Southern Maryland's Old Churches, Homes, and … Racetracks?

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Southern Maryland's Old Churches, Homes, and … Racetracks?

Postby Rick F. » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:23 pm

My Z4 trips invariably lead me to beautiful old churches, homes, battlefields, rivers, lakes—you name it. But this tour of Southern Maryland had a major surprise waiting for me. One that brought back many treasured memories of a past that has guided my avocations ever since.

The planned part of my tour began near Galesville, in Anne Arundel County, in search of the Tulip Hill plantation mansion, considered to be one of the most beautiful and original pre-Revolutionary War homes in the entire country. I found the entrance without trouble, but the mansion itself was nowhere in sight.

A bit of creative lurking, however, and the slightest encroachment onto a wide front lawn, allowed me to catch a glimpse of the estate. It was built by Samuel Galloway in 1755-1756 in the Georgian style.

As it happens, Tulip Hill was sold recently. I don't know the sale price, but the owners were asking $2,375,000. For that, the fortunate new owner received all 7 bedrooms, all 6 1/2 bathrooms, the waterfront access and dock, and the full 54 acres of the estate. (Well-bought, I would have to say!) Here's a photo of the interior, from the real estate agent's website:

Now, I suppose I should mention that, in cases involving slight encroachments, it's not a bad idea to plan to a speedy retreat, just in case, don'tcha know… Yep, the door was open and the motor was running!

Southern Maryland is home to a seemingly infinite number of weathered old barns, every last one of them scenic.

At Galesville, I admired the seemingly infinite number of sailboats in the harbor…

…and also this Formula 16 racing catamaran (which I believe is a Bimare X-16). Having sailed Hobie Cats, Prindles, Tornadoes, and NACRA's from time to time, I enjoyed watched this fellow flying across the West River at speeds I estimated at 20 knots.

Thursday's Steak & Crabhouse looked inviting, and even featured motorcycle-only parking, but it was beginning to rain and I had a long way to go.

In town, I found the Carrie Weedon House, now the site for the Galesville Heritage Society. There I learned that the town was founded in 1652 and was home to one of the first Quaker meetings in Maryland.

I may have already mentioned the infinite number of picturesque barns in this area…

Christ Church, situated west of Galesville, is considered the finest example of a "Carpenter Gothic" church on the entire East Coast. It was built in 1867-1869 and paid for by Eleanor Hall McCaleb Burwell in memory of her two children. Its design came from a sketch by the famous church architect Richard Upjohn.

A few miles further south, the present Saint James Church dates from 1765, having replaced an earlier one from 1695. Even so, the oldest headstone in the cemetery is marked 1665 and marks the grave of Ann and Christopher Birckhead.

Inside Saint James, the 10 Commandments are shown on two wooden plaques above the altar. They were carved and given to the parish in 1723 and restored by the Smithsonian Institution in 1970.

I'd been to the Chesapeake Bay town of Deale, MD previously, by motorcycle. But I'd never noticed the local museum, which features a number of old buildings brought here from nearby sites. From left to right in this photo, we have a scenic and historic outhouse, St. Mark's Chapel, and the one-room Nutwell schoolhouse.

This peek through the window of a late-1800s residence at the museum shows the relatively primitive living conditions common at that time.

Of the many old churches I found on this trip, All Saints was my favorite. As its website proclaims, it's a church that is "older than most countries—including this one." Its predecessors dated from 1693 and 1707, but were apparently not built to last. The current brick church was built in 1774-1777 and stands 60 by 50 feet feet and 26 feet high.

The interior was beautiful, with its original box pews, clear glass windows, and impossibly narrow stairways to the balconies. The originality of the church was remarkable, right down to its smallest details.

All Saints' churchyard also featured this fun-looking "labyrinth," a recent addition in honor of the 4,000-year-old history of such spiritual paths.

What, another rustic barn? Just can't help myself.

Next up, I was looking for the grave of Dr. William Beanes, who had served as an army doctor during the Revolutionary War and later became a farmer as well. My only clue was that his burial site was covered by a flat gravestone and was in the middle of Upper Marlboro. Along the way, I discovered this modern but quite interesting multi-sided house:

After tracing and retracing my steps (well, tire tracks) and about to give up, from the corner of my eye I spotted what looked to be a small cemetery up on a hill. I parked behind the abandoned Marlboro High School and soon enough found the graves of Dr. Beanes and his wife Sarah (who was the niece of John Hanson, President of the first Continental Congress and—arguably—the first President of the United States).

