Helmut's coast to coast trip....kind of....Part7 (The End)

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Helmut's coast to coast trip....kind of....Part7 (The End)

Postby helmut » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Oct-7th

From Florence I took more back roads hitting towards Atlanta to visit my old ridding buddy Vern. Huge cotton fileds started to manifest and I randomly changed directions as I drifting East. Eventually I hit Gunterville, a nice little city at a lake of the dammed Tennessee river. In the harbor they had replicas of Columbus' Nina and Pinto, and later on I found a nice overlook on a hill. In this area the farming fields had substantially decreased in size and the little communities I passed thru looked nice and showed all kinds of micro business activity.

After getting stuck a tad in Atlanta rush hour I made it to Vern's place.. In wise foresight Vern had assembled a nice selection of cold ones. So we sat, drank some beer and chatted and were later joined by his neighbor Mark, a Chef who also has succumbed to the motorcycle "disease", and beer drinking.

Oct-8th thru Oct-12th

Drinking beer with Vern, lot's of it, and consequently only got one riding day in. At least I got the oil changed and new front brake pads on. Vern's recycling bins were finally filled to capacity and it was time to say good-bye and move on.

Oct-12th
Leaving Atlanta I hit north and after about 60 miles of city and suburbia traffic on straight slab I was rewarded with some mountains and windy roads. Noteworthy for sustained tight turns, was a road called "Warwoman Road" leading to Rt28, which featured more tight turns. Soon after, some severe rain set in, and accompanied me for the rest of the ride. I was hitting towards Asheville, where Sam had kindly offered me place to stay. The last hour of the ride went over tightly winding mountain roads. It was pitch-black, raining and windy, leaves on the road, and various invisible ruts or stones upset the bike at times. So I was glad when I finally made it to Sam's place, where I was greeted with licking, not by Sam, but the dogs. Needless to say that Sam and Sarah were very accommodating. Unfortunately Sam had to leave a while later to work night shift.

Oct-13th
Following Sam's recommendation I rode to the Barbarossa biker bar, taking various rewarding detours. I was the only guest and after having some sodas and a burger I hit into Asheville and hooked up with Alan at the "Wedge Brewery". This place also has artist studios attached to it. The visiting crowd, and a flock of frolicking dogs, reflected the artsy connection in a most pleasant way. I did meet some good folks and phone numbers were exchanged.
As for the days ride: The roads around Asheville are twisty heaven. And the autumn leaves were making for a stunning display in these rolling, almost mountain like hills.

Oct-14th
I got up fairly early to print, review and file my 2009 tax return one day before the final extension deadline. After that, I rode some random back roads, and as night set in I ended up in downtown Asheville, at "Jack in the Woods". There I supplemented two superb India Pale Ales with a tasty Irish stew, whilst talking to a young fellow being in town for construction business. Afterwards, I took a walk thru downtown finding that Asheville strikes me as one of the few cities in the U.S. which truly displays what I consider a good old-fashioned European feel. People are walking on the street, there are shops, and beware and behold: Strangers will greet you as you walk along. I love it.

Oct-15th
Well, I've been on the road 6 weeks now, and it was a great time, but I did feel ready to go home. Sam had put this very nicely the day before: " Not sure what I like better: To see my house disappear in the rear view mirrors. Or its view over the handle bars, as I get home."
I packed up and after some chat with Sarah I left and rode two hours on the Blue Ridge Parkway, soaking in the views and cursing the inept car drivers, which there were plenty of. I finally abandoned the Parkway for some fun back roads and after a day of exquisite riding I ended up in Marion , VA in a cheap and well kept motel (Virginia Inn), with a family eatery right across the road. Bingo.

Oct-16th
It was my grandmother's 99th birthday today. She is a miracle woman, still tending her own house and garden, plus being more mentally alert than most younger folks. It took me a while to get a phone connection to Germany, and I finally got on the road by 10am. It was another stunning sunny day, and I thought I make my way back to Baltimore by day's end. Alas, the roads and the bike had a mind on their own. After 220 miles of mostly twisties I ended up in Franklin, WV.

Oct-17th

Another glorious sunny day. Taking some back roads I scooted towards Baltimore and made it home by 4pm. That is, I made it to the Daniels biker bar. After a beer and a chicken wrap I pulled in my garage by 6pm. It was a strange, yet good feeling to be home again after 6 weeks on the road.

In 12900 miles I went thru 4 oil filters, 2 oil changes, 1 rear tire, front brake pads, numerous gallons of beer and a front tire. It will probably take a while to process the numerous and marvelous sights along the way, and it will also take a couple of days to settle in again at home. Today I will start this process with getting a new front tire on. The gear and final drive oils need to be changed and the valves need adjusting. Hi, alright! Looks like I'm getting ready for the next trip!\

hellebauer who?
helmut

Return to Ride Stories