Exploring Rt. 612

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Exploring Rt. 612

Postby RocketMan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:32 pm

A few weeks ago I tried on two consecutive days to ride down to the Singers Glen area and ride a new (for me) road that runs parallel to 613 thru Singers Glen. While 613 runs along a wide flatland farming area just to the east of the mountains, Rt 612 runs thru a narrow valley sitting between two mountain ranges the western one being the Shenandoah the other a small spur that petters out by the time you reach Rt. 33 at the southern end. Both days I got turned back by rain, the first day leading me back to Giffins Tavern near Little Washington for their outstanding fish and chips. By the time I finished lunch the day had settling into a good steady rain but it was still nice to get out for a longer ride. The next day I got turned around a bit before the Blue ridge mountains while I didn't get rained on (much anyway) I didn't get down to 612 either.

Finally on the following Sat. I did get down there and enjoyed riding a new (to me) road. After I got to 33 I headed east and rode back up along 613 with a stop in Singers Glen to shoot some of the homes and an old building dating back to the late 1800 Once under the ownership of T Fink & Sons

Definitely a more challenging road, narrower with a surface not in as good a shape as 613. Mostly chicken farms and small lumber yards and the house were in generally poorer condition than those along 613, guess its where all the poor relations of those along 613 lived. Still a nice ride and as I said a bit more of a challenging road.

So here are some pics of the ride along 612

For contrast, some views along 613

and old building dating back to the late 1800's once the home of the T. Fink & Sons business establishment.

I liked the way the fences criss-crossed the field leading up to the house. the house itself I found a bit much but what the hey....

I also found the perfect next car for Unity, its even for sale! No doubt we will be seeing him riding around proudly in it any day now. Mud? What Mud???

and finally, an interesting juxtaposition of old and new (siding, really, Oh please!)

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Exploring Rt. 612

Postby Unity » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:42 pm

Doors and windows are so evocative, universal metaphors for ... something.

This Chevy Nova has a hyperthyroid intake system. I don't think I could afford to keep it in gas.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Re: Exploring Rt. 612

Postby Ted » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:51 pm

From a ride last October, that building stopped me in my tracks as well...
Image TedV
Moto Pages
'94 K75RT
"There's No Old Road ... That Doesn't Have Something Interesting On It" -- RickF
BMWBMW MoTY - 1996
Ted
Board Guru

Return to Ride Stories