During the War of 1812, Dr. Beanes, then 63, helped arrest British Army deserters who were plundering homes and farms in this area—only to be taken prisoner himself and held captive on a British ship in Baltimore Harbor. That might have been the end of the story—until one Frances Scott Key went to the ship to try to obtain Dr. Beanes' release. He, too, was detained onboard while the British bombarded Fort McHenry in Baltimore. As everyone knows, Key was inspired by the brave defense of the fort to write The Star Spangled Banner. Both men were released the next day following the British retreat.

This seemingly abandoned house sits between the vacant Marlboro High School and the Beanes' gravesite. It's too new to have been Dr. Beanes' residence, but it doesn't seem related to the school. Anyone have any ideas?

As I left Upper Marlboro, in pursuit of Duckett's Cabin, out of the corner of my eye I saw something that I just had to investigate. Surprisingly, the gate was wide open. I'd seen the gate open only once before in recent times. That adventure led to my scrambling up a steep dirt bank in an effort to escape two large (and unfriendly) dogs. If you ever think you can get away from a dog by climbing a steep bank, think again—they got to the top in half the time it took me. But that's another story, for another time.

This time, as I entered the hallowed grounds of my youth, I proceeded directly to the rundown house at the end of the former parking lot. A cheerful fellow with a pronounced foreign accent greeted me and immediately accepted my request to get a few pictures of the area. Here is the first. Any local folks know where we are yet? (My friends Phil and Lew certainly do…)

Walking around to the other side, I found this slightly eerie sight. It was so familiar, but so different, with trees and shrubs having grown up everywhere I looked. I remembered sitting in these stands with Phil, Lew, and their father, drinking my first-ever glass of iced tea. There used to be an announcer's booth on top, where I met Stirling Moss for the first time, in 1964.

In front of the grandstands, the pavement was in better shape than I might have guessed, with the 1/3-mile oval readily visible.

This is what the oval looked like back in about 1965, at the start of an international 12-hour FIA endurance race for sedans. The old-style "Le Mans" starts, with the drivers sprinting across the track to their cars, was one of the most exciting things I'd ever witnessed. (I got a summer job several years later with Chris Custer, who finished third overall in this race.)

Yes, I had found the ruins of the old Marlboro Speedway. It began life as a dirt oval in 1952 but was expanded to a 1.7-mile paved road course by the legendary Lavender Hill Mob in 1954. In its heyday, Marlboro hosted major racing series for the SCCA, NASCAR, FIA, and others, with some of the biggest names getting their start there, including Mark Donohue and Roger Penske. Back when no one had heard of him in the U.S., Jackie Stewart shared the winning factory Lotus Cortina (with Sir John Whitmore, if I remember correctly) in the 1964 Marlboro 12-hour. The following year, he was racing with Graham Hill on the BRM Formula 1 team.

This photo from 1962 shows an SCCA race (E Production), with an Alfa Romeo and MGA leaving the banking to enter the road course. If you left the oval a little more to the right in this picture, you would get airborne as a result of topping the banked corner. The faster cars, such as Hal Keck's 427 Cobra, would get airborne even on the outside of the banking. Very exciting for a 15-year-old spectator who was developing what would become a lifetime fascination with sports cars and racing. (Historic photos courtesy of the fascinating Binghamton Automobile Racing Club website

Here's the start of the road course, where the cars in the prior photo were heading, leading to the chicane. It's all still there.

Doctor Dick Thompson was the first person to have the opportunity to race the prototype Corvette Stingray, and Marlboro in 1960 was, I believe, its first appearance on a racetrack.

Murray Kellner's Jaguar XK-120 leads a Porsche 356 Speedster past the grandstand.

For most SCCA races, the cars would be gridded on the otherwise-unused fourth of the oval track. From there, they would do a standing start, race around the oval, and continue onto the road course. On the grid here are a Lotus 17 (#78) and a Lola Mk. I (#7). Even more interestingly, to me anyway, is the fellow standing behind the Lotus. It's Harry Reynolds, who was quite a good race driver and mechanic. He's also the person who built my SCCA Spec Racer (originally Sports Renault) for me at J & J Racing in 1985, which got me started in SCCA racing. The last I heard, Harry was racing a Lola Mk. I in vintage events.

It's hard not to fall in love with a Ferrari 250GT Short-Wheelbase Berlinetta, after seeing them race. This one was piloted by Charlie Hayes, who later went on to race on Carroll Shelby's factory Cobra team and in the original Can Am series, with the infamous Nickey Chevrolet sponsored McLaren Mk. II.

