Old and Older: The Eastern Shore of Maryland

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Old and Older: The Eastern Shore of Maryland

Postby Rick F. » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 pm

After a lengthy layoff due to work pressures, I finally got back on the road last weekend to seek out "scenic history" and the last of the Fall colors on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The itinerary wasn't much—go to Chestertown, go to Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge, go to Rock Hall, go back to Chestertown—but there was something interesting to see in each place and everywhere in-between.

Before arriving in Chestertown, however, I took a detour to discover what the town of Church Hill had to offer (such as an old church on a hill?) There was one, and, in fact it proved to be one of the oldest brick churches in the state. St. Luke's was finished in 1732 and cost 140,000 pounds of tobacco. (Actual money wasn't all that common back then, it appears.) Services had started 40 years earlier in another church on the same site.

Chestertown, on the Chester River, was once the second-most-active port in Maryland, exceeded only by Annapolis. After its designation as one of the Royal Ports of Entry, it became a center of commerce and the primary port for shipping tobacco. Many of the townspeople became wealthy and built impressive mansions for their families, most of which still stand. (Uh, the mansions that is…) Chestertown was eventually eclipsed by the port of Baltimore, and today it's a sleepy-but-historic village that relies heavily on tourism, boating, and Washington College.

The White Swan Tavern has been welcoming visitors off and on since the mid-1700s. It started life as Joseph Nicholson's home and was expanded over the years to serve as a tavern. One of its subsequent owners was the Reverend William H. Wilmer, who was apparently able to reconcile his roles as a preacher and tavern owner and who later became president of William and Mary College in Williamsburg, VA. The tavern is now a bed and breakfast.

Colin Stam, the town merchant and druggist, built Stam's Hall in 1886.

Even the alleyways in Chestertown were scenic.

As I wandered around, I heard a live jazz band playing. It turned out to be the Kent County High School band, performing at the town square farmer's market to raise money for a trip to the Gator Bowl. They were quite good and had a heckuva rhythm section (drums, base, and guitar). I bought an excellent cinnamon roll from an Amish farmer and happily enjoyed both the concert and the snack.

The fanciest mansions were built right along the Chester River on (naturally) Water Street. They were all in excellent condition and were quite a sight.

Widehall was my favorite. It was built by Thomas Smythe in 1770, but it posed a problem for eager (and boatless) photographers, since there was no way to get a good vantage point without Serious and Obvious Trespassing. For example, the view from the driveway was blocked by this weeping willow.

In 1936, photographer E. H. Pickering appears to have had the same problem, although caused by a now-departed tree rather than the yet-to-be weeping willow. (Historic photos courtesy of the Library of Congress.)

I eventually resorted to a long-distance photo of Widehall, taken from the bridge over the Chester River. Mr. Pickering just walked onto the front yard.

Not only that, he apparently managed to talk his way inside Widehall, with the following results. Quite a place!

At the river's edge, a platoon of geese were guarding the waterfront—and seemed very serious about their duties.

Or were they guarding the ducks, who were lazily sleeping late in the shadows? Maybe they take turns?

Thomas Smythe also built River House, three doors down from Widehall. According to the Kent County Historical Association, it was the last of the great mansions built before Chestertown's decline as a port. River House dates to about 1785, by which time the Federal style was taking over from the Georgian style used for Widehall.

E. H. Pickering also turned his camera to River House, with these results. Note the inelegant Georgian entranceway, which was apparently a later addition and was changed back to the original style sometime after the 1960s.

Chestertown is also full of interesting non-mansions, including this colorful example…

…this one, with hundreds and hundreds of little flags in honor of servicemen who have died in the line of duty…

…this former parsonage for the Methodist church…

…and this 1877 residence, which is now a bed and breakfast.

With a last look at this former public school, it was time to move on to the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge.

Along the way, I came across numerous farms. This one appears to be both active (based on its fields) and abandoned (based on its buildings).

And speaking of abandoned buildings, this home is not long for the world. Although its former dignity and purpose are gone, there is still a sad beauty in its weathered texture and lost history.

