An airhead ride thru northern VA rendered in HDR.

Tell Us About Your Rides!

An airhead ride thru northern VA rendered in HDR.

Postby RocketMan » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:54 pm

So now that I have my work-flow pretty much figured out on the new Linux system I went for a nice ride Friday, south from Woodbridge down toward Orange, Rapidan, back up toward Culpepper and then east by north and hone, with a stop right near me home to visit Rippon Lodge, and old homestead up on a hill the end of the Nebasco Creek Wetlands that feeds into the Potomac River. It is one of the many historical river front estates dating back several hundred years or more. This one is somewhat unique in that is sits back from the river proper up on hill overlooking the Neabsco Creek where it widens out into a marsh land before entering the river about a half a mile from the point on which the house sits. You can find those shots are in a separate report about Rippon Lodge.

All in all, it was an ice 6 hour ride with stops for pics. All these were run thru the new work-flow, three exposures per shot, aligned and fused and then creating two tone mapped versions of the HDR which i layered onto the base image using various transparency settings and doing final touch-up with Gimp. All but the final touch-up was batch processed which allowed me to go do other stuff while it ran. A few photos did not align well so I created a set of three exposures from a single RAW image and processed the results as the others.

So on with the report....on the outbound south along 28 to 806...
some nice old barns.. Not sure what happened to the color in the first shot???

A narrow bridge along the ride and a nice old wooden fence right beyond it,..

and another old barn with some old things in front.. I like old things...guess you have noticed that?

An interesting blueish colored house, yes it really is this color its not a white-balance problem with the image!

Taken somewhere...
At one point on the right I found myself in Batna, you all have heard of Batna, right? NO? A town This big and you've never heard of it?

I like old wooden fences, a fact some are probably already familiar with.. they make great photographic subjects, especially old wooden ones....

later on I came upon this...fallen but still growing..

A while later I came to the merge of 615 and 522 near the town of Winston (another one of those towns I'm sure everyone is familiar with!) where I saw this old stone church, the marker just up the road said the church was located 2 miles south, but this could not have been more than 50-100 yards down, hmmmm

Michaels Presbyterian Church
From the Va historical marker
"Built in 1879, this Gothic Revival church stands two miles of this location. It contains an elaborate example of trompe-l’oeil fresco painting done in 1888. Joseph Dominick Phillip Oddenino, an Italian immigrant artist, painted to deceive the eye into believing that his plaster murals of Gothic arches, Renaissance-styled cornices, and embellished Corinthian columns were three dimensional. The ceiling is decorated with geometric designs." 1879? Not All That old for these parts...
Located at the intersection of Zachary Taylor Highway (U.S. 522) and Winston Road (Virginia Route 617) on Zachary Taylor Highway."

I'm not 100% sure this is The church the plaque refers to, one because its to close if the marker is to be trusted and two, because the date stone in the tower says 1908, Hmmmmm ???

I love old doors...

What I assume is the marker stone for one corner of the lot

Not sure of the route that got me into the area of Rapidan, but here a some pics from around that area
as rode toward Rapidan I passed thru some small town with a nice little park where this caboose was parked on a section of railway, usually this are metal and at least somewhat restored, but not this one, wooden and ready to fall apart...

a funny little house across the street, like the use of the corner for a small covered porch.

What I assume is the Rapidan River with an old church steeple in the background.

and an old mill, the Rapidan Mill, to be exact...

A bit further on I passed this rather odd attempt at building a small scale cathedral style church..

and some random pictures along the way home..

the next two are a set the first being the HDR made from three separate shots, notice the ghosting due to wind movement? The second one is from taking a single RAW image and saving two additional copies with over and under exposure setting, doing this means there will be no ghosting from wind movement but still gives a nice HDR tonal blending and range.

and an old wooden pier in a farm pond fallen into disrepair...with some very very fresh chickens in the background..

and you thought Rick's reports were long! :lol:
RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: An airhead ride thru northern VA rendered in HDR.

Postby Unity » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:46 pm

Almost too much to comment on! (But that won't stop me.) That style of gas pump died when gas went beyond 99.9¢ per gallon (the .9 being rendered 9/10). Some former farm kid needs to tell us what that piece of farm equipment is -- I don't have a clue. Your impostor church is keen, but now somebody needs to find the 1879 one with its trompe l'oeil frescoes. The caboose is amazing, if kind of sad. Your post has a near-record amount of texture. Heck, it might even be the new record!

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Great job Jeff, without being overdone. I especially like this one.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby RocketMan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:59 am

Unity wrote:Almost too much to comment on! (But that won't stop me.) That style of gas pump died when gas went beyond 99.9¢ per gallon (the .9 being rendered 9/10). Some former farm kid needs to tell us what that piece of farm equipment is -- I don't have a clue. Your impostor church is keen, but now somebody needs to find the 1879 one with its trompe l'oeil frescoes. The caboose is amazing, if kind of sad. Your post has a near-record amount of texture. Heck, it might even be the new record!

--John

well from some of the research I've been doing and at least according to the historical marker database and map, that one is in fact the right church. be nice to get a look inside....

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:08 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Image

Great job Jeff, without being overdone. I especially like this one.

Jim :brow

well since posting these I've found a few ways to help recover some of the shadows in gimp by playing with the brightness and white balance levels of the mantick06 tone mapped layer (that has the color enhansement infomation) then using a "fader" slider in gimp to play down the effect of the brightness settings that only work on sepecific areas. what I really like about this workflow is the total lack of halo's around objects of high contrast such as between the sky and tree line or buildings that are so often appearant in tone-mapped images. the use of layering several tone maps seems to be the trick, plus being able to work on each layer individually.
I really got a kick out of the railcar myself, and yes it is kind of sad looking in a forlone sort of way!

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby Rick F. » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 pm

RM,

Excellent report, although a bit on the short side … :lol:

As I read through the write-up, enjoying the pictures, it began to dawn on me that I had been to many of these same places a year or so ago (see A Rainy Excusion to Virginia). I was especially fond of Rapidan, which is a "must" destination for any BMW rider or driver in this area. The weathered caboose looks about the same in your pictures as it did when I was there, so I was glad to see that it hadn't entirely fallen apart by now.

I also loved the old stone church. I wasn't able to find any documentation on it--either during my trip or later on, back home--so I'm glad you were able to (possibly) identify it.

BTW, this was my favorite of your pictures:

Regarding the "blueish colored house," isn't that an old church? (Maybe you meant "house of worship"?) Or is it actually a home-house? (If so, I want to live there.)

Thanks again for the great photos and report.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Return to Ride Stories