Did I mention that Mark Donohue and Roger Penske both got their starts in racing at Marlboro? This is Mark's Elva Courier leaving the banking. Roger was Mark's instructor at Marlboro when he attended his first SCCA drivers school.

On the main straight of the oval, we find Rick Mandelson's white Porsche Speedster gridded up front, and he went on to win this race. Lew and I used to call him, irreverently, "The Flying Nose." Well, in our defense, we were only 15 and 14, respectively… Back in those days, Rick Mandelson, Ron Grable, Tony Adamowicz, and my friend Phil all drove Porsche Speedsters and were all friends. They often auto-crossed together, usually with Phil coming out ahead.

Eventually, the track was deemed unsafe for the faster speeds enabled by wider tires and more horsepower, and it closed in 1969. (Go back and look at the track map: the long straight in the top of the diagram was separated from the shorter straight below by about 75 feet of grass… No guardrails, no tire walls, nothing. And the closing speed between cars racing in the opposite directions would have been 120 mph or more! Remarkably, there were zero fatalities in the history of Marlboro.)

With great reluctance, I left the scene of my introduction to the world of fast sports and formula racing cars and journeyed on to the Patuxtent River Park. There I found Duckett's Cabin without difficulty, although the park was closing, so it was too late to tour inside the cabin. Charles Duckett, a former slave, built this cabin in about 1880, after having served in the Union Army forces during the Civil War. It has one room downstairs and a loft upstairs. Note the pole leaning against the chimney. It's actually the other-way-round, such that, in the case of a chimney fire, you could run outdoors, yank the pole away, and the burning chimney would fall away from the cabin.

This house, while fairly plain, is quite an upgrade from the log cabin. It's a "Simplex Goldenrod" and was purchased in 1923 from the Sears, Roebuck Co. for about $400. These mail-order houses had three rooms; you could add a 4-foot-square outhouse for an extra $41—no doubt a wise investment.

The living room of a Goldenrod took up one-half of the entire floor space.

It's a wonder the bedroom had enough space for any furnishings at all.

Leaving the park, I apparently took a wrong turn. Although I crossed a number of streams on my R1200GS, I decided it was best not to try to cross the Patuxtant in the Z4.

I swear, you couldn't stop anywhere on this tour without finding interesting things. In this case, two of them at once.

First we have a statue in honor of Private Benjamin Owens. During the Battle of Stephenson's Depot on June 19, 1863, all of Owens' cannon crew were killed or wounded. He continued to load and fire the cannon on his own, helping in the process to defend a key railroad bridge and hold off the Union troops. He died in 1917 and was awarded the Confederate Medal of Honor in 1993. (There seems to be a lesson here about patience…)

The Mount Calvary Anglican Church was also quite a sight, with its catty-cornered bell tower.

And right across the road were—believe it or not—even more weathered farm buildings.

In researching the Harwood, MD area before my trip, I read about a number of stately mansions. I found Mary's Mount on the third try. (For some reason, it hadn't occurred to me that it might be on Mary's Mount Road…) I recognized its unusual twin fireplaces, but the current and prior owners have made many changes to the original house. The original part of the house was built in 1771 by Col. Richard Harwood. The additions began in the early 1800s when the second story was added. Over the years, I'd say there have been a few additions too many—but who am I to say?

Larkin's Hill Farm is owned by the sister of the current owner of Mary's Mount, but you can't see the house from the road. Thus, I continued on in search of Larkin's Hundred, one of the oldest (1704) and most original mansions in the state and a precursor to the Georgian style. I found the entrance to the property, and learned that the place was for sale. It was a long drive up to the top of the hill, however, and I didn't want to push my encroachment luck.

Further down the road, fortunately, I found a place where one could get a distant glimpse of Larkin's Hundred. I also found this older photo at the Library of Congress site. Other than the porch shown in the LoC photo (which was later removed), the house has never been altered.

As usual, my tour had lasted well into the evening, and the sun was threatening to set altogether. My original destination had been the historic town of Davidsonville, MD, and I finally managed to get there as the sun was going down. I got a quick look at the extraordinary All Hallows Chapel and cemetery. Construction started in 1860, was delayed by the Civil War, and was finished in 1865. One of the early rectors of the All Hallows Parish was author Mason Locke Weems. His 1800 biography The Life of [George] Washington includes the "cherry tree" story, which Parson Weems invented as an "entertaining and morally instructive tale."

I also had to stop for a look at the original Holy Family Catholic Church in Davidsonville.

This tour, at only about 160 miles, was one of my shorter ones. Various work pressures led to a much later start than usual (around noon), and I didn't get home until 8:30 or so. Regardless, I enjoyed every minute of it. Let's see: 7 historic churches, 8 old houses, but only 1 old racetrack. Hmmm … to even up those odds, I guess I'll have to track down the abandoned tracks at Cumberland, Dorsey, Beltsville, Monrovia, and Braddock Heights the next time I'm out!

Rick F.
Last edited by Rick F. on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: Southern Maryland's Old Churches, Homes, and … Racetrack

Postby Slider » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:04 am

Wow, one of your best postings!

The old marlboro race track pics brought back a lot of memories. I logged a lot of miles & smile there. The Chaz Hayes #7 was one of my favorites, as I knew & crewed for Charlie back in the day!

Thanks for the memories!
Slider
Board Guru

Postby Flash! » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:33 am

I agree with Slider, Rick--a wonderful report! =D> =D> I even got a new desktop picture (an old barn, of course) from it. I was also drawn to look up "catty-cornered", a word I've heard all my life, and found it's actually "cater-cornered". Being Hoosiers though, we of course called it "catty wampus".

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and a lovely "virtual" trip.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Unity » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Memories indeed, not of Marlboro but of SCCA racing in the late '50s-early '60s (at Midwestern road courses in my case). I wasn't aware that Marlboro was so instrumental in starting important racing careers!

--John
(I owned only one car of those featured in the historic pics, an XK120M Jaguar. A great runner, costly to maintain.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:17 pm

Slider wrote:Wow, one of your best postings!

The old marlboro race track pics brought back a lot of memories. I logged a lot of miles & smile there. The Chaz Hayes #7 was one of my favorites, as I knew & crewed for Charlie back in the day!

Thanks for the memories!

Slider,

Thanks, I really enjoyed writing up this trip--in significant part because of the Marlboro experience. I'm glad someone else around here is old enough to remember the place! I crewed at Marlboro for a fellow named Fred Alexander, who took up racing when he retired from work at age 65! I helped him with his Sunbeam Tiger, although in fairness I don't think I was much help.

Here's some further information about Marlboro that I posted in response to a question on the national Z4 club forum:

Rick F. wrote:
Marlboro was a very exciting place back in the 1960s, and I'm extremely pleased to have had the chance to witness a lot of it. Here's a photo by Tom Bigelow of the Stingray prototype in action, going around Cappy's Corner in a wild, power-induced oversteer. I guess 350 hp plus 7" wide, bias-ply tires made for some exciting cornering!

Bob Holbert in his E-Modified Porsche RSK and Frank Baptista in a G-Modified Lotus 11 are shown at the apex of the corner, incidentally. Roger Penske won the race in another RSK, with Holbert 2nd overall, and Thompson in the C-Modified Stingray third. The Hairpin is shown in the background.

By the way, this was the President's Cup SCCA National Race in 1960. At the first President's Cup races in 1954, the awards were presented by President Dwight D. Eisenhower! Other President's Cup winners over the years included Walt Hansgen (at Marlboro), and Jim Hall, Bobby Rahal, and a certain part-time actor named P.L. Newman (at other courses).

Thanks again,

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Flash! wrote:I agree with Slider, Rick--a wonderful report! =D> =D> I even got a new desktop picture (an old barn, of course) from it. I was also drawn to look up "catty-cornered", a word I've heard all my life, and found it's actually "cater-cornered". Being Hoosiers though, we of course called it "catty wampus".

Thanks for the beautiful pictures and a lovely "virtual" trip.

Jody

Jody,

And thank you, too! The old barns were just leaping out at me that day--I'm glad you're putting one of them to good use.

As for catty- versus cater-cornered, I think I've heard them both. And "catty wampus," too. Regardless of the proper terminology, it was a very distinctive church. Surprisingly, I couldn't find out anything about it on the web.

As for regional variations in language, do Hoosiers say "soft drink," "soda," or "pop"?? (We've had a long-running debate on this question at work, with the Ohio Contingent squaring off against the East Coast types.)

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Unity wrote:Memories indeed, not of Marlboro but of SCCA racing in the late '50s-early '60s (at Midwestern road courses in my case). I wasn't aware that Marlboro was so instrumental in starting important racing careers!

--John
(I owned only one car of those featured in the historic pics, an XK120M Jaguar. A great runner, costly to maintain.)