While this part of Maryland certainly qualifies as the proverbial "middle of nowhere," not all of the buildings were abandoned and in ruins. St. Paul's Episcopal Church has operated continuously since about 1715. Its cemetery seemed to go on forever, and I later learned that it covers 19 acres. The oldest headstones dated to 1727, and the famously free-spirited actress Tallulah Bankhead (1902-1968) is buried here.

(By the way, if you think Britney, Paris, and Lindsey are out of control, check out Tallulah's fascinating story here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallulah_Bankhead.)

The Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge was easy to find, and it offered many scenic views (and an uncountable number of ducks and geese).

This little pine cone was only 1 1/2 inches long, but its scales were incredibly sharp. (When did pinecones start developing defense mechanisms??)

There were dozens of bird watchers out and about, and some of them had spotted bald eagles. I'm still hoping to see one of these noble birds in the wild someday.

As I traveled on, Kent County seemed almost littered with abandoned houses. Behind more than one such house, there was an abandoned fishing boat as well.

Next up was Rock Hall, another historic town on the Eastern Shore. George Washington is known to have passed through here on at least 8 occasions, and for many years Rock Hall was the site of one of the Chesapeake Bay's largest shellfishing operations. When the Bay was largely fished out, the town began a long decline, which has been slowed only by an upsurge in recreational boating and an influx of retirees. This is Rock Hall harbor on the Chesapeake Bay.

Rock Hall has a small, eclectic museum that just happened to be open when I was passing by. It was open because the local Garden Club ladies were having a meeting there. (There were only three of them, and they all welcomed me like a long-lost brother.) The museum had all sorts of nifty items, including this relocated decoy carving workshop…

…an original Edison victrola…

…a restored "Fisherman" 1-cylinder marine engine that was "not pretty enough for yachts," but offered a "10-day free trial")…

…and this mysterious device. Care to take a guess?

After an excellent fried catfish sandwich from the Harbor Shack, it was time to head back to Chestertown and home. I ended up taking a very circuitous route, mostly because I was having a lot of fun and didn't want the trip to end. I took any road that had an interesting-sounding name, and most of them carried me even farther into the middle of nowhere. Inhabited houses were almost the exception. The uninhabited ones ranged from still salvageable…

…to barely standing. All of them evoked thoughts of years gone by and questions as to what happened to precipitate their decline.

At this low elevation, Fall colors were still evident, but, like the preceding house, their days are numbered.

Fortunately, Fall colors are just part of a cycle. Winter will come, to be followed by Spring, with its flowers, new buds, and new leaves. In this part of Maryland, Summer brings corn and other crops, which brings us back to Fall, harvested corn, and scenes like this one:

Once I stopped waxing moody and philosophical, I stumbled across this stately home with its unusual rooftop station (which I later learned is known as a "belvedere," from the Italian for "beautiful to view"). It overlooked the town of Melitota, and a sign on the gate indicated that this was Gobbler Hill. From subsequent "Internet research," I learned that it was built in 1858 by William Stephens, a prominent farmer, and is a rare example of the transition from the late Greek Revival to early Italianate style. It was renovated in 1988 and returned to its original configuration, based on early photographs and original drawings.

As the sun was starting to set, St. James Methodist Church suddenly appeared on the horizon, necessitating a photo stop. St. James was built some time after 1825 as a Protestant Episcopal church. In 1832, it was sold for $5.00 to the Methodists (who apparently know how to drive a hard bargain). After a slow start, the congregations grew, and the church has been quite active ever since.

I arrived back in Chestertown just as the sun was setting—which prompted a second trip on foot over the Chester River bridge to see if the sunset was photo-worthy. As it turned out, it most surely was!

Zooming in, here's one last picture of Widehall in a blaze of reflected sunlight.

Ah, the road home.

As these trips go, it was not one of the longest, and it didn't feature the most challenging roads for motorcycling or driving. But as a touring destination, it was hard to beat—there was history everywhere and fun places and things to discover around every corner.

