The luckiest guy in Florida Easter Sunday!

Tell Us About Your Rides!

The luckiest guy in Florida Easter Sunday!

Postby Adventurer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:45 am

Late afternoon Easter Sunday I was taking the long way south from the Tampa area back to Sanibel, absolutely beautiful day! I had worked my way down from Plant City to Hwy 62 then headed west towards 301. Hwy 62 is pretty much deserted of housing and is more about phosphate mining and the area is rural and quiet with long straight runs of road.

A little bit before the 301 turn, a crotch rocket goes by me....oh 110-120 m.p.h., as I was doing 80 and he just blew by. Shortly I get to 301, turn left and head south. Not 30 seconds later.................

April 2012 029.JPG
A swore he was dead.

UNBELIEVABLE!

April 2012 027.JPG
That's the rider standing over his bike. Witnesses said he went about 50 feet in the air over the car rolled and just got up!!! In this photo he had just gotten up, notice emergency vehicle had not arrived yet.

A couple who ride witnessed the whole thing. They said though he may have been speeding a bit, at this point they didn't think it was excessive for the area, as he was approaching a light controlled intersection. The driver of the vehicle (around 80 years of age) was not hurt, neither was his wife. They were exiting a church parking lot. The rider told me he saw them all the way and only at very last second did the elderly man decide to pull out.

April 2012 030.JPG
Yes to the obvious...full face helmet and armored jacket he had just taken off.

If the rider wasn't the luckiest guy in Florida Easter Sunday I don't know who was!!
Richard
'04 GS

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Re: The luckiest guy in Florida Easter Sunday!

Postby Chiba » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm

inappropriate speed + inattentive driver = that guy's lucky he's not dead
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Adventurer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:27 pm

A few more pic's of the earlier post.

April 2012 033.JPG

April 2012 034.JPG

April 2012 035.JPG
Richard
'04 GS

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby Unity » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Good for the rider that he was wearing a helmet. Florida has a lot of fatals involving helmetless riders (Jody's brother tells us the FL news).

Riding can be scary down there, and not just because of inattentive old-timers. In urban areas such as West Palm Beach and Tampa (our latest observations), everybody seems to be in a huge hurry and lane changes are often abrupt with no room for error. Sorta like commutes around here. :shock:

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Adventurer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Good as time as any to get educated. I examined the helmet and overall it SEEMED OK, but I'm sure it's toast. I guessing I'm answering my own question, it was a modular style (flip-up). When buying my helmet and doing my research, full face was the way to go, thus I settled for the Shoei RF 1100. At the time and even now there seems a push on modular (Shoei's newest NeoTec is an example $ 600 +). Having handled this guy's helmet I'm certainly glad I went full face, that helmet modular system folded like a cheap suit, I still can't believe his face was not ripped off.

Full face hands down?
Richard
'04 GS

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby redman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Yep, lived in St. Pete back in the day rode a RD400 Daytona. Twice I had to reach over and tap on the drivers window because they had me squeezed on the double yellow with no where to go changing lanes right into me. Each time the drivers were so startled, then super angry at me. All because they could not hear my Yoshimura super pipe, my horn or my yelling. They just dont see you.
redman
Board Guru

Return to Ride Stories