generally ride alone or go out with folks on specific outings, like an upcoming ride to the HD plant in York for a tour (my brother-in-law has a custom HD). Anyway, I have a rule (which I advertise)…at the time specified if the person is not there, I make sure my cell phone is on and give them 15-20 minutes to get there or call. At 20 minutes the cell phone is off and my wheels are in motion.
:twisted:
hollywood

Postby Qijote » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:34 am

Phil:
Glad you enjoyed your rides. I'm envious... you got to go out two days in a row! That is a great riding area.
Today Saturday is looking good too. No rain yet...
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

re:

Postby Banshee » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:41 pm

yeah too bad the wind was/is blowing a gazillion mph today. yes a gazillion.

:x
Banshee
Board Wizard

Saturday Chores

Postby MrE » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:47 am

After knocking out the full page honey-do list on Saturday, I was thinking about taking a spin, but trees were falling all around. A big limb almost hit my wife's car a few miles from the house. I decided I would just stay around the house and catch up on a few more projects. I don't like the idea of having a 6" tree limb taking me off the GS.

I did spend some time last week catching up on the AMA superbike races from last year. This will be the first year that I have both SpeedTV (by way of DirectTV) and TIVO. Got to love technology. Matt Mladin is so freaking good, it is unbelievable. He regularly floats both front and rear tires going into and through a turn. I slip a rear tire on a gravel road and my butt sucks half the seat up.

The race at Mid-Ohio was phenomenal with Mladin and Kurtis Roberts grinding it out down to the last lap and then Robert's low-siding near the end. They were so far ahead, he got up, restarted the bike and finished 5th.

Can anyone say "zoom zoom"? I am a little pissed that VIR and RA Rally are the same weekend. Not sure which way I'll go yet.

mikeout...
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

zoom zoom

Postby Banshee » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:56 pm

Allright - I've been wanting to see a bike race on tv since... I don't know a while now. So there's racing on SpeedTV? That makes sense. I just had Joe check and we have it :) DirecTV rules.

That's actually my first clear memory of a motorcycle, watching races on the tele. Like Anton's picture with their knees so close to the ground. I was mesmerized by that as a little kid. It just didn't seem possible....Still doesn't. Ummm yeah I was never one of those girls that played with dolls - BORING! The boys get to play with Transformers and we get to change Betsy Wetsy's dirty diapers??? I think not! I don't want to get off on a rant or anything....hehe.

Thanks for clueing me in on SpeedTV!

OHHHH I almost forgot. I finally received my new boots today!! They're "Sidi Violet" women's boots. Nevermind that it took motorcycle-superstore.com three weeks to send them, I love them!

ok that's it,
holley
Banshee
Board Wizard

Re: zoom zoom

Postby MrE » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:49 pm

Banshee wrote:It just didn't seem possible....Still doesn't.

Sign up for the Track Day and you too can learn to drag your knees like Anton. http://www.bmwbmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=238

(Not really... but you will be able to corner better)

I am so bored with work... spending too much time here.
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Meeting folks

Postby hollywood » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:50 pm

I went to my first meeting, but did not meet everyone. So I am hoping to go to more ride to eats...

http://bardasian.com/BMW/my1stbmwbmwmtg.html

I rode up there with Roy and Bob leaving from Bob's place. I was hoping to meet more folks, but I needed to buy gloves and got side tracked with purchases. Hope to meet more of you as time goes on.

At any rate, I thought I recognized folks based on the postings. Meaning, were you (Holley) and Joe there today? I was sitting in the back row left side next to Don Graling and was thinking the couple in the corner by the coffee area was you guys :?: If so, sorry I missed meeting you both. I looked up and you were gone. I did meet some nice folks and look forward to meeting more as time goes on.
hollywood

re:

Postby Banshee » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:33 pm

Hey hollywood, no Joe and I weren't there. I wasn't feeling well so I couldn't make it.

We'll meet someday!

-holley
Banshee
Board Wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories