Banshee's Stories

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Winter Blues

Postby Banshee » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:55 pm

This sucks. How do you guys make it through the winter? :cry:

My brothers own snowmobiles. That's their way of dealing with Buffalo winters. I was talking to one of them the other day and he mentioned that his good friend is probably going to get a bike, a Harley. I told him he should get one too. He told me that at one time he did have his permit and took a bike out for a test drive. While he was on the ride, an 18-wheeler drove past him and knocked him around quite a bit. He was scared to death and could never ride again. My brother is 6'3", athletic, hunter, football player type, so this really blew my mind. I mean he has two Yamaha snowmobiles that he and his wife drive 90mph through the woods and fields of western NY. To me, that's crazier than riding a motorcycle down the road. I dunno ::shrugging shoulders::

God I'm bored. I hope the playoff games are exciting. I'm rooting for the Colts and Panthers. My dog is an Orioles fan.

-holley
Banshee
Board Wizard

PMS

Postby MrE » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:19 pm

Holley,
What you are now experiencing is called PMS: Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. As a new rider, this is your first experience with PMS. The bad news is that it only gets worse. I remember my first winter with a bike. HELL... PAIN... MENTAL INSTABILITY...

PMS leads to crankyness, hateful internet postings, and occasional trips to the window to stare longingly at your baby parked in the driveway under 6" of snow and ice. If you are lucky enough to have a garage, go out and sit on the bike and make vroom vroom noises. You can even put a fan blowing in your face to give it realism.

Well, back to spewing bile and hatred on other lists due to my own PMS.

From the frozen wastelands of the western suburbs,
mikeout...
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Qijote » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:36 pm

Holley:
The best way to deal with this type of PMS is reading a good book by the fireplace. Did you ever check out "The Perfect Vehicle"?
I know you'll enjoy it.
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

re:

Postby Banshee » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:11 pm

Mike - That is some funny sh*t!! Thanks for making me laugh today because this PMS is hitting me hard. Vroom vroom noises....damn that's funny. I'm glad I'm not suffering alone.

Roy- I'll look into the book, thanks :)
Banshee
Board Wizard

Postby MrE » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:20 pm

here are two good books:
Chasing Che by Patrick Symmes. This guy rides a GS around South America retracing the route Che Guevera took. Excellent book. Patrick came to one of the Square Route Rallys and gave a great presentation.

Mi Moto Fidel by ?. This guy rides his GS around Cuba and has sex with cuban women. Well, that's not the whole story but it is a pretty good book.

You can always read David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling too.

Well, back to the vroom vroom noises.
mikeout...
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Good Reads while PMSing

Postby SIGSTER » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:47 pm

Every winter in the doldrums of January to March I take the time to re-read David Hough's excellent books:

Proficient Motorcycling and More Proficient Motorcycling

Now is a good time to brush up on the mental skills required for the increased riding opportunities ahead. Then on the first nice day you can go out and practice some of what you reviewed. We all get a little rusty over the winter.

Also, if you go to the Iron Butt website, there are many links to great rallies and awesome riding events. Read the rider reports for some great adventure stories.
SIGSTER

Get in a winter ride!

Postby hollywood » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:25 am

OK, ya know how I address the winter blues? I take a southern vacation in January if I can! Going down to the Keys or a cruise to a Caribbean hot spot allows me to either trailer my bike or rent one there. Weeeeee it is feeling good to get your ride on when back home has snow!

As for the garage comment from Mike, let me let you all in on an embarrassing moment in my past. About 4-5 years ago with the Suzuki I had, I was doing just that (sitting on the bike revving it up). Dreaming of hitting the road as I looked into my snow covered driveway. Well, this was not good enough for idiot-boy, Phil, no I decided to start doing burnouts in the garage. :D

Well, it was fun the first 3 or 4 times, but that little extra push on the last burnout cost me $300.00 to get the signal lights replaced and scrapes out of the paint. See, my garage in only a 1-car and not that long. So, as I let out my last burnout, I found myself out of the garage and into the snow and ice where my so-called friends laughed their butts off at me. :oops:

Do you think I have learned from my past? No, I would do it again! Not the dropping part, the burnout part. However, my way to combat that is putting the bike in a U-Stor rather than my garage. :cry:

However, I don't see myself doing burnouts with my R 1200 CLC!
hollywood

Where was Banshee?