Rick F.

PS: No old cars for John to identify? No flowers for Jody? What's the world coming to?
Last edited by Rick F. on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Re: Old and Older: The Eastern Shore of Maryland

Postby DogHouse » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:48 am

Spectacular.

05 R1200GS
97 Craftsman 19hp Riding Mower 42" cut
DogHouse
What? Again? Oy

Postby stevebmw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:47 am

Rick F. wrote:…and this mysterious device. Care to take a guess?

Death ray belonging to Ming the Merciless? :lol:
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Flash! » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Rick F. wrote:
PS: No old cars for John to identify? No flowers for Jody? What's the world coming to?

But still a treat! I'd begun to doubt that we'd see any more fall tours, and was pleased to see this one pop up. I spent a couple of days on the Eastern Shore this year (mainly to experience the rides across the Bay Bridge and the Bay Bridge Tunnel), and was sorry that I didn't take more time to explore the back roads. The abandoned houses are fascinating. And the shots in the Wildlife Refuge stunning.

Thank you!

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby BMWGirl » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:09 pm

GREAT report, Rick! Thanks so much for sharing it - I liked the pine cone and loved the house with the flags (what an expression).
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Unity » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:15 pm

I was curious about the pine cones too.

esajournals.org wrote:THE ADAPTIVE SIGNIFICANCE OF SPINES ON PINE CONES

Kimberly Coffey, Craig W. Benkman1, and Brook G. Milligan
Department of Biology, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003 USA

Besides woody cone scales, certain species of wind-dispersed pines (Pinus) have spines on their scales as a putative form of defense against seed predators. We tested whether spines differentially deterred seed predators foraging on closed and open pine cones. Red Crossbills (Loxia curvirostra) were selected as the seed predator because they commonly forage on these cones. We timed crossbills foraging on closed and open pine cones with and without spines. Crossbills did not require more time to remove seeds from closed ponderosa pine (P. ponderosa) cones with spines. However, crossbills required significantly more time (18–34%) to remove seeds from open ponderosa pine and Table Mountain pine (P. pungens) cones with spines than from cones whose spines had been removed. Moreover, experiments designed to isolate the effect of spines on the perching and probing behavior of crossbills revealed that spines hindered both activities additively. These experimental results were consistent with our phylogenetic analyses of 21 species of hard pines (subgenus Pinus). Whereas the evolution of changes in the length of time seeds are retained in closed cones and that of changes in the presence of spines appear independent, changes in the length of time seeds are retained in open cones were associated with changes in the presence or development of spines. Therefore, pines that retain seeds in open but not closed cones for extended periods tend to have well-developed spines. This illustrates the complementarity of experimental approaches and explicit phylogenetic models in elucidating ecological processes.

Read More: http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... lCode=ecol

Widehall seems to have grown a widow's walk after 1936. I wonder if it replaced an earlier one or was just the owner's fanciful idea.

Very nice, Rick. Thanks for the tour.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby Rick F. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 pm

DogHouse wrote:Spectacular.

Rick B.,

Appreciated!

Rick F.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm

stevebmw wrote:
Rick F. wrote:…and this mysterious device. Care to take a guess?

Death ray belonging to Ming the Merciless? :lol:

Steve,

Yours is the most entertaining guess so far, by a wide margin. My college roommate, however, has correctly identified the device. I'll announce the verdict in another day or two unless someone can come up with the right answer first.

Rick

PS: And where is Flash Gordon when we need him, anyway??

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:47 pm

Flash! wrote:
Rick F. wrote:

But still a treat! I'd begun to doubt that we'd see any more fall tours, and was pleased to see this one pop up. I spent a couple of days on the Eastern Shore this year (mainly to experience the rides across the Bay Bridge and the Bay Bridge Tunnel), and was sorry that I didn't take more time to explore the back roads. The abandoned houses are fascinating. And the shots in the Wildlife Refuge stunning.

Thank you!

Jody

Jody,

You're very welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed the end o' season Fall report.

