Not so much a story....

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Not so much a story....

Postby Maria V » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:18 pm

...as a collection of pics as I have wandered along on the new-to-me 6fiddy.
My first ride, (not even legal yet shhhhhh) and found some unpaved roads around the house.

I found a lovely field of sunflowers that same day.

A few weeks afterwards, my old friend Andy came by on his new-to-him 1150R, in silver-the-fastest-color. Look how clean those wheels are! Bike never looked that good when I had it...made me miss it just a lil bit.

Then on another beeeyooootiful weekend, I wandered thru Baltimore County and came across this on Western Run Road.

I enhanced the scenery with the bike.

I have passed the barn a few times on other rides. It has been under renovation for the past 8 months and is just beautiful tucked onto the hill.

On yet another weekend ride, I followed a road I wondered about. Masemore Rd is off of Mt Carmel Road in Hereford,and Masemore is one of the builder names painted in our 1897 barn.
The road narrows to one lane and wraps around this old mill building

This is the other side of the mill, but you really don't get a sense of how narrow the road is, how blind the corner is, and the wall of rock on the opposite side of the road.

Here is the plaque on the side of the mill:

A visit to the website Maryland Historical Trust/Inventory of Historic Properties shows the original site inventory done in 1978. Built in 1797, it is located on an original land grant from Lord Baltimore, and the last mill owner was Mr. Masemore. The report stated that little could be done to further damage the integrity of the mill. But the report also indicated it had recently been coverted to a home, and still had the steel wheel attached.

On to other sites: I came across this old bank barn that had been coverted into a home. Beautiful.

Then I paid a visit to Old Barn Road in Parkton, off of Middletown Road. During our earlier house search a few years ago, Andi and I came upon this road. I could not get a pic of the barn the road was named for...too far off the road and sheltered by trees. However, at the time of our original visit, we came upon a shell of a bank barn, burned down to the stone foundation. Well look what someone did:

They are still doing site work, but wow.
This country living is rubbing off on me, because I want to live there!

And finally, my trek today took me along some more unpaved roads near the house. I came upon this:

Some cows seemed interested in my visit.

Tooling along, the road narrowed and warned of a one-lane bridge. I did not anticipate needing to wait for this:

I knew enough to suspect it was a buddy ride with some horses to get them used to new things, so I waited patiently while they passed me.

Then on Stone ROad between 97 and 194, I stopped to shoot this barn just off the road:

And it seemed to be associated with the stone house across the road.

And to wrap up my day...on the way home I took a shot of this barn on 194, just south of Taneytown. The property is not abandoned but they sure seem to be finished with the barn.

The End. :D
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Re: Not so much a story....

Postby Rick F. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:47 pm

Maria,

Bravo! Great pictures, great report.

But no fair—you found all kinds of places that I've never seen or even heard of. (Will you take me along on your next trip? :D )

Finally, your new GS looks great. I'm glad you've been out exploring.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Flash! » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Really nice pictures, Maria! Isn't it fun to wander and not worry when the road turns to gravel?!!

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Maria V » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:20 pm

Rick, your comment sounds familiar...can I go along with you sometime?
And Jody, yes I am enjoying the bike. No worries about being too top heavy blah blah blah. Just zip along. :D
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Return to Ride Stories