Postby MrE » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:46 pm

Where was Banshee this morning? We missed you. Met RoyLP. Saw a lot of familiar faces.

Thought of another riding book to pass the winter time... Obsessions Die Hard. It is the story of Ed Culbertson's trip through the Darien Gap on his R80 GS.

Come on sun and melt that damn ice...

mikeout...
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Well...

Postby Banshee » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:20 pm

Ummm I had real good intensions of making it Sunday morning but 11am just came way, way too early.

And this is why:

That's my husband doing a shot off an ice sculpture :D Many shots later we didn't get out of bed until about noon. What are the chances we can get one of these for the next Holiday Party???!!!

I did get some riding in this afternoon. Yippee for warmer weather! Thanks again for the reading ideas.

Hey hollywood -- How's it going this winter with the garage burnouts? Hope you're not embarrassing yourself again :P
Banshee
Board Wizard

Krauser Bags

Postby Maria V » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:06 am

HI Banshee - saw your note from July, where you mentioned the Krauser bags. I checked them out on the web, and am curious what you think of them. Did you install yourself, was it simple, etc etc etc. Did you get side and top cases?

Thanks for the info. As a side-bar, I attended my first meeting at Bob's (joined in December), met lots of nice folks, sorry you were not there.

Is spring here yet?
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

krauser bags

Postby lazy » Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:59 pm

maria,

Hello. I haven't exactly purchased the bags yet. The site that I plan on getting them from is http://www.twistedthrottle.com they have partnered with [www.riderhaus.com].

Check out the "black belt gang" message boards on www.f650.com there are some very informative threads on krauser bags as well as other accessories and topics. http://www.f650.com/Forums/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=14

from what I've read the krauser sideracks aren't too difficult to install.

-banshee (too lazy to log in)
lazy

F650 Bags

Postby Maria V » Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:19 pm

Hi Banshee:

Thanks for the info and the links. I realized that in my last note, I wrote "July" instead of "January" - if only it were that easy to get warm weather!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

No R1200CLC Burnouts

Postby hollywood » Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:34 pm

Hey hollywood -- How's it going this winter with the garage burnouts? Hope you're not embarrassing yourself again

Well my dear Banshee's, I have good non embarrassing news. The R1200CLC is a dog of a machine, so no hope in hell for that beast to do burnouts. :D Now, if I would have got the R1150RT instead, I may have had more embarrassing stories. No laughing friends this year 8)

Happy to hear you got some ride time in and happy to know you and hubby were able to get up at all after the ice sculpture shots :)

I did not make it either, we were out of town. See everyone next time.
hollywood

Re: Well...

Postby MrE » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:45 pm

Banshee wrote:Ummm I had real good intensions of making it Sunday morning but 11am just came way, way too early.

That's my husband doing a shot off an ice sculpture :D Many shots later we didn't get out of bed until about noon. What are the chances we can get one of these for the next Holiday Party???!!!

Ouch!!! My liver just doesn't work as well as it used to. The ice shots are just hurtful. I have the cocktail flu after only 5 or 6 beers over the course of an entire evening.

On the other hand, Linda would probably welcome all suggestions... well most suggestions.

I have been riding to work most days for the past week and a half. Thank God for Gerbing liners and my handlebar muffs. Did someone say 50 degs this week?
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Qijote » Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:27 pm

Yep, tomorrow it'll be in the low 50's. I'll take the afternoon off and go for a long ride in southern PA. I'll be trying out the small, tinted Parabellum windshield I bought for my Rockster. Looks really neat. The weekend is supposed to be rainy.
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Stories