I tend to think of the Eastern Shore as being made up of the beaches on the coast and innumerable chicken farms between here and there, but there really is a wealth of history on display.

So you rode your RS across the Bay Bridge (steel grates and all)? I never went across on my GS, although I did take the Route 4 bridge at Solomon's Island a couple of times. (It's nowhere near as long, but it might be almost as high.) Anyway, you rock! (As always.)

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:52 pm

BMWGirl wrote:GREAT report, Rick! Thanks so much for sharing it - I liked the pine cone and loved the house with the flags (what an expression).

Tina,

Thanks! The pine cone was very cute, if a little dangerous (hmmm, who does that remind me of??), and the "house with the flags" was actually quite moving. They had a large sign on the side lawn that said "Remember them." I think each little flag had the name of a serviceman or woman on it, although they had been out so long that the ink/toner had faded. But it was a very thoughtful message to passers-by.

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:04 pm

Unity wrote:Image

I was curious about the pine cones too.

esajournals.org wrote:THE ADAPTIVE SIGNIFICANCE OF SPINES ON PINE CONES

Kimberly Coffey, Craig W. Benkman1, and Brook G. Milligan
Department of Biology, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico 88003 USA

Besides woody cone scales, certain species of wind-dispersed pines (Pinus) have spines on their scales as a putative form of defense against seed predators. We tested whether spines differentially deterred seed predators foraging on closed and open pine cones. Red Crossbills (Loxia curvirostra) were selected as the seed predator because they commonly forage on these cones. We timed crossbills foraging on closed and open pine cones with and without spines. Crossbills did not require more time to remove seeds from closed ponderosa pine (P. ponderosa) cones with spines. However, crossbills required significantly more time (18–34%) to remove seeds from open ponderosa pine and Table Mountain pine (P. pungens) cones with spines than from cones whose spines had been removed. Moreover, experiments designed to isolate the effect of spines on the perching and probing behavior of crossbills revealed that spines hindered both activities additively. These experimental results were consistent with our phylogenetic analyses of 21 species of hard pines (subgenus Pinus). Whereas the evolution of changes in the length of time seeds are retained in closed cones and that of changes in the presence of spines appear independent, changes in the length of time seeds are retained in open cones were associated with changes in the presence or development of spines. Therefore, pines that retain seeds in open but not closed cones for extended periods tend to have well-developed spines. This illustrates the complementarity of experimental approaches and explicit phylogenetic models in elucidating ecological processes.

Read More: http://www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1 ... lCode=ecol

Widehall seems to have grown a widow's walk after 1936. I wonder if it replaced an earlier one or was just the owner's fanciful idea.

Very nice, Rick. Thanks for the tour.

--John

John,

Thanks for finding the article about the pine cone scale splines, which was very informative and indicates that the cones actually have developed defense mechanisms. (In addition, who could resist the catchy line "This illustrates the complementarity of experimental approaches and explicit phylogenetic models in elucidating ecological processes" (or TITCOEAAEPMIEEP for short...).

I noticed the widow's walk addition, too, but I don't know whether it was a replacement or a later addition. Also, as best I can tell, the little spring house with the cupola is a later addition. It doesn't seem to appear in Pickering's first photo from the driveway. If so, they did a good job of maintaining an original appearance.

Rick

PS: I'm willing to bet that you already were familiar with the term "belvedere." Your vocabulary never fails to impress me.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Slider » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Great pics once again!! You even got a pic of one of the old family homes!!
Slider
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Slider wrote:Great pics once again!! You even got a pic of one of the old family homes!!

SliderMan,

For real? You used to live in one of these houses?? Tell us more!

Of course, I pictured a wide range of homes (e.g., from Widehall to the shack with the collapsed roof)... Regardless, enquiring minds want to know.

Rick

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Hmmm, so let me guess, Self-portrait, right? :lol:

very nice pics dude, I esp. like the "bugs eye view" corncob photo!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Dough Boy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:32 pm

Very nice, Rick!
Dough Boy

Next

Return to Ride Stories