John,

Against all odds, the tiny, compact Marlboro Speedway really was part of the big time back then. Bob Tullius and Group 44 got their start there, long before they became the U.S. team for British Leyland. Marlboro hosted Trans Am races in the late 1960s, by which time Penske's Sunoco Camaro team was up and running, with Donohue at the wheel.

I'm impressed that you owned an XK-120M (along with all the various American sedans and hotrods you had). As best I can remember, the only British car I've ever owned was my first car: a 1964 MG Midget! Not really a suitable choice for someone my height, needless to say, but it was all I could afford back then. (I got it for $450 in 1969. As a 5-year-old used car with about 40,000 miles on it, it had already had 2 valve jobs, a transmission rebuild, and various other repairs. They don't build them like they used to!)

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Rick F. wrote:XK-120M (along with all the various American sedans and hotrods you had)

If pressed, I could probably recall the rapid succession of cars I had between ages 15 and 30. (It slowed some after that.)

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Unity wrote:
Rick F. wrote:XK-120M (along with all the various American sedans and hotrods you had)

If pressed, I could probably recall the rapid succession of cars I had between ages 15 and 30. (It slowed some after that.)

--John

John,

Well, I think you should start recalling! Here, I'll get you started with my own list (in order, and complete to the present--and note that I've included the bikes):

1966 Yamaha Twin-Jet 100
1967 Yamaha 180
1964 MG Midget
1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe
1973 Mazda RX-2
1963 Porsche 356B
1974 Alfa Romeo Spider 2000
1967 Corvette Stingray
1973 Datsun 240Z
1981 BMW 320i
1971 Datsun 510 (2-litre solo I car)
1978 Chevrolet Malibu station wagon (tow car for...)
1985 SCCA Sports Renault race car
1987 Porsche 944
1989 Toyota Supra
1980 VW Rabbit Diesel (a gift from my Dad when he moved to Iowa)
1996 Audi A4
2000 Audi A6 2.7t
2005 Acura TL
2003 BMW F650CS
2005 BMW R1200GS
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

I'm pretty sure that's it. I am ready to be well and truly humbled by your own list, sir!

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Rick F. wrote:I am ready to be well and truly humbled by your own list, sir!

By no means, Rick -- in fact, I'll happily trade you some of my old vehicles for some of yours! :mrgreen:

When I said "if pressed," I didn't really expect to be pressed. Remembering everything was hard, and I'm not sure yet that I got everything. A lot of these were cheap and in need of repair. Many of them got fixed and moved to the next owner in a matter of months. A few I kept for a long time, in one case, for 32 1/2 years! :D Some I kick myself for selling. :( Only 5 of the following images show the actual vehicle. The rest are ripped-off from Google Images.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

1949 Schwinn Whizzer. 1940 Oldsmobile Model 90 Club Coupe. 1949 Ford Club Coupe. 1952 MG TD Mk. II. 1953 Jaguar XK120M. 1954 Mercury hardtop. 1935 Chevrolet 3-window coupe. 1937 Ford 2 door. 1937 Packard coupe. 1957 Plymouth hardtop. 1956 Triumph TR3. 1960 Go Kart Big Bear Scrambler, 5 hp*. 1955 Harley-Davidson Hummer 165cc 2-stroke. 1960 Saab 93f 750cc 3-cyl 2-stroke. 1961 Honda Super Cub. 1958 Datsun 1000 (Japan)**. 1957 Showa 250cc 2-stroke (Japan). 1958 Yamaha YD1 125cc 2-stroke (Japan)***. 1964 Honda CL250 "Scrambler" (Japan; US). 1950 Chevrolet coupe (Japan). 1963 Saab 96 3-cyl 850cc 2-stroke. 1967 Saab 96 3-cyl 850cc 2-stroke. 1967 Ford Falcon Club Wagon (still in the family). 1975 Honda CL360. 1970 Mercury Montego (charity)****. 1975 Mercury Bobcat (charity). 1976 Ford Maverick (charity). 1979 Datsun B-210 hatchback (charity). 1983 VW GTI. 1967 Austin Mini-Cooper S. 1995 VW Passat. 1992 VW Corrado SLC. 1997 VW Eurovan Camper. 1999 Audi A4 Quattro. 2002 BMW R1150RT. 1998 BMW F650 Funduro. 1971 Triumph Bonneville. 2005 VW Passat wagon.
**** "Charity" pertains to hands-me-down from Jody's parents while we were in college, graduate school, and the first 2 jobs afterward.

