So what's with this Iron Butt stuff anyways?

Tell Us About Your Rides!

So what's with this Iron Butt stuff anyways?

Postby rickrwh » Sun May 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I have always wondered if I could do these Iron Butt type rides, well last week I found out I could.

I rode from Stephens City, VA to Ridgecrest,CA in 2 and a half days.

Around 1100+ miles, the first day. I started out at 0430. It rained for a couple hours in Virginia until it got light. Pretty uneventful ride, just boring ass interstate that I've seen a hundred times from a car. I had planned to stop at Jack's BBQ in Nashville for lunch. Not happening. I rode by Jack's but it is smack dab in the middle of town and there is no parking near it. Oh well, let's ask Garmin to find me a restaraunt with BBQ in the name. It found me Carl's Perfect Pig in White Bluff, TN. Really good BBQ. Check it out but be sure you bring cash. Carl don't take them new fangled card thingies.

Then that afternoon, I hit nasty rain in Arkansas, just west of Memphis. Should have stopped as I slowed to 15 mph furously wiping my faceshield (Note to self: Rain-X) It looked like more nastiness was heading towards me from the South so I hauled ass. I stopped for the night around midnight in some roach motel in Oklahoma. Creepy caretaker lady and her cat got me checked in. Nice room. What do you expect for forty bucks? It had a bed. Got four hours sleep and started again. Was rolling down the interstate by 0500.

My only planned stop for the day was Rudy's BBQ in Amarillo. I used to live in San Anonio and they had the only two Rudy's in Texas. Now it seems they're all over the place down there. Anyways, really good Texas Pit BBQ if you get the chance try it.

Nothing real exciting all the way to Flagstaff. That's another 1000 miles and change.

The last 430 miles to Ridgecrest was no sweat. I awoke to 39 degrees. Ugh. It dropped as low as 27 before I came out of the mountains to Kingman where it warmed to mid 80's. I love Arizona. Did you know how light a fully loaded GSA gets at a buck 15 going over whoops on old 66? :shock: It's amazing the things you can do when you have the road to yourself. Rest of the ride was uneventful except for some hellacious desert wind. Got into Ridgecrest around noon on Friday the 4th.

Then I did a trackday school on Sunday with Lee Parks at Willow Springs on the Horsethief Mile. On my GSA. Super fun! Except now my pegs are beveled on both sides and I need a new set of knee pucks and boots. Oh well, Worth it.

A short video of one of the sessions:
http://youtu.be/011L9p6i8Ck

So I left CA around 0700 on Thursday. Rode through Death Valley, it was a disapointing 95 degrees. :(

Then I rode north to Tonopah and Rachel, Nevada. Area 51. Weird people. I dropped my bike near Tonopah at a rest area. What kind of state makes an entire parking area out of 4 inch deep pea gravel?! A-holes. I called it an early day and only rode just under 700 miles to Salina, Utah. Got a good night's sleep and blasted off for VA. I had to be back on Saturday so I knew I had to make a minimum of 1000 miles per day. So I did. I stopped the first night in Independence, MO just to the east of Kansas City around 0230. Oh, by the way, I found our winter! It's staying in the Rockies right now in Independence Pass. I got freaking snowed on for an hour and it was hovering around 32 degrees. I'm glad I survived it but that's the first time I've ever had to ride in any amount of snow and it was kinda sketchy there for a bit. After that, the rest of the ride was a breeze.

Pic of the snow I was headed into:

So I got my requisite 4 hours of sleep and got back on the horse. I blasted down the interstate towards home and arrived at 0300 this morning. The only drama to the ride was the many deer along I-68 in Western MD that made my butt pucker ever so slightly.

So to sum up, I guess I did 2 SS2000's or something like it. Total mileage for the trip was around 6000 miles. I did my 12,000 mile maintenance right before I left and the bike has 17,990 on the clock right now.

Anybody want to ride to Minneapolis for a beer? :lol:
Last edited by rickrwh on Sun May 13, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional instigator :D
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Re: So what's with this Iron Butt stuff anyways?

Postby ERC Scott » Sun May 13, 2012 8:40 pm

And I thought you were gonna fly out and rent a bike for the track :lol:

As for the pea gravel -- didn't I tell you how I dropped the Multistrada last year in a similar situation? Thank gawd for gorilla tape to patch the turn signal back to one piece. Glad your GSA held up better than the Duc. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby rickrwh » Sun May 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Fly out?! What's that? :lol:

I did get to ride Lee's bikes on Monday at the Supermoto track. Who knew you could have so much fun on a 150cc bike?

rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby sati8d » Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 pm

Damn that looked fun! I bet it sucked around 1am...
That's the way to do it! Love that red bike - hmmm looks awfully familiar! I know I love mine!
oh and btw - just went over 24k in 12 months! woohoo.
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby rickrwh » Tue May 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Riding through western MD between 0100-0300 was not my idea of fun. Lots of beady eyes on the sides of the interstate. On the other hand it certainly makes you keep your concentration up!
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby Rick F. » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Rick,

Great post! It sounds like you had quite an adventure, any single piece of which would have been a lot of fun.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby GSFun » Tue May 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Glad you had a safe trip! Amazing stamina!! It was neat getting up every morning and checking the Spot to see where you had made it to! Cool stuff!!
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby rickrwh » Wed May 30, 2012 5:31 pm

GSFun wrote:Amazing stamina!!

I'm telling my wife you said that! :lol:
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby GSFun » Wed May 30, 2012 7:18 pm

Careful now, she might hold you accountable!!!! :purdy:
Shannon Krammes
2011 G650GS
BMWBMW Membership Chair
membership@bmwbmw.org

-- Making BMWBMW a club of the members, by the members, for the members!!!
GSFun
Board Guru

Postby rickrwh » Thu May 31, 2012 4:12 pm

Touchè!
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby PhilAger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi Rick,

Just how did you know to look for Rudy's BBQ in Amarillo? I looked in Mapsource for BBQ restaurants, and Rudy's isn't mentioned... :? But there are at least a dozen other BBQ joints!
<Oooops> Even Rudy's doesn't know it has a restaurant there -- http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/locations [MY BAD!]
Nevermind -- I did not see the All link! http://www.rudysbbq.com/page/locations/all
We need Amarillo in the "I've Been Everywhere" Quest. Looks like we won't go hungry anywhere near there when we take another long ride later this year... :D

Congrats on your significant X-country ride! =D>

Ciao!
Phil & Karen

2010 F800GS,
2009 F650GS,
2009 Kawasaki KLX250S,
2008 Honda CRF230L, and
1975 R90S.
RIP, 2003 K1200LT w/129,124 mi.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
“…And pray that there’s intelligent life somewhere up in space,
‘Cause there’s bugger all down here on Earth.” – Eric Idle’s The Galaxy Song
Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Dm7sQ1C1E&feature=related
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
PhilAger

Postby rickrwh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:39 pm

I had driven through Amarillo a couple years ago and saw the sign from the freeway.

Garmin GPS doesn't know it's there either.
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby Unity » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:52 pm

PhilAger wrote:We need Amarillo in the "I've Been Everywhere" Quest. Looks like we won't go hungry anywhere near there

If you really fear going hungry, check out The Big Texan, where your steak dinner is free if you eat it all in an hour. The steak is a 72-oz sirloin.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Return to Ride Stories