National Parks in the South

Tell Us About Your Rides!

National Parks in the South

Postby BMWGirl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm

I did a quick ride to the south last weekend. I left Thursday afternoon around 2pm and was home by 10:30am Sunday morning. Total of 2007 miles over the weekend.

here is a link to the pics and the captions are under the pictures.

National Parks

Every ride has a funny story - this one did not fail me either......

Here's my funny story of the trip.....First let me start by saying, if you ever have the chance to go to Savannah, GA, then GO - it's a pretty town!!

Okay - so I'm riding through town and it's a little warm - high 70's and I had to go through downtown Savannah - very tight streets, traffic and I'm warm - so I have my face shield open and I'm enjoying the breeze. As you leave town the speed limit increases just a little and so does the traffic; I come to a stop light and I'm behind this HUGE pickup truck. In order to keep with the traffic, I'm pretty tight with this guy as we round the corner and head out of town. All of a sudden, he hits his brakes - not hard but enough and I do too, not hard because all of a sudden I'm WET!!!! I mean I'm SOAKED!!!! as we turn, the road goes from 2lanes to 3 lanes of traffic (on my side) I'm on the far left side and for whatever reason there is a TON of water on the road!! The guy beside me, moves over and he's still in water (meaning the water is 2 1/2 lanes wide). I don't know if a water main broke or what because the water was ONLY on our side o f the road! I don't change lanes, because I'm not sure what is going on or how long the water has been there, so I don't know if the pavement below the water is slick with grime or not. So I figure my best bet is to hold on and try to just maintain the bike behind the truck. I could tell (at least I think) that he felt really bad because he had no reason to slow down except for the fact that he was throwing water ALL OVER ME behind him!! I'm telling you, I laughed so hard! I'm sure the people beside me, in front of me and behind me got a good laugh! It was so surprising. I licked my lips and realized that my face shield was still open and my face was soaked with road water - it was salty too. My pants were soaked (although water proof) I could feel the coldness of the water, my bike was covered with grime. OMG, I just couldn't help but to laugh. I still laugh about it today, Talk about Americas Funniest videos. :lol: 2 hours later, I came back through the same spot and noticed that there were white city trucks parked right where I rode through so I had to pull over and take a picture. There were a few guys on the side of the road (obviously owners of the city trucks) assessing the situation and I told one of them that I rode through that earlier and I HAD to get a picture. He kind of chuckled as I'm sure he could imagine the humor too! :mrgreen: So when you see the pictures of the water - take a chuckle with me and realize that a lot of traffic and time has gone by in those pics, the water was much higher and covering more of the road when I went through.

that's my silly story of the ride. I love adventures! Anytime something goes wrong, as long as it isn't anything damaging, I just laugh and think "Whoohoooo what an adventure I'm having today!!" :TheTina:
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Re: National Parks in the South

Postby Chiba » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 am

I've been to Savannah once too - really enjoyed it, neat city. Smells a little fishy in the summer :)
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby redman » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:27 am

Yep, another confirmation that you are a crazy lady. I mean that in a good way. How fun for you and Rocket. Love me some Savana, great food! So that was about 20 hrs just down and back?
How many hours Total Riding Time (TRT)?

Count me in for any local rides starting this weekend, just about over my knee surgery! :D
redman
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:50 am

redman wrote:Yep, another confirmation that you are a crazy lady. I mean that in a good way. How fun for you and Rocket. Love me some Savana, great food! So that was about 20 hrs just down and back?
How many hours Total Riding Time (TRT)?

Count me in for any local rides starting this weekend, just about over my knee surgery! :D

No I was gone for nearly 72 hours - but I posted a link to the places I visited - click on the "National Parks" and you'll see pics. I was on some beautiful back country roads and then interstates in the evenings. I had long days but that's because I stopped so much. I would like to go back to several places and spend a whole day there or at least a few more hours - the parks are so pretty and so well kept!
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Rick F. » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Tina,

Thanks for the pictures and the fun story. Somehow I don't think I would have been quite as amused as you were under the same circumstances!

But that's what makes you An Original!

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories