Helmut's coast to coast trip....kind of....Part1

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Helmut's coast to coast trip....kind of....Part1

Postby helmut » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:52 pm

After 6 weeks and 12900 miles on the road I've returned full of memories, a load of pics and a bike in need of some more service, besides what was done on the road. I also kept a log, which will be posted in parts. Enjoy

Helmut

************************************************************************************

Aug-31
Starting my coast to coast trip with my two best friends. The three of us (Me,Myself and I) got a late start at 2.30pm. Boring ride from Baltimore to Winchester. Took Rt50 W , and it looked like everyone else was moving west that day. Very sluggish moving the first half of the ride, got much better on the second half. At night fall l found a place in Parkersburg, WV....not easy, most places were booked by gas pipeline workers. Most of them were from Texas, ended up drinking some beer with them on the motel parking lot.

Sept-1
Was on the road by 7am. Took RT33 to Colombus, OH and then jumped on 70W. Around Dayton I abandoned 70W in favour of some backroad riding and moving West on old RT40. Pretty boring countryside, speckled with small rangers surrounded by sterile looking 3 acre grass lots. Kept on moving on RT40, which lead thru Richmond (Indiana). That town had seen better times, just like others. After that I jumped back on RT70W in order to make some way. Around Peoria,IL I had 70miles thru rain. The clouds eased up and then surprise, I found that riding thru the flats can be a pretty thing. The reminder of the storm clouds turned into some of the prettiest clouds I have ever seen. With the lower standing sun they displayed many different shapes and streaks in various colors. Didn't even try to take a picture, since it would have been an even more futile attempt than taking a picture of the Grand Canyon. Them pictures never do these things justice.
Ended up in Iowa City after night fall in a bed and breakfast place

Sept-2
The third day of the trip. There is a saying that all good things are "three", but that is not always true. The worst thing what happened today was getting the news that riding buddy of mine had an accident and lost his left leg. After having said this, the rest reads rather benign.
Remember the battle of Waterloo?( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Waterloo) . In Waterloo, Iowa I encountered a little battle on my own. First I accidentally missed RT27N and continued on Rt380. Only for a mile or so, but what I saw were the worst edge traps ever. It was impossible to switch lanes for hundereds of feet. Them edge traps were 10 inches wide and a good 6 inches deep. Yikes. After I got my heading back on RT27N ( a devided 4 lane highway) I went for 20 miles enjoying blue skies and very light traffic. And here she came. Some granny drove her car on the left line, straight as an arrow, just in the wrong direction. I tried to wave her down but granny was just shooting by me, not showing any sign of acknowledgment. I felt the urge to turn around and brake her out, but then opted not to do it and continue on my way. This situation was a toss, on hindsight. As I continued on my way I started to feel some almost painful pinching in my intestines. Given the fact that my doctor just "diagnosed" me with diverticulitis 2 days before my trip this did not make for a happy situation. I also started to feel a tad feverish, so I decided to stop and get a fever thermometer and my temperature turned out somewhat ok. So much for Waterloo.
After that came the obligatory rain spells, followed by some severe and gusty side winds, which were sustained for hours. At times it got too unsafe to ride the highway, so I opted occasionally to take some parallel running and virtually deserted back roads. Made it to Mitchell, SD and stayed in a ok motel for the night.

Sept-3rd
Started the ride from Mitchell, SD around 10am. Talked to some friendly folks beforehand and they recommended that I visit the Corn Palace, right down the road. They also showed me a picture of it, which convinced me to not visit the "Corny Palace". Just like I did not visit the worlds biggest yarn ball.
The day seemed sunny, I decided not to dress up a whole lot and jumped on 90W. 15 miles later I pulled over and added another layer of clothing. That damn wind was blowing again at 35mph straight from the front.So I was able to do 85mph with just light wiggling from the occasional side gust. Did I mention that I ride my GS naked, without windshield. Some say this builds character. I'm not sure about that, but I know it builds neck muscles.
At a rest stop, around 200 miles form Sturgis, I had a good chicken rice stew and talked a tad with the friendly attendant. She said she is always amused how the Harley bikers do trailer their bikes in, and then ride the last stretch from her area to Sturgis. Her little township has 100 souls, but she didn't befriend any of them, too close for comfort she said. Her friends live all 10 or more miles away.
As I continued on and crossed the bridge at Chamberlain, where the landscape suddenly changed from flat endless cornfields (Natures' Corn Palace) to little rolling grassy hills. Not really spectacular, but a major treat after 2 days of flat cornfields. The hills turned into flat grass land and then I could see the ragged tops of the badlands on the horizon.
I resisted the urge to stop at the famous Wall Drug store and pimp out my bike with Wall Drug stickers, instead I hit 244? and rode thru the badlands hitting East again. Very pretty, and desolate. Also there were a lot of tourists. I then took Rt.44 towards Rapid City. Now this was a really gorgeous ride. I had this road to myself and the views were exquisite.
Thru Rapid City I made it to Sturgis were 600.000 chromo-sexuals (aka Harley dudes) just recently had their annual meeting. From there I ended up in Spearfish, were I shall rest for the night. Truth be told, I just applied liberal amounts of BenGay to my overworked neck muscles.

hellebauer who?
helmut

Return to Ride Stories