Summer West Coast Ride

Tell Us About Your Rides!

Summer West Coast Ride

Postby endobobdds » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Had a fantastic summer ride! Left on 2 July and had 3 weeks of fantastic weather riding 5,500 miles on mostly 2 lane roads with stops in Colorado, Yosemite, the BMWSporttouring UnRally at Topaz Lake, NV; MOA rally in Oregon, and ending up in Seattle, WA. Flew home and worked for most of August and then flew back to Seattle on Aug 25th. Attended my nephews wedding in Spokane and then road another 4,200 miles again on mostly 2 lane roads back to DC via Yellowstone, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Badlands, and up over Lake Michigan.

Bike is handling like a race horse after having new Ohlins shocks installed at the MOA. :D

Yellowstone is simply magical! Saw up close buffalo, elk, and mule deer. I had planned to camp in the park but was told that they expected snow that night. Fortunate to get one of the last 2 rooms in the park. My room a nice but modest 1 bed room for $150 the other was a suite for $575. The snow did come that night and for some reason it was the only night I did not put the cover on the bike. Had to chip off ice and brush off the snow before leaving the next morning.

Had some excitement meeting animals on the road. Hit a wild turkey crossing the road that twisted my right mirror and rotated the front brake lever back and down about 2 inches. I had cows on a couple of occasions wandering in the roads. However, the stranger thing was about 50 miles after heading SE from Glacier National Park, I came upon a group of about 9 horses that were along the 2 lane road I was on that decided to run along in front of me blocking both lanes for 2 - 3 minutes until they finally went off the road up a hill.

I rode for over 5 hours in light rain after leaving Yellowstone. Had a nice Montana policeman pull me over. He said I was going 82 in a 75 zone but the real reason was to warn me that I had no headlight! This of course I knew (bulb had gone out the day before), however, I did not know that in Montana you apparently need to run with headlights on and he requested I keep my high beam on as I passed through.

After a short stop at Devils Tower, I stopped in Sturgis, SD at a BMW dealership to have the low beam replaced. This 3 hour stop had an additional benefit. It put me back on the road in the late afternoon on some fantastic roads that had very little traffic on them at that time of day. Southwestern South Dakota (Needles highway, and others) is truly a motorcyclist dream!

Got home 8:30 PM on Labor Day and back to work and the real world the next day at 8:00 AM.
Bob Smyth
'18 GSA, Triple Black
'04 K1200RS (Blue/White)
'02 K1200RS (Black - retired :cry: )
endobobdds
Board Guru

Re: Summer West Coast Ride

Postby Flash! » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:05 am

:D What a wonderful summer and a great ride you had!! It sounds similar to one we had planned (minus the "work" part!), but fell through. Maybe next summer.

Jody
You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to
skydive twice.

2012 F650GS, Yellow and Black
Flash!
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Bob,

Wow, what a great pair of trips! I would be totally envious if I weren't already downright jealous...

Thanks for sharing your trip highlights with us.

Rick
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby ERC Scott » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 am

Sounds like a nice trip -- Yosemite & and the Sierra's are on my list. Given your occupation, it's fortunate the turkey strike didn't damage your hand! Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Chiba » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 am

Pics or it didn't happen :)

--chiba
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby Blaster229 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:52 pm

Here you go Chiba. I got your back with a few pics Bob :) The bike is accurate in two of them as well :)

Here is a pic of Sturgis Yami/BMW :)

and of devils tower lol

and a picture of a cop out west :) One working, one not. lol

Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:20 pm

That bike was black? I would have SWORN it was tan, or whatever that color was. Yikes! I must be getting old. #-o
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby Hello Kitty » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Glad you had such great trips, Bob! BTW, I'm finally getting my tooth fixed permanently. Again, I can't thank you enough for your help with that.
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Return to Ride Stories