--John
(Does this pictorial belong here? Yes! This is the "Ride Stories" forum, and this is part of the "story" of "my rides" over a period of 57 years. :lol: I might be forgetting one or two.)
Last edited by Unity on Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Unity » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Rick F. wrote:Image

I'm reminded of a science-fiction/fantasy author, Roger Zelazny, and his Chronicles of Amber series. He was a highly imaginative writer who didn't really know where the stories were going to go until the characters decided where to take him. One of the major magical elements in Amber was The Pattern, a rite-of-passage labyrinth of a mythological-supernatural sort, where to make a wrong step would be very bad. I don't imagine anything really bad would happen if one misstepped on the Maryland one. :)

--John
(I like stuff like that.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Unity wrote:
Rick F. wrote:I am ready to be well and truly humbled by your own list, sir!

By no means, Rick -- in fact, I'll happily trade you some of my old vehicles for some of yours! :mrgreen:

When I said "if pressed," I didn't really expect to be pressed. Remembering everything was hard, and I'm not sure yet that I got everything. A lot of these were cheap and in need of repair. Many of them got fixed and moved to the next owner in a matter of months. A few I kept for a long time, in one case, for 32 1/2 years! :D Some I kick myself for selling. :( Only 5 of the following images show the actual vehicle. The rest are ripped-off from Google Images.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

1949 Schwinn Whizzer. 1940 Oldsmobile Model 90 Club Coupe. 1949 Ford Club Coupe. 1952 MG TD Mk. II. 1953 Jaguar XK120M. 1954 Mercury hardtop. 1935 Chevrolet 3-window coupe. 1937 Ford 2 door. 1937 Packard coupe. 1957 Plymouth hardtop. 1956 Triumph TR3. 1960 Go Kart Big Bear Scrambler, 5 hp*. 1955 Harley-Davidson Hummer 165cc 2-stroke. 1960 Saab 93f 750cc 3-cyl 2-stroke. 1961 Honda Super Cub. 1958 Datsun 1000 (Japan)**. 1957 Showa 250cc 2-stroke (Japan). 1958 Yamaha YD1 125cc 2-stroke (Japan)***. 1964 Honda CL250 "Scrambler" (Japan; US). 1950 Chevrolet coupe (Japan). 1963 Saab 96 3-cyl 850cc 2-stroke. 1967 Saab 96 3-cyl 850cc 2-stroke. 1967 Ford Falcon Club Wagon (still in the family). 1975 Honda CL360. 1970 Mercury Montego (charity)****. 1975 Mercury Bobcat (charity). 1976 Ford Maverick (charity). 1979 Datsun B-210 hatchback (charity). 1983 VW GTI. 1967 Austin Mini-Cooper S. 1995 VW Passat. 1992 VW Corrado SLC. 1997 VW Eurovan Camper. 1999 Audi A4 Quattro. 2002 BMW R1150RT. 1998 BMW F650 Funduro. 1971 Triumph Bonneville. 2005 VW Passat wagon.
**** "Charity" pertains to hands-me-down from Jody's parents while we were in college, graduate school, and the first 2 jobs afterward.

--John
(Does this pictorial belong here? Yes! This is the "Ride Stories" forum, and this is part of the "story" of "my rides" over a period of 57 years. :lol: I might be forgetting one or two.)

John,

Wow, what a great collection over the years (cars and bikes)! I'm impressed. And two Saab 93's plus a 96?? Wow again. (During the summer I spent working for Saab racer Chris Custer at his Saab dealership in Frederick, I pulled and replaced a fair number of the 750cc and 850cc two-stroke engines. They just didn't seem to be up to the rigors of U.S. highways.)

Many thanks for reaching into the memory banks!

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Unity » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Rick F. wrote:During the summer I spent working for Saab racer Chris Custer at his Saab dealership in Frederick, I pulled and replaced a fair number of the 750cc and 850cc two-stroke engines. They just didn't seem to be up to the rigors of U.S. highways.)

Two engine replacements among three cars -- but I loved driving them, and engine replacements didn't cost all that much. I mean heck, a Saab 3-cyl 2-stroke engine only had 7 moving parts! :D

--John
(The cars were a '60 93, a '63 96, and a '67 96. The '67 had oil injection and triple carburetors!)
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:20 pm

John,

Those early Saabs had massive drum brakes --a good thing since the freewheeling feature meant zero engine braking going downhill! Very disconcerting until you got used to it.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 pm

magi111 wrote:Nice guide thank you!/ I love it! very creative! That's actually really cool Thanks.
Thank u so much...!

BMW Cars

Magi,

You're very welcome--I